Life after death?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (19 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Alise- Evonposted 11 years ago

If Mary believes in reincarnation and Jane believes you just turn into dust after dying because she is an existentialist, what happens to each after they die? 
    a.  Does Mary get reincarnated into the appropriate form and Jane turn into dust forevermore?
    b.  If reincarnation is really what happens, does Jane get to say, when she is surprised to realize at some point in her new life that she did not turn into dust, that she really just wants out, she doesn't believe in reincarnation- "Just turn me into dust!" 
    c.  If, on the other hand. everyone just turns into dust after you die, what happens to Mary?  She is dust, she cannot say, "Hey, this isn't what I believe in, reincarnate me!"
    d.  Does it matter how firm they are in their beliefs?
    e.  What if neither happens?

1. profile image0
      brotheryochananposted 11 years agoin reply to this

that is the advantage of knowing what you believe. There is persuasive evidence for resurrection and reincarnation falls apart at the seams when diagnosed. Reincarnation has its evil side and says the world will continue forever and ever with regurgitated souls in abundance, whereas resurrection is all good.
      Yknow when we are born on this planet we have no idea of life in the womb, or that first six months. Everything is new to us and this is the state of resurrection, we are born new into a plane of existence we had not previously imagined, so there will not be any talk around the water cooler of our past life or longing to see dear ol cousin ed, our wives memories gone. But what we have in front of us is amazing and new

1. A Troubled Man profile image57
        A Troubled Manposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sorry, that is false and we all know it is false, no need to lie about that.

1. profile image0

Give evidence of falseness please. Back up your statement and then i will tell you that you ignore the power of God. Resurrection is of God seeing as God lives forever, suns exist for billions of years.. you believe in radio carbon dating so you know there is a very very very long time of possibilities. Ahh but you don't see it do you? Imagine walking your dog along a forest path and all of a sudden he rushes into the bushes and comes back with a dead bird in his mouth.. you had no idea the bird was there, but the dog did. You didn't see the bird did you? Your senses failed to acknowledge the dead bird. And so do my friend your senses fail you to see God.
          have a nice day.

1. psycheskinner profile image83
            psycheskinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You don't give evidence of validity--just a claim that you a somehow wiser (i.e. the fallacy called "argument from authority").

2. A Troubled Man profile image57
            A Troubled Manposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You provide no evidence for resurrections. Everything we know does not support your claim at all. Even George Romero knows only to well the zombies in his movies are paid actors.

What power? The only power I see is the power of indoctrination.

Did the dog find God in the bush, too? lol

2. profile image0
        Alise- Evonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Points well taken, brotheryochanan and A Troubled Mind.  It certainly is to one's advantage to being intimately aware of what you believe and to be able to consider all the ramifications, not just those surrounding the above scenario, to see if it is truly wise to continue following that line of thought.
        I pose the question just to get people to think about what they believe.  Sometimes, I think, it needs to be somewhat glaringly, maybe we could say, "odd?" to get a person to do so.  I do not mean to be offensive in any way.

1. profile image0

none taken.
          Questions are questions and deserve better response than a snipers shot while quickly driving by. There are so many differences between believers and non believers its like a and z. Often their arguments are weak and unsupported and unthoughtful and their best defense is God doesn't exist which is like saying to a mathematician quantum pi is fictional. So the debate goes on and on in this area and that.
          Its all good to those with good intentions, but certain ones have crept in unawares.

1. psycheskinner profile image83
            psycheskinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

In other words: you have faith, you assume your point of view is correct, and you can't converse across paradigms.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

The natural world is how it is, regardless of what a person believes.

1. pennyofheaven profile image80
      pennyofheavenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes agree

3. profile image0
    Alise- Evonposted 11 years ago

True, I do not give evidence of validity.  Many people do not have evidence of validity for what they believe, yet will live out their lives holding to such, and sometimes vehemently.  So, given this in relationship to varying beliefs about what happens after death, my basic questions underlying the scenario set forth still remain:  a.  Is one's personal belief about life after death valid,  b.  can significantly divergent beliefs be simultaneously valid, and c. what happens to each individual after they die if beliefs are not simultaneously valid? 
    I believe it is important to get this sorted out sooner rather than later, thus I pose the question.

1. wilderness profile image93
      wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

a.  no way of knowing

b.  no.  One or none of the differing beliefs are correct.  A belief does not change reality.

c.  That will depend on which belief system is correct.

2. My Esoteric profile image86
      My Esotericposted 11 years agoin reply to this

What a person believes about what happens after death is of no consequence.  Whether there is life after death or not is unknown and unknowable; it will be whatever it will be regardless of how we believe.

I have my own thoughts on the matter, but, as I said, they are only conjecture from what I understand of the universe.  Only time will tell what it really is.

1. profile image0

I believe what you say is true about it not mattering what any individual believes, what really happens is what's going to happen.  Some research, though, into the medical field even, will give you some clues about whether something happens after you die, or if it's just "The End."  Maybe some day you'll think it's worth a little more research?

4. profile image51
    macauleyposted 11 years ago

Those who are loving and caring will be resurrected to life eternal. Those who are selfish and evil cannot be used by the creator in the next life, as selfishness and evil are destructive to themselves and to the order of the universe. Their soul will die on judgment day (second death).

I might be wrong, but that's what Jesus said. I'd rather stick with Jesus than with any other man who's ever walked this earth. Never been much impressed with anyone else.

5. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

You want to know who is right without reference to evidence.

That pretty much leaves it to a) personal preference or b) whoever shouts the loudest.

6. profile image51
    bajinganaposted 11 years ago

Die first, then you'll know.

1. profile image0

You could do that, but is your soul worth so little to you that you wouldn't try to find out if Somebody existed out there who could help you find the answer?  Souls are valuable.  Why not throw the question out there?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)