Help! My blog's been kidnapped

Jump to Last Post 1-30 of 30 discussions (55 posts)
  1. LondonGirl profile image81
    LondonGirlposted 14 years ago

My website appears to have been kidnapped. When I type in my web address (www.webhistoryofengland.com) all my content has isappeared, and some totally random ebook rubbish is there instead. I can't  log in, and when I try to, it tells me my login is invalid. Help!

1. Lady_E profile image61
      Lady_Eposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I suggest you contact Domaindiscover.com.  That is your Registrar.  You can call them or have an online chat with them. Good Luck.

2. profile image0
      mariaevesonlineposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Im so glad you have sorted it out,,,Sounded great reading up on the sort out.

1. profile image0
        mariaevesonlineposted 14 years agoin reply to this
  2. Inspirepub profile image72
    Inspirepubposted 14 years ago

Contact your hosting provider - they should be able to restore it.

Jenny

3. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

I just clicked on the link, and it's telling me that your domain is for sale.

1. Mrvoodoo profile image58
      Mrvoodooposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah same, I don't think it's that link, go to the link in her profile and you'll see what she's talking about, it is pretty odd, I've not heard of that happening before, but yes as others have suggested contact your hosting provider.

2. Lady_E profile image61
      Lady_Eposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You must check this out Londongirl cos your domain doesn't expire until September.

1. andromida profile image55
        andromidaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes,I saw the expiration date: 03-Sep-2009.

4. LondonGirl profile image81

Sorry chaps, I'm a class A idiot. I mistyped the URL. It's www.webhistoryofengland.com and there is indeed a load of ebook shite there. Apologies.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Have you managed to get in touch with your hosting company yet?

LondonGirlposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I've emailed them, they've not got back to me, yet.

5. kmackey32 profile image64
    kmackey32posted 14 years ago

LOL yea i have blonde moments all the time. Its ok.

6. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

What did you have there? A pure HTML or some kind of CMS like wordpress or drupal? Unless it is a redirect, you can fix it yourself I think. And don't forget to change FTP password first. smile

Wordpress, and I can't log in to the site at all!

7. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

Misha, If she can't log in, how can she change it herself?

1. Misha profile image63
      Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It depends on what exactly login Amanda is talking about - web hosting or CMS. smile

8. darkside profile image64
    darksideposted 14 years ago

Strange.

I have a site and I've just noticed when I go there I get a blank page.

9. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

Seems to have been taken over by this site :

http://www.tactools.org

10. Eric Graudins profile image60
    Eric Graudinsposted 14 years ago

Hi Amanda.

From the info you have provided, it looks like one of 2 things has happened.
    1. Your site has been hacked, and the content redirected.

2. Your domain name has been transferred away from you, and ownership taken over by someone else.

The domain name is connected to a hosting company using the nameservers at MYMIZBAN.com which appears to be an Arabic web host, by the look of their website.
    Is this correct?
    The registrant of the domain is shown as Protected Domain Services of Denver. Is this correct?

If the answers to the above questions are both YES, and you cannot access your hosting control panel then it would appear that the site has been hacked in some way, and you need to contact your hosting company. Either or both of your hosting or wordpress admin passwords could have been compromised, or perhaps a security flaw in your database or wordpress has allowed some kind of hacking to occur.
    If this has happened, it is straightforward to restore the website from a recent backup. I hope you have one.

If the answers to one or both of the questions are "NO", then you have a different problem, and your domain name has been stolen from you

Please email me through hubpages if you'd like to provide full information about this, so that I can check it out a bit better.

Regards,
    Eric G.

Thanks, I've just emailed you. Neither of those is correct.

11. BristolBoy profile image62
    BristolBoyposted 14 years ago

I hope you get this sorted soon LondonGirl!

12. bobjones profile image42
    bobjonesposted 14 years ago

Eric's on the money - you need to get this fixed ASAP because google doens't like sites which offer free illegal down loads - which is what the metadata on the site is saying now.

13. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

You mean you can't login to wordpress, right? And you can login to your web hosting account - or did you try at all?

Do you mean, via my hosting lot? I've not tried.

<pause>

Tried. Can't log in there, either.

When I enter my username, if I click "lost password" it tells me an email has been sent to an email address that isn't mine.

14. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Well, call them then, you seem to have a serious problem. Who is your hoster?

15. LondonGirl profile image81

name.com

16. LondonGirl profile image81

Looking at the "whois" data on name.com, it says:

"Domain Name:     webhistoryofengland.com
    Registrar:       Name.com LLC

Expiration Date: 2010-03-25 01:03:23
    Creation Date:   2009-03-25 01:03:23"

All good, so far.

Then:

"REGISTRANT CONTACT INFO
    lahzeh
    mohhamadreza abachi
    teh
    teh
    none
    IR
    Phone:         +98.5812220006
    Email Address: lordmmb@yahoo.com"

Not so good.......

How the hell can someone just steal my website?

17. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Umm, never really worked with them. But they seem to be just a registrar, where do you host your site?

1. Eric Graudins profile image60
      Eric Graudinsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Misha,
      What do you mean "JUST a registrar ???

Your Domain registrar is THE MOST IMPORTANT LINK IN THE CHAIN OF YOUR INTERNET BUSINESS.

If someone has the login details to your domain registration account, they can connect your domain name to another web host, transfer the domain name to someone else. Basically take full control.

Tattoo this on your eyelids people:
      "LOGIN DETAILS FOR YOUR DOMAIN REGISTRAR IS THE MOST SENSITIVE AND IMPORTANT PART OF YOUR WEBSITE."

Amanda has emailed me, and I'll discuss her problem in another post.

1. Misha profile image63

LOL bad wording on my side Eric, I meant to imply I did not see them offering hosting. smile

No wuckas mate smile (bet you don't know that bit of Aussie slang!)

1. Misha profile image63

Not a slightest idea, so I am at a loss here smile

OK: It's short for No Wuckin' Forries. (Tranpose the "W" and the "F" if you're still puzzled"

This is then shortened to "No Wuckas" smile Try it on Earnetshub or some other Aussies. they'll be amazed at your knowledge of Aussie slang.

@KCC Big Country:
              Smart is relative. I've been involved in this sort of stuff for around 10 years, and have picked up a bit of info about it. but I'd probably be totally stupid  on some  of the topics you know about!

More Info on domain hijacking:
              http://www.circleid.com/posts/help_doma … _hijacked/
              (Read the comments too)

18. LondonGirl profile image81

sorry, it's hosted by name.com, I wasn't clear. And I can't ring them, they are open every second Tuesday if there is a full moon, or similar.

19. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Did not see them offering hosting services, hence the question. Yes, I think your only option right now is their customer service. Call them ASAP. If they don't answer in UK, call them in USA - but this is only tomorrow. 202 is Washington DC, 720 is Denver CO... http://www.name.com/contactus

20. LondonGirl profile image81

Sadly, "Monday-Friday 9am-5pm Mountain Time"

21. LondonGirl profile image81

This is the hosting service I use from them:

http://www.name.com/faq/what-is-rapid-blog

1. Misha profile image63

Well, take your time to learn how to deal with wordpress on a standard hosting control panel. Trust me, it is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay easier than learning to be a barrister smile

22. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Yep, it's sad sad

And frankly, after sorting out this incident, I would move out to a more reliable hoster/registrar. It looks totally their fault based on what I learned so far...

Totally wrong assumption Misha.
      I'll discuss it soon.

1. Misha profile image63

Well, I don't have all the info Eric. You are da man smile

23. LondonGirl profile image81

Sorry to hassle you, Misha, but how the hell can this happen?

To cut a long story short, lots of people lose control their domain names through simple lack of knowledge and/or carelessness.

The topic of domain name ownership and security is an important part of a book I'm currently writing.
      I'll put the relevant part into a PDF file and email it to you later today Amanda.

I'll also write a short summary into a post here that discusses Amanda's situation in general terms. But I don't have time to do this right now.

It looks like the domain name has been transferred to someone else. If the password for your domain registrar has been compromised, the transfer could have gone ahead under normal transfer procedures.

Amanda, It's vital for you to send an email to your registrar, explaining what has happened (if you have not already done so).

If what I suspect is true, they are the appropriate people to contact at this stage.

24. LondonGirl profile image81

Thanks very much.

Something you can try right now is to see if you can log into the control panel of your domain name registrar. If you can't that's something only your registrar can address.

If you can log in and your domain is not there, then it has been transferred (or in the process of being transferred) to someone else.

If your domain name is still showing there, change the contact email address back to your address. Also change the password of the account to something secure which uses a combination of lettersm numbers, and symbols and

something like rt^5E<=kD (don't use that)

If your domain name is still in your registrar account, then hopefully it's a simple matter of changing the nameservers back to the ones that connect to your own webhost.

(got to go. discussion will be posted later.)

One other question - Was your domain "locked" at the registrar?

See this forum post too:
      http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum25/3795.htm
      It discusses various issues related to domain hijacking, but unfortunately the person concerned did not post the resolution (if any)

25. LondonGirl profile image81

I've tried to log in at name.com and it won't allow me to do it.

1. flread45 profile image58
      flread45posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Maybe by clicking on tools and then internet options,you might find some one has changed your homepage directory.

This is not the problem here. Her domain name is no longer connected to her web hosting account.

26. KCC Big Country profile image85
    KCC Big Countryposted 14 years ago

Eric's so smart.  *sigh*

27. LondonGirl profile image81

Sorry flread, I don't get you.

28. LondonGirl profile image81

Is it good news that name.com is still shown as the registrar?

Yes, - because it will make any transfer back to you very simple if you establish that the domain was transferred improperly.

If your password was guessed or cracked, any operations and transfer would be quite correctly treated as legitimate by the registrar.

The important thing to do is to report all the circumstances regarding this hijacking to support@name.com ASAP so that they can commence action to transfer the name back to you.

Action to transfer the name to another registrar could well be taking place, and this would make the process more complex.

Their support may be 24/7, although their phones are only available for normal business hours.
      Good Luck.

29. LondonGirl profile image81

I have emailed them with all the details, some hours ago. Thanks very much for all your help.

30. LondonGirl profile image81

One other query, why on earth is anyone bothering with all this skullduggery in relation to a blog about English history?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)