Help! I'm a newbie - and a novice (not necessarily the same...)

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (13 posts)
  1. cherihut profile image61
    cherihutposted 10 years ago

Hi, all. I’m a newbie here. Well, I’ve technically been a member for 18 months or so, but after I first joined I got caught up in the busyness of life and work and so on. But now I thought I’d try to start living my dream – to be a freelance writer (hoping that in the process I can maybe make a little money, too).

Here’s the thing. I’ve looked on here, and on other writing sites as well, but either I’m really dumb (a distinct possibility) or everyone out there who writes articles meant for newbies doesn’t get that “newbie” might very well include people who have NO idea at all about how to get started. So many times I read an article that I think will be helpful (and it is – or would be if I actually knew something first), and I want to shout, “I don’t know what you’re talking about! Talk to me like I’m 5!”

It isn’t the idea of writing that bothers me so much; it’s all the logistics of making it happen that I don’t get. And, though HubPages looks like it has a lot of potential for me, I’m kind of at a loss. Am I missing something, or is there really no actual home page? I would think there would be a page where one can go to that would include a search box, a basic intro to the site, a nice drop-down menu with clear, concise headings that would help you navigate the site. It’s kind of like an informational book with no cover and no table of contents. You’re on your own. You have to flounder around all over the place – I feel like I’m on a treasure hunt or in a maze or something.

See,  I’ve never written online. OK, I’ve written on forums and commented on articles and posted stuff on Facebook, but I somehow don’t think those things really count. smile What I want to know is how to actually get started. Step-by-step instructions. I really am a very visual and also tactile kind of person. Maybe I’m a baby, but generally, I need someone to hold my hand and SHOW me how to do something. Or explain it in such a way that I can CLEARLY understand it. I love it when people use graphics and/or videos in their instructions. Anyway, can someone help me out, or direct me to an article (or more) that will really explain all the nuances of writing online to a newbie? (Again, talk to me like I’m 5).

Some examples of things I don’t know how to deal with: copyrights… how and when do you do this? I hear of people stealing articles, so I guess I should protect myself... Earning money. Again, how and when? Do I need to set something up BEFORE I submit my article? Plus, I could use some help on some of these terms that people throw around – and I don’t know what they’re talking about. Is there a list somewhere of the industry terms, or terms specific to this site? I’d just like a simplified manual of the ins and outs of this business. As soon as I figure it all out – and if all goes well – I think I’ll write an article on here for Newbie Novices like I am right now… “HubPages Super-Simplified.” And if somebody beats me to it in a very timely fashion (like in the next couple of days), that’s OK by me. I could probably use it. And if it’s already out there, please direct me to it? It has to be something for a complete novice.

Thanks!
    - Cheri

1. WryLilt profile image88
      WryLiltposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Click on start a new hub on the top right.
      You don't have to sign up for earnings before you write. Newbies don't usually make a lot before they get the hang of it.
      Any hub you can edit every part of it except the URL anytime you want.
      To make money, you need search views from Google and social media. Write right they'll come on their own.
      Everything you write is copyright automatically, I wouldn't worry about thieves too much for now.

I have a hub on top newbie mistakes (you can click on my name to see it on my profile.)

cherihutposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks so much! I'll look up your hub and give it a read. smile

2. profile image0
      Jennifer Sucheyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

One of the things I found most confusing was the use of capsules in my writing. I wasn't sure of the purpose or how to use them. I discovered they're good of you want to interject photos, ads, or other things within your hub. Why was weird for me wash arming how to ad them and how too be them around, which is done in the right column. I'm guessing a tutorial you are reading addresses this. I figured out how to use them by reading a hub or two myself. And it still took some trial and error to get it.

2. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 10 years ago

Thanks. Now, see? These aren't mentioned on the toolbar at the top. Would be helpful if they were... But thanks, again. I've bookmarked them. smile

3. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 10 years ago

Cheri - I completely see what you're saying here!  I hope Paul, Robin and others read your post and make note of what you're saying.  You're right - it's very difficult for anyone just hitting the site to find their way around.  And if you are already a 'member' here, when you click on the HubPages logo at the upper left of each screen, you go to your own feed, rather than to a main page of some sort.  The main page could use more information to help readers as well as Hubbers find what they are looking for on the site.

I'm glad WryLilt and Paradigmsearch pointed you toward some areas of the site that might help you get started. Please continue to post questions here if you run into other problems, or search the learning center and FAQs for possible answers.

Best of luck!

Marcy, thanks for the input! I appreciate it. smile

4. larakern profile image67
    larakernposted 10 years ago

Cheri, I get what you're saying and have been feeling the same way for a few weeks now but I have finally experimenting with different elements and stuff. Feel free to ask me questions when you get stuck. Good luck!

5. Jean Bakula profile image92
    Jean Bakulaposted 10 years ago

Cherihut,
    I understand exactly how you feel, when I began on HP, my only experience was email and the occasional letter on Word. There is a huge section on all the rules, and many of your questions will be answered there.

The first mistake most newbies make is to write their first hub in one text capsule. Don't do that. Pretend it's 1000 words. Split that into about 5 text capsules. Why? Because you will need the spaces in between the paragraphs to add pictures and graphs, or other stuff to make your hub more personally yours.

The community is very nice and many people will help you. There are people online seemingly 24/7 if you have a problem, check out the forums, and you will see all the kinds there are to answer your questions. Give it time, read what others are writing and get some ideas from the way they layout their hubs.

Welcome to Hubpages! Just like any site, it has a group of malcontents, but don't let them get you down. Because of Google changes, the rules change from time to time, but the staff gives ample warning about things like that. Write about what you know and love, and it will show through in your writing.

6. profile image0
    Jennifer Sucheyposted 10 years ago

You are in good company if you have a lot of questions because people around here like to answer questions. Everyone is very helpful and very friendly. After you read the info others suggested, feel free to fire away with more questions. Generally one question or so at a time is probably good even of you have to post several new topics one after the other.

7. LongTimeMother profile image92
    LongTimeMotherposted 10 years ago

Hi Cheri,

I wrote a hub to try and help newbies after noticing a lot of writers seemed unaware of the basics. Don't know if it will help you or not, but here's a link ... http://longtimemother.hubpages.com/hub/ … d-approval

Good luck!

Thanks to all of you have responded! I'm sure I will find your suggestions very helpful. I appreciate the input!

God bless +
      - Cheri

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)