Ever Everlasting and Continuing

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (13 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 11 years ago

Male-female relationships are the staple of many people's lives.  Relationships are the elixir which makes living more delicious and enjoyable.   However, with its positivity and ebullience, male-female relationships are often fraught with travails and angst.   Men and women sometimes find themselves at war with each other over things such as gender roles, the place men and women have in their respective relationships, male insecurity regarding the changing role of women in the boardroom and bedroom, and the continuing evolution of the male-female relationship.   

I want to know what is YOUR particular stance regarding the male-female relationship.  How has  your respective relationship evolve and/or grown or has it?  Do you believe that there is a widening chasm between men and women?  Do you believe that either men or women have a dominance in the relationship?  Do you think that there will ever be an equal parity regarding male-female relationships? Let's discuss this!

2. dashingscorpio profile image79
    dashingscorpioposted 11 years ago

I think each generation moves the ball forward. The children of today will grow up seeing more and more women in the boardroom just as they see the nation with black president as being (normal). Although previous generations never thought it could or would happen any toddler during 2008 only knows of President Obama. This week the Supreme Court tackles (Marriage Equality). Although it's a highly controversial topic surveys have indicated that (the youth) approve of it by 85%. They're the future.

My point is it's the older generations that will be holding onto gender roles. Although women are making major progress many of them deep down still want (the man) to  propose marriage, a husband who out earns them, and provide various other "traditional" male role duties. Not too many women are signing up to have "stay at home" husbands/fathers. In fact a "double standard" still exist for such men who are (fine) with accepting such a role.

There are two key factors that make it harder for people to shed traditional roles. Religious teachings and childhood fairytales. Both plant the seed in a young girl's subconscious that (men) are the head of the household, the rescuer, the protector, and the wife is his helpmate. We all know the Bible is not going to be re-written and neither are the classic fairytales of Prince Charming rescuing damsels in distress. Therefore a girl's "formative years" are likely to be in stark contrast to her reality as an adult.

gmwilliamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You are right on as usual.  Some of the older generation are indeed holding on to racial and gender stereotypes.   Younger people are looking beyond such atavistic racial and gender stereotypes.    They see that women be CEOs, CFOs, and in other powerful positions and men are schoolteachers.   They see media moguls such as Oprah and  a Black president.    They also see equal parity in relationships.  To many young people, the man-woman relationship is an equal parity unlike that of my or my parents' generation. 

My generation, the Baby Boomers, questioned the strict gender dichotomy regarding relationships and worked towards equality regarding male-female relationships excluding the gender mindgames that our parents, the World War Ii generation, played. There are fewer and fewer people who believe in strict gender dichotomization in terms of male-female relationships.   Most people believe that relationships grow and blossom only when there is a total and complete parity between partners.

1. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm not so sure about the older generation, at least the way you put it.

In general, my wife and I have adopted gender roles from 50 years ago.  She cooks and cleans; I repair and do outside work.  She takes care of the grandkids on a road trip; I drive.  She left the workplace years before I did, and I've always earned more.

But.  We chose roles that work for us and have always made that plain; what works for us will not work for everyone.  Each and every couple will have to define their roles for themselves and we have always encouraged our children to do exactly that.  One son, for instance, was a house husband and we fully supported that and was proud of him for it (truly proud and not just lip service).

The older generation may be taking traditional roles for themselves (they created those roles long ago and find no reason to change) but often do not see them as necessary or even appropriate for the younger generation today.

3. profile image0
    Beth37posted 11 years ago

So leaving all the discussion that we're having on the other thread behind...
    Let's talk about attraction instead of the same old argument about what we believe is right and wrong because we will all obviously have differing opinions.
    I understand we are not talking about traditional roles. Many men would say they are attracted to a strong, confidant, modern woman (putting aside the fact that a homemaker can be all those things as well as a female CEO) but is a man naturally attracted to a "feminine" woman? I know I am way more attracted to a masculine man. I don't care if he is a stay at home dad, if he's good at it. Whatever works for his family.... but is he strong? Is he confidant? Can he protect and wisely guide his family? This is attractive to me.

1. dashingscorpio profile image79
      dashingscorpioposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Beth37, I suspect there will always be people who want it both ways especially in the privacy of their home/relationship. The majority of men want a beautiful sexy "feminine" woman. Of course this does not mean she has to be a doormat or rubberstamp the word (yes) to everything he suggests. I believe we are all confident in the roles we (choose) or else we would not take that route. As long as the couple is happy with their internal structure and support it that is all that matters. As I mentioned earlier future generations will not have the same hang ups as us "baby boomers" or even "generation Xers" There was a time when couples living together or having children out of wedlock was rare. Today neither one "shocks" us.

1. profile image0
        Beth37posted 11 years agoin reply to this

True. It seems that if a couple should have a more modern relationship, like the man staying home and the woman working, we should give it the same respect as a traditional role. What works for each family has it's own value.

gmwilliamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

+ 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000!

1. profile image0

Thank you. It's nice to agree on something. smile

4. strong woman 71 profile image60
    strong woman 71posted 11 years ago

Hi Beth 37. I think you are right it is whatever works best for each individual family. For instance my exhusband hated the fact that after I graduated from college I made more money than him. His mom pretty much always stayed home and he was raised that the man should take care of his family. Not that women shouldn't work but the man should provide more. This ended up causing lots of problems in our relationship which eventually ended.
    My boyfriend now has no problem with me making more money than him. His mom always worked and for many years was the sole provider for him and his sister.
    I think a lot of it comes down to how a person was raised and what they believe.

1. profile image0

Im poor as dirt, you can be my sugar mama if you want to. smile

5. strong woman 71 profile image60
    strong woman 71posted 11 years ago

Hahaha, well come on over and we'll talk, lol.

1. profile image0

lol

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)