There seem to be some people who CAN find jobs even in these

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (17 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 10 years ago

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/8029319_f248.jpg
    precarious times. They are inundated with jobs. They seem to have the Midas touch in terms of jobs and socioeconomic opportunities. These are the people who have LITTLE or NO PROBLEMS with getting and keeping good jobs. They are also the entrepeneurs among us. They WON'T starve-in fact, quite the opposite happens, they are usually ON TOP or NEAR THE TOP of the world.

Then there are others who have MAJOR PROBLEMS regarding being unemployed. In fact, they could be called unemployable although they have the right credentials. They never seem to be reasonably employed if they are employed.  They are either unemployed or underemployed. In other words, they are damned as far as job/employment opportunities go.  If they happen to be employed, they are in a state of constant and continual struggle..............they NEVER seem to get AN EVEN BREAK. They are on the ourside, looking in.....
    http://s4.hubimg.com/u/8029323_f248.jpg

Some people are doing things RIGHT while others just DON'T get it at all!

1. profile image50
      Lie Detectorposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The easiest thing in the world is keeping a job, just remember you are not entitled to it and employers actually expect you to work.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

And some people are in circumstances that make finding a job harder, like being disabled, needing to stay in the same area as their children, having a past conviction etc.  It is not just a case of those who try versus those who don't.

1. profile image50

Having a past conviction is not a circumstance that was beyond their control.

3. profile image0
    Beth37posted 10 years ago

I worked in admin most of my career. I was the president of a non profit, and owned my own business... I could NOT find a job. I applied for what felt like hundreds of jobs back in '09 and couldn't get hired anywhere. Finally, I decided to apply for a job that seemed like a last straw for me... a grocery store. They hired me. It took me 2 years, but I was earning a paycheck. What was funny was it ended up being one of the most challenging and fun jobs Ive ever had. I loved the friendships, the relationships were complicated and there was always something new to learn. Way more difficult than I could have imagined. I don't make much money, but I work very hard and am successful in other ways. I hope the market has improved in the past couple of years. Id hate for others to still be going thru that.

1. Zelkiiro profile image88
      Zelkiiroposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Isn't it a little eerie how the most difficult jobs (construction, retail, maintenance) are the lowest-paying...?

1. profile image0
        Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Ive never worked harder than I have now. It is funny, you're right. The more you sit, the more you get paid. Yet my mind is WAY more challenged in this position. There's a 1000 codes, policies, rules, glitches, all while ppl are breathing down your neck from customer to manager. I fully understand why ppl go postal now. lol

2. gmwilliams profile image84
        gmwilliamsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Such jobs do not require a lot of skill sets.  These jobs are low skills.  Low skilled jobs usually paid THE LEAST.  The so called sit down jobs you talk about require a higher skill level. Managers required a high skill level either through education or experience.  Maintenance jobs do not require much brains nor does retail jobs.  These jobs do not require a high educational level to do them.  A 5th grade educated person is qualified to do such jobs.

If one wants to be paid well, he/she must obtain a high level of education, develop specific skill sets, have a talent/giftedness, and/or develop a brand.  Otherwise, he/she will be a Joe/Josephina Schmo working at a lower end job, being the working poor, overused, disrespected, anonymous, and unappreciated.  Yes, a NOBODY.

1. Zelkiiro profile image88
          Zelkiiroposted 10 years agoin reply to this

So learning how to run Microsoft Excel and sit in a chair screwing around for 8 hours justifies making twice as much as someone who literally breaks their body every day digging trenches and hauling material?

Makes perfect sense.

2. profile image0
          Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I wonder if you believe that or if you are only playing devils advocate.

I used to stay up till 3 am nights waiting for my husband to finish his college papers so that I (the one without the education) could edit them for him. I read a lot, always have. I never liked structure so I chose to raise children and teach them the importance of a college education (I have 2 in college now), but didn't go myself. That didn't keep me from doing the three things I loved most, writing, music and being a mom. Honestly, those were the only things I was interested in.

You are correct... with most of what you said. Although I would beg to differ that those without a college degree are nobodies... and that they do not matter. Try making it from day to day in this world without those ppl. I wish you luck.

That is what society considers those who have low skills and little education.  Society also considers those with high education with low skilled Mcjobs the same.  If one has little education and has a high powered positions such as entertainers and some entrepeneurs, he/she is a SOMEBODY.  Those with the combination of high education, high skills, and a high powered job are THE ONES who are highly respected and revered-they are THE TRUE SOMEBODIES.  If you do not believe me, there is a book ALL RISE by Robert W. Fuller discussing how society perceives powerful and powerless people.

3. profile image50

I have been in management most of my life and the best managers were the ones who started at the bottom and worked their way up. Too many college educated buffoons come in thinking they have a clue and are usually the first to go.

4. profile image0
          Motown2Chitownposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I might beg to differ.  There are a couple of folks I can think of who are anything but nobodies and they don't have that highly coveted college degree of which you speak.  Well, they may now, but they dropped out of college first.

You know, people like Mark Zuckerberg and Steve Jobs.

I'm sure there are a lot of folks out there who don't have a fancy, schmancy college degree and are doing just fine.

3. profile image50

I have worked in all three and I would have to say that being a brain surgeon is probably a little more challenging than replacing a wax ring.

4. brakel2 profile image72
    brakel2posted 10 years ago

Everybody is useful. There are people without college degrees who make lots of money. They have worked hard to get where they are. Some jobs requiring college don't pay very well. You can't make general statements about people. They aren't all in a box. Each one has his own abilities and problems and unique personalities.

5. brakel2 profile image72
    brakel2posted 10 years ago

Everybody is useful. There are people without college degrees who make lots of money. They have worked hard to get where they are. Some jobs requiring college don't pay very well. You can't make general statements about people. They aren't all in a box. Each one has his own abilities and problems and unique personalities.

Well said  Beth and Brakel2.  I would like to add that it is sad that artists and other creative types are underrated and disparaged in this society.  Artists and other creative people such as writers and dancers are underpaid unless they are famous. They are not valued in comparison to those with more technical, mathematical, and business skills.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)