The 40th anniversary of Roe versus Wade

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (32 posts)
  1. LauraD093 profile image71
    LauraD093posted 11 years ago

It has been forty years but this ruling still troubles some people. What are your personal views?

http://news.yahoo.com/roe-v-wade-turns- … 45029.html

1. Stacie L profile image88
      Stacie Lposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Jane Roe appears in the video stating that she now regrets her decision
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvcdIovYRVY

1. profile image0
        Brenda Durhamposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yep.  She's gained a lot of wisdom after she grew up, apparently, and is brave and right to speak out against abortion.   Even though she never actually had an abortion (thank God).   Proves that a person doesn't always have to experience something to know it's wrong or right.

The Court case is a sad commentary on how evil laws, once embedded in our society, are hard to get overturned.    Like the horrid laws Obama has put in place, and is trying to put in place.   It may take years for America to recant those wrongs. 

And it's a sad commentary on what lawyers will do to win a case.

Apparently 40 years hasn't helped.    I seriously, though, think that those polls may be wrong.   It's hard for me to believe that a majority of Americans don't want Roe v. Wade overturned,  if they actually know what the Court case meant.    It might be a good thing to actually put it to a vote for all citizens to decide.    But then.......such is the liberal agenda that some groups would make a huge outcry and get their way again just like they did when California voters outlawed gay marriage.    It's time for conservative Americans to start hollering louder than the Left, and time to stop allowing people with an immoral agenda to be Judges and Senators and Presidents.

The Left is strong in their rebellion against rightful laws.   They,  yes, have an agenda, a wicked one, and try to keep using Roe v. Wade as a proper basis for their so-called "civil" rights.
        Rather like atheists/evolutionists use Darwin's name and writings as the basis for biological evolution,  when in fact Darwin never proved anything about evolution at all!   Nor did he claim to, from what I've read.   He simply put forth a theory (based on extremely uneducated and slight information)  that anti-Biblical people try to use as a basis for humans coming from some monkey ancestor.

It is a sad state of society,  that we use Roe v. Wade as the base for legalization of killing babies.  AND taking away the rights of males to have a say in whether their unborn child is allowed to live or is killed!

America is known for correcting the wrongs it does.   Slavery was unConstitutional,  and finally America corrected that.   But not when it should've.   'Cause slavery should've never been.   
        So it's saddening and maddening that our legal system would've ever advocated for abortion in the first place.   Seems to me we needed (and still need) some Judges who actually have good morals.

It's unconscienable to me that America ever allowed Roe v. Wade to be in effect.  It's unconscienable that a Court would've ever even heard the case of a confused lonely woman who thought she wanted to abort her child!    She should've been given counseling and friendship and any advice and help possible to change her circumstances in life without feeling like she should abort her child.   What she got was the chance to be used as a pawn in a political game.

2. LauraD093 profile image71
        LauraD093posted 11 years agoin reply to this

oops sorry I meant to say thanks Stacie for the link (see I must be getting old and forgetful) both comments made are greatly appreciated.

2. profile image0
    Brenda Durhamposted 11 years ago

Laura, 
    I think you'll find that a question about Roe v. Wade will get few thoughtful responses unless it's hijacked by people who want to call unborn babies "parasites" etc., or whine about women's rights while ignoring the fact that it takes two people to make a baby.
    So many people want to ignore the subject of abortion and the impact of rotten laws on American society.    But yet a thread about money or "civil" rights usually seems endless..............

Brenda thanks for your comments---throughout different stages of my life I have felt about and looked at  Roe versus Wade in varied ways...I was shocked to realize it has been 40 years...sigh I'm getting old lol  Thank you for also posting the link I found it extremely interesting.

3. profile image0

You're welcome Laura.
    I'm glad you did this thread, actually.  It reminds me that I've been meaning to go to the library and rent "Jane Roe"'s book................

Her name is actually Norma McCorvey, and she has two books....
    I Am Roe, and Won By Love.

Will be making a trip myself, would really like to read her book. Thanks

1. profile image0

You're welcome.
        I am actually right now checking out my local library online.   It's changed so much;  there is no longer a "card catalog" like it used to be.   We still have the actual library here in town with a very helpful librarian who orders books we want,  but even it has an online website etc.  linked to all the County libraries where a person can order books themselves to be sent to a particular library.   Pretty neat really!  Even though I miss the old card catalog.   I don't take change very well.   But it's useful actually since I'm rather disabled these days,  so I can order it from my computer.   smile

If you think of it, let me know what you think of McCorvey's books,  if you read them!?   I'll do the same!
        One or both of us could even do a review hub of it!   (Dunno if we both did it, if it would be thought of as duplicate content or not)........but who cares who does it,  I think it's a very timely and important topic!  Probably THE most important topic of our society today.

By the way,  a hubber named Verily Prime has some great hubs on Abortion,  if you'd like to read them.   I don't know how to post a link to them, sorry,  but they can be found from his profile page.

thanks will do!

1. profile image0

I've ordered the books.
            In the meantime, there is video footage available in which Norma tells the story too.

http://youtu.be/YQzdMv6nW4o

1. Jean Bakula profile image92
              Jean Bakulaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Brenda,
              I was surprised to find out it's been 40 years too. Many younger women have no clue what the case was even about. I think many women who had abortions regretted it, and even if they didn't at the time, it was not a decsion they causually made. I wish more birth control education was available for young people, as I don't like to see "babies' having "babies." I didn't know the woman's name, I am also interested in reading her story.

I didn't know you were having trouble getting around. Can you afford a Kindle? I got the Paperwhite one for Christmas, as I have a chronic back issue and read a lot to take my mind off it. It's great to be able to download books from Amazon in less than a minute. Thanks for the link.

I still think women should have the right to choose, but have mellowed since 1973.

1. profile image0

I understand the confusion and immaturity of youth, believe me.
                Yes, I'm sure many young women didn't make the decision lightly, and they regretted it if they did take it lightly.
                And I realize that some advocates for the "right to choose" are hoping that women will keep their babies instead of aborting them

but

that doesn't make it right for America to enact a law that allows for the murder of unborn babies.

If we are to condone the decision of the Court to okay abortion, we might as well say that ANY killer has the right to choose to kill without any legal consequences.   Might as well say the Sandy Hook killer had the legal right to do what he did.

That doesn't mean I think our laws should be retroactive and that women who had abortions should be prosecuted, because I don't believe that at all!     I simply believe that our legal system should do its job finally and overturn a ruling that was horribly immature, unwise, and plain wrong.   This situation is just as bad as slavery was.   America finally corrected its horrible actions in that regard,  and I am hoping that what is right will soon prevail in this matter too.   That can be done in a way that still retains the valid rights of a woman whose pregnancy is the result of rape or incest or whose life would literally be threatened during childbirth.

Thanks Jean I appreciate your comment.Yes babies having babies...sigh...birth control measures should be made more available for those uninsured or should be more cost effective for lower-income women I also agree that education services be more strongly promoted to young women prior to having to make any decisions which will effect them for life. In one program I knew of years ago 14 year old boys and girls were given an automotive baby  and had to care for it for 30 days. I wonder how many ended up teen parents after that dose of reality?

4. profile image0

And Jean, thank you for asking about my health.
    I developed a severe case of rheumatoid arthritis 2 years ago.
    I have to compensate for a lot of things already.
    I use a Bluetooth most of the time on my phone, because my hands and elbows have swollen and become very painful with extended usage.
    No I can't afford a Kindle at this time, and not sure I'd like one.   May have to at some point, but I prefer having a real book to read.   Real books contain all the copyright info, all the info about who wrote it, when it was published, and etc., and cannot be changed, whereas the internet is often unofficial and unsecure.
    But I appreciate your input!   Like I said, I may have to go that route later.   And I'm so sorry to hear you have chronic back pain!   My Mom suffered from that for most of her life, and it's horrible.   Mine hurts sometimes too, but so far my problems are mostly in all my other joints.  Hands, elbows, hip, knees, feet, shoulders, neck........almost every joint in my body.   Which is why I have to do things only when I can do so without overdoing it.  Right now my left knee and elbows are swollen big-time, have been for months and the meds aren't working..........anyway,  I really enjoy writing,  even talking on here,  but I have to watch how much I do; otherwise I pay for it later with pain and more swelling and possibly permanent damage to my joints...

My husband has even suggested getting a program (I forget what it's called...) where I can type via voice command.   I told him not yet, 'cause I'm hoping to get on a medicine that will work for me and make it unnecessary for a program like that.    I guess, like anybody, I'm averse to the idea of having to do that.  We shall see.......

Is your back problem treatable, or operable, etc.?
    I have a brother who had several back surgeries, but he still has pain and has to take medications.

Brenda,
      I'm sorry to here you are suffering from rheumatoid arthritis. It sounds very painful. It must be very difficult to have different parts of your body affected. I hope some kind of medication which isn't dangerous is discovered soon that can help you.

I have scoliosis, and I have good days and bad ones, not bad for being in my late 50's. It keeps changing, sometimes it's like arthritis, then I have "attacks" where I get doubled over. So I don't work but am not collecting unemployment, hopeful, because now and then I have longer periods where I feel OK. In a way I feel sorry for some of my friends who never had a physical difficulty, because they are having such shock and bad times discovering the aches and pains that come with age. We are at least used to living with limitations.

I never thought I'd get a Kindle either, but I was lying down when in pain, and holding a book can get heavy if you read for hours like I do. The device is very light, only 6 ounces, I believe. So I don't have all the copyright info and all, but can get good reading material without the library. I live in a small town and the library is nothing to brag about anyway! Later on if you can't hold a heavy book, you may still be able to enjoy reading and researching with a reading device. But hopefully you will not get worse. I know the program you mean, I was thinking of getting the voice activated typing system for my husband, because he types with his two index fingers, it makes me crazy. I can't think of the name now.

Anyway, I will hope for the best for you. Take care.

1. profile image0

I can imagine your pain!   Yes, I'm learning to live with limitations, as you are too.   I wish you the best too.

5. Hollie Thomas profile image60
    Hollie Thomasposted 11 years ago

I swore that I'd never by a Kindle, but in the end I gave in. I have very poor eyesight and found that even when wearing my specs I was having problems reading without a bright light on. As I say, I gave in in the end. On a Kindle you can enlarge the text, so much so, that I can now actually read without wearing specs. I still need bright lights, but not the specs. It's quite liberating. I can also sympathize re the joint problems; I dislocated my shoulder for the first time more than twenty years ago, then I was run over in 2003 and my other shoulder was dislocated. I've dislocated them both on a fairly regular basis since, and have arthritis in my left shoulder and my neck. I've also started getting 'that kind of pain' in right hip. It's the same kind of ache that I have in my shoulder and neck. Getting older sucks!

1. profile image0

Yes it does!   But still it beats the worst alternative!  smile
      I wish you less pain, Hollie, as time goes on!

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60
        Hollie Thomasposted 11 years agoin reply to this

And I wish the same for you too, Brenda, and Jean also. smile

Hollie...thanks I have been contemplating purchasing a kindle and didn't know you could enlarge the text! Looks like it is now on my "must buy list!" thanks for stopping by.

Laura,
        About 8 or so years ago when my son was in HS, they had a family class and the "parents" had to share "custody" with the baby, which was either a sack of flour, or a doll that had settings and the school could tell if the kids were taking care of it when it needed attention. They had to work together as a team and take the "baby" everywhere they went, just like real life. It was kind of dumb, but at least they got the idea that a baby takes all your attention, especially in the beginning. I am still pro-choice, but believe the young people need classes or some more information to wake them up to the reality that if they have sex, they can get pregnant, and it will be a big effect on their lives for many years. I was shocked at some of the stuff they believed!

Hi Hollie,
        I was always an avid reader, since my scoliosis was from birth, and I had my surgeries and casts and braces as a child. I still love reading, and swore I could never give up real books. But then I began getting tendonitis, because of all the computer writing, and even lying down with a book was a strain on that, plus the lighting was bad. We also have long power failures in the wooded area where I live, so I asked for a Kindle for Christmas. I love it. It's only 1 minute to download a book from Amazon. You can save them after you read them, so you don't have to delete. That makes it feel as if you still have your "library," even if it is on a device. It has only 1 button, to turn it on. There is a keyboard on the screen if you want to connect it to other devices, but I just want it to read. There are many light settings and font sizes. I read a lot for material for my writing, so you can also underline a passage just by rubbing your finger over it, and it is called "Clippings" and is the same as highlighting a "real" book. They are saved in a special place. Some of the books don't have page numbers, they tell you how many minutes are in a chapter, and how many hours in the book. But we all read fast anyway. I definitely recommend it. Some books are as cheap as $1.99, though Best sellers are about $12.99. You have to watch for the specials. But I still will buy books for some things. The Paperwhite has had good reviews, and I'm not a real techy person, so if it's easy for me, it's easy for anyone. Some authors write "shorts" a little story about 25 pages long, unsure how I feel about that, it just seems like easy money for them. But the Kindle is worth it.

6. profile image0

I'm about 2/3 way through "I Am Roe".
    Quite a story;  not a badly-written book; interesting, compelling, raw.
    Gonna finish it today probably and then on to her second book.

7. Deltachord profile image59
    Deltachordposted 11 years ago

Fifty million babies have been murdered in the United States since 1973, when Roe vs Wade went into effect. What is the right to choose to kill a baby? The baby has the right not to be pulled apart, or burned with a saline soulution, which is called an instillation abortion.

1. profile image0

Of course the baby has the right to not be killed!
      No matter what our laws may say, women do not really have the right to abortion,  since that law conflicts with the basic laws of humanity and with God's laws.

I've just finished the book "I Am Roe",  and what strikes me about the author is her self-centeredness,  her total focus on herself, her personal life and dilemmas,  while she seems totally oblivious to the fact that the fetus is a human being (even though she had already had 2 children).

But I understand her in a way!   The book deftly illustrates the abuse she endured as a child, her confusion about almost everything in life, including sexuality (she claims to be a lesbian, but yet has boyfriends and encounters with men including being married at one time),  the abuse she endured from her husband,  her depression, her anger, her often-helplessness.   The main thing that struck me about that was the lack of guidance she had from anyone, according to her story.    She makes no bones about her own rebelliousness and bad choices and wrong ways either.   

What I'm saying is that I know it's hard to think of others and be responsible for others when you're in such a mess emotionally and situationally,  especially when you're not much more than a kid yourself!    Doesn't make it right, but indeed I can relate to much of her state of mind,  and I was raised by good caring parents!   So she had it doubly hard, according to the story she relates.

However, the issue is about the unborn.   And "I Am Roe" is.........disappointingly sad and horrific from that regard.   It reads like a coloring book for liberal activism.   So no matter how compassionate I am for "Jane Roe",  I am deliberately careful to not ignore the most important thing --- the plight of her unborn child!

So....on to the next book,  which, from what I hear, contains hope where "I Am Roe" is sorely lacking......

8. Deltachord profile image59
    Deltachordposted 11 years ago

I meant solution. Hate typos.

9. LauraD093 profile image71

I want to thanks all those who have participated here. It has made for some interesting conversation (and side conversation lol) I just wanted to get a general feel for where people stood today versus the 70's-

thanks all.

whoops "thank" not big on typos either

10. profile image0

I'm about halfway through "Jane Roe"'s second book.
    One of the most incredible and awesome stories I've ever read!
    I highly recommend it for anyone who........well, for anyone really.    Both books.   As in any biographical telling,  neither book is complete without the other.

1. profile image0

Finished it. 
      Both of them.
      "I Am Roe"
      and
      "Won By Love"
      WOW.
      I may write a review;  that's been my plan;  but honestly,  if I never get around to it,  it doesn't matter because no writing can explain it better than the author herself.    Norma McCorvey rocks!   She tells her story in plain but compelling language.   I wanted to say I couldn't put the last book (Won By Love) down, but the truth is that as I got into it,  I kept setting it aside at different times because I wanted to reflect on the differences between it and the first book, and savor the moments as they came;  it was that interesting!

Brenda-just got "I AM Roe," but haven't started into it. If you review them please let me know-I'll hop over and follow you so I can be notified of your new hubs. Thanks for participating, this question did generate some good thoughts and opinions from other hub members.

1. profile image0

Will do,  Laura!
        Thanks very much for the thread!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)