Writing In "English"

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (29 posts)
  1. posinfo profile image61
    posinfoposted 11 years ago

I am based in the UK and such I would use British spellings for words eg I would spell "flavour" rather than "flavor" . When writing Hubs that are aimed largely for the US market, should I use US spellings for words? I do want to come across as phoney , but at the same time want to use language and spellings that my target audience is comfortable with.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Best wishes

Mark

1. profile image0
      Lesleysherwoodposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have just recently changed my stance on that solely for the search engines and a hint from hubpages title tuner saying I would have more views with the spelling color, not colour.  I don't feel comfortable with it though, as Simone says the unique flavour adds.

posinfoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

thank you for following me and your helpful observations.

2. galleryofgrace profile image71
      galleryofgraceposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Articles that do not follow the rules will be flagged. Below is straight from the rules.

At this time, HubPages only allows articles written in English. If you have written a Hub that is primarily written, titled, or tagged in a language other than English, your Hub will be unpublished. Because the HubPages community uses English as its common language, we require Hubs to be published in English so that they are readable by all of our users. Please translate your writing into grammatically correct English...........

1. MelissaBarrett profile image57
        MelissaBarrettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Um...  Both UK and American English ARE English.  It could be argued that UK English is technically the most correct English since that's where England actually is.

Thanks.

2. kohuether profile image64
          kohuetherposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I would hope galleryofgrace didn't entirely read the thread - otherwise it seemed like a silly thing to share with us!

2. kohuether profile image64
        kohuetherposted 11 years agoin reply to this

He's writing in English! Thanks for sharing, though.

2. Simone Smith profile image87
    Simone Smithposted 11 years ago

Most UK Hubbers stick with British spellings and I've never heard of their being a problem with that.

Personally, I like the unique flavor it adds!

1. snakeslane profile image81
      snakeslaneposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This is good to know. I've been using US spelling, but sometimes I slip. Guess it's best to be consistent.

2. posinfo profile image61

Thanks.

3. 2uesday profile image65
    2uesdayposted 11 years ago

Simone can I ask you,  will the English spelling be OK when the hubs are checked by Mechanical Turk Q.A. workers?

I don't dock for it...  I have a feeling most MTurk raters wouldn't either.

1. 2uesday profile image65
        2uesdayposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Melissa, this is something that I have never been sure about and I know that there are more spelling difference than the few that I am aware of.

4. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

I write in "American" just because most of my readers are in the US.  But I doubt it matters much either way.

Thanks

5. profile image0
    Anonymous00posted 11 years ago

Write in whichever style best suits you. Looking forward to reading it.

Thanks

6. profile image0
    Jennifer Angelposted 11 years ago

Actually, writing the Queen's English is more intriguing than an British based writer; writing American English. Then again, it depends on who you want to attract to your hubs. If you are selling something, then most definitely try to capture us American's by using the proper American English, but if you are talking about Holiday destinations from a British stand point, I would rather read your own English. The genre you write with, depends on the audience you want to attract. I would say, start a few in UK English and then do them in American English, watch your analytics and see who goes to which one the most. You may have to watch for a 3 month period to get enough information on your hubs to generate a true direction, but may be worth it. :-)

Hope this helps!

Thanks that is very helpful.

7. freecampingaussie profile image61
    freecampingaussieposted 11 years ago

Interesting question as I always write & spell words how we were taught to at school in New Zealand . It would seem weird deliberatly changing how we spell them !

Thanks

8. StegToDiffer profile image60
    StegToDifferposted 11 years ago

Honestly, a lot Americans don't know the correct spelling anyhow.

Thankyou.

9. Abbyfitz profile image73
    Abbyfitzposted 11 years ago

That's sad but true

10. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

...arguably the most English English there is. LOL.

11. profile image0
    bluevineposted 11 years ago

I sort of have the same problem, but since I type in MSWord before transferring to my hub, I tend to accept the American English spell-check recommendations.

Frankly, I'd say you stay true to yourself regardless of whether people might think you phoney or not. And if you do decide to continue with British spellings, be rest assured that it couldn't possibly undermine your articles (hubs) as the average American is abreast with all manner of English spellings and the quality of your hubs hinges more on the quality of the content and not the type of English.

12. LindaSmith1 profile image60
    LindaSmith1posted 11 years ago

Flavor  Flavour who cares. If somebody can read, they will know what the word means. The only stumbling block is that there are UK words which Americans may not know, and there are those that the UK meaning is totally different than ours.

Most times those few words with different meanings will be picked up through context for normal readers.

As far as MTurk raters go HP has been remarkable effective at "training" us to look up any word we don't know the definition of.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)