How does religion bind people?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (21 posts)
  1. jabelufiroz profile image70
    jabelufirozposted 10 years ago

How does religion bind people?

1. christicue profile image61
      christicueposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Religion binds when it is nothing but a stringent set of rules/laws to live by. It sets free when it becomes a knowledge of the truth...a fulfillment of law. When we know the truth it sets us free. It goes from rules to follow to a love for God that gives itself up for others in acts of selfless surrender...because it was loved in such a way by God. (Jn 8:32-36)

2. A Troubled Man profile image56
      A Troubled Manposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It doesn't. Religions only divide people.

1. Ella Quirk profile image82
        Ella Quirkposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It does both.

1. A Troubled Man profile image56

Is that why there are over 38,000 registered Christian denominations alone, because they are all united? That doesn't even consider the Christians who aren't part of those denominations.

So? Yes religion is large-scale divisive but any set of beliefs can bind people together, even if its only one little weird denomination in a tiny country town.

1. A Troubled Man profile image56

But, don't you find it odd that no believers here actually agree with one anothers beliefs? They constantly call each other evil and say they are being led by Satan, yet they call themselves Christians.

2. janesix profile image61
    janesixposted 10 years ago

With duct tape.

3. Daniel J. Neumann profile image61
    Daniel J. Neumannposted 10 years ago

Religare---to rebind, to find connection in midst of overwhelming diversity, the ability to thread meaning between an infinite expanse of unique consciousness. (Taking it back to the Latin roots of the word, religion's, etymology.

4. jabelufiroz profile image70
    jabelufirozposted 10 years ago

Great vision...

1. bettybarnesb profile image60
      bettybarnesbposted 10 years agoin reply to this

When the term "Religion" is used, it is an exceptional broad subject because we can become faithful to almost anything and turn it into a Religion. However, followers of Christ are bound together through belief that He is the "only begotten Son of God" and because we believe have accepted Jesus as our Savior and Lord. We believe this in our hearts and confession is made with mouth. Romans 10:10

Very good question.

be blessed...

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
        Mark Knowlesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Interesting that you "bind" yourself to those who attack and despise homosexuality and defend child abuse.

Why?

Sorry, Mark Knowles, but these are some "pop" presumptions and misunderstandings. Nowhere in the Bible is "child abuse" condoned, and, could it be possible that God does not condone homosexuality because it is detrimental to life in general (both the lives of the practicing individuals and society as a whole, in that if everyone were homosexual, humans would become extinct). God loves His creation and He loves us infinitely more than we could understand or imagine. He loves you infinitely more than you love yourself. The point is that He knows what is good for us way, way more than we ourselves do. It's just like a parent-child relationship. Kids want to eat candy all day and avoid vegetables, but parents know that if the kids do they will get sick in the short run and become extremely unhealthy if the behavior continues. God tells us what is good for us, and not good for us, just as a loving parent instructs his/her child. Yet, we stubbornly refuse to see the truth and, instead, go on chasing after our desires only to finally come to a point where we realize (hopefully) that it was nothing more than chasing after the wind. None of these earthly pursuits will ever satisfy. When we finally get fed up with ourselves and come to the realization that our pursuits our meaningless and empty, that nothing in this world can truly satisfy, we are at a place where God can finally reach us...and then, we find fulfillment.

Have you read it?

He that smiteth his father, or his mother, shall be surely put to death. -- Exodus 21:15

He that curseth his father, or his mother, shall surely be put to death. -- Exodus 21:17

Children who mock their parents will have their eyes plucked out by ravens and eaten by eagles.
            The eye that mocketh at his father, and despiseth to obey his mother, the ravens of the valley shall pick it out, and the young eagles shall eat it: Proverbs 30:7

The LORD smote all the firstborn in the land of Egypt, from the firstborn of Pharaoh that sat on his throne unto the firstborn of the captive that was in the dungeon.... And there was a great cry in Egypt; for there was not a house where there was not one dead:Exodus 12:29-30

Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones: Psalm 137:9

I'd call of the above child abuse.

Yes, and those are the types of verses I was referring to. Nowhere in the verses from Proverbs does it say that God condones child abuse. It also doesn't say that any of the consequences will come upon a person when they are a child. They could just as easily (and more likely) refer to adults, or, for that matter, the consequences that come about naturally due to cause and effect. God is teaching us good from bad, and instructing us on how to live a full and happy life. When a child or adult speaks abusively towards their parents it is detrimental, is it not? I know that if my children have no respect for me, they'll have no respect for authority and will end up getting themselves in trouble. Ultimately, God's law is good, even when it's hard to hear or understand.

As for the verse referring to Pharoah and the Egyptians, that was not child abuse, it was a plague, for the purpose of God demonstrating who He is to all of mankind. God has an eternal perspective, so what appears as horror to us is not necessarily truly that to God and in light of eternity...but understanding how that can be so is not an understanding that we cannot possess this side of Heaven. If we are eternal and death here and now is simply taking us from one reality to the next, then our understanding of death is extraordinarily limited. I won't argue this point, though, because I understand that no amount of my explaining my perspective will help you understand where I am coming from. Thomas Aquinas stated this best, "To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." I agree.

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
                Mark Knowlesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Perhaps you don't deserve respect. Do you abuse your children with this nonsense? Killing witches is good? How so?

2. profile image0
                MysticMoonlightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

What if you are abused by your parents, not only as a child but in your adult life as well? Physically, mentally, verbally, neglect, etc. you name it as a child, if it was any type of abuse, it was done to me by those very parents that the Bible says to honor. Then as an adult, they abuse you still the only way that they can, hate you, talk about you negatively to others, use you financially until you stop giving to them, mock you, ridicule you no matter what you do for them...what then? I should honor these people because the Bible says that I must?
                This describes not only myself but others I would bet. Well, I REFUSE to honor those people. They have done NOTHING to deserve my honor or respect and if that makes me "bad" in the eyes of Christians, then so be it I suppose.

I am so, so sorry for what you went through. Those Bible verses are true and applicable, but I have to say that appropriate parental behavior is of the first order of importance to God. How can a parent doing all the wrong things teach a child to do what is right? God sees your circumstances and knows your past and your hurts. He knows all of our hearts perfectly. He has deliverance and healing for you. I don't know why something so awful would be allowed to happen to a child, but I do know that when we allow God to heal our brokenness and our hurts, we possess an understanding and ability to care for and help others who have gone through similar experiences, that is not of this world. Remember, that it was humans who hurt you, and while God does allow humans to have free will, he does not allow sin to continue forever, and he is a just and loving God who will defend the cause of the poor, innocent and needy. He will defend your cause and he knows exactly how to do so perfectly. You are precious in God's sight and He loves you dearly. Your parents were very wrong and I can't help but feel extremely angry at them for hurting you. Trust Jesus, He will put all things into a right and healthy perspective. I believe He has a wonderful plan and great purpose for you. You are not worthless, discarded, lost, forgotten or forsaken. You are loved dearly.

Psalms 147:3
                  "He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds."

Isaiah 40:29-31
                  "He gives power to the weak, and to those who have no might He increases strength…Those who wait on the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint. "

Isaiah 54:14
                  "In righteousness you shall be established; you shall be far from oppression, for you shall not fear; and from terror, for it shall not come near you."

When we trust Jesus, he provides us with freedom and healing. This is what he says he came to earth to accomplish:
                  "The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me,
                      because the Lord has anointed me
                      to proclaim good news to the poor.
                  He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted,
                      to proclaim freedom for the captives
                      and release from darkness for the prisoners,
                  to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor
                      and the day of vengeance of our God,
                  to comfort all who mourn,
                       and provide for those who grieve in Zion—
                  to bestow on them a crown of beauty
                      instead of ashes,
                  the oil of joy
                      instead of mourning,
                  and a garment of praise
                      instead of a spirit of despair.
                  They will be called oaks of righteousness,
                      a planting of the Lord
                      for the display of his splendor."
                  Isaiah 61:1-4

1. profile image0
                    MysticMoonlightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for your kindness, christiecue, and for taking the time to respond. Yes, I do understand that it was humans that hurt me and not God. They chose to do what they did to me and that it was their free will that allowed them to do so.
                    My issue is when God's people tell me that I should turn the other cheek and still honor my parents, no matter what they've done because that's what the Bible says I should do, that I should still do whatever I can to have a relationship with them, treat them kindly, etc. I admit, this really puts me off...this is how religion binds me. You see, I'm a believer in treating others as they treat me. This thinking, too, is not popular with Christians. Again, this is how religion binds me...
                    Thanks again for your encouraging words and thoughts, they are appreciated.

5. juschan45 profile image61
    juschan45posted 10 years ago

The soul is from birth a curious creature: it's hospitable the globe and desires to be told everything regarding it. this can be a awfully dangerous quality to people who needs to suppress others. this can be wherever faith comes in: faith introduces that your curiosity should result in a solution. faith preaches that you are looking for one thing, and who's got the answers? the faith, of course. Most of the answers in any faith is wrong. in order that they need to blind you, to create you stop being interested by the globe. many folks feel quite snug regarding that: typically it's exhausting to be curious. It's easier to quiet down and say: i do know all the answers already, no matter science would possibly conclude.

6. lone77star profile image72
    lone77starposted 10 years ago

Religion binds only if it first does away with ego. That requires humility and love. It requires responsibility and a perfection of confidence.

Some may say that religion divides, but they are perfectly wrong. Why? Because they are looking at corollary effects, rather than root causes. They are looking at a corruption of religion, but that same corruption has occurred in science, government, science, family and all other aspects of human interaction. The source of that corruption is ego.

This is not "ego" as described by Western psychology. This is the false self described by Buddhism. This is the source of all suffering (samsara). Ego is the source of all evil. It is the source of separateness and divisiveness. Ego says that it is right while it says that others are wrong. Ego is vulnerable, because it is a physical cog that obeys the laws of physical reality. But spirit is invulnerable.

With humility (the antidote for ego), and love, religion (spirituality without institutionalized dogma) can bind us as one.

Institutionalized religion is full of ego. It says, "We are right, and you are wrong." That is the essence of ego.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)