For unbelievers only please. Explaining how time negates God.

Jump to Last Post 1-1 of 1 discussions (26 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Rad Manposted 10 years ago

How do we explain to believers that God could not have created the universe without time as God would not have had the TIME to create the universe without TIME itself?

1. EncephaloiDead profile image53
      EncephaloiDeadposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It should say in Genesis that God created the universe in six days and rested on the seventh. That sure looks like the use of time, especially considering the term "day" is used there.

1. profile image0
        Rad Manposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Very good point.

"In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth."

You will also notice there the writer thought the universe was the heavens.

1. EncephaloiDead profile image53
          EncephaloiDeadposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I wonder about that considering the concept of a "universe" then being the same as we think of it now is unlikely. Their universe was probably not much more than what they could see with the naked eye and appears to be from a reference frame at the surface of the Earth.

1. profile image0

I can tell you they thought the stars could fall to earth and were held in place by a vault, only they only thought the stars were lights put there so we could see at night.

2. profile image0
      Emile Rposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hmm. Well, I always took Genesis to mean the universe already was.  Sooo, it would follow that during that time time was in motion.

You do realize that, if the multiverse is true, then it is possible that time was marching along prior to this universe, as we perceive it, coming into existence.

1. profile image0

Sure Emile, but not in this universe. Imagine a cup of Jello and universe poping into existence like a grain of sand in the Jello. They don't overlap, so somewhere else time may exist, but not here where we are without said universe. All or most matter existed in one single spot just like a black hole only much more dense. No God needed.

1. profile image0

All speculation, my good man.

I think, if we exist within a multiverse then the greater reality of the multiverse trumps the smaller reality within our universe. The fact that we can't see it, doesn't negate it. But, that's just me. No speculation required.

1. profile image0

I ask you once again to attempt to understand time and what happens without it and why we know when time started in our universe.

1. profile image0

I have always gotten what you are saying. I simply think, at this juncture, presenting it as undeniable fact is premature.

But, that's just me.

1. profile image0

There is direct evidence of when time started and evidence of what happens without time. There is no evidence for the existence of any Gods, but I don't see you telling that to people, instead you prefer to tell me I shouldn't rely on evidence that we do have.

1. profile image0

Please enlighten me as to the direct evidence of what happens without time. We can certainly imagine it, but we can't see it. And, we don't have direct evidence of when time started. The data implies.

You know, if you want to believe something, feel free.  I don't point out that one can't prove God simply because believers can't understand the difference between belief and fact. Somewhat like you.

1. profile image0

It's pretty heavy stuff, but even you should be able to get through it.

http://sci.esa.int/planck/51551-simple- … to-planck/

As for what happens without time, I'll take Einstein's and Hawking's word for what happens without time. Perhaps a little light reading will help.

3. Jerami profile image59
      Jeramiposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Except for things which I have read about, time did not exist in my world until 1949.   
      I choose to believe some of the things which I have read as proof of those things having happened and I choose  to be skeptical as to whether some of those things did in fact happen (as does everyone.)

I believe time was before I came into existence.  Time existed before any means were created to measure it.  Time was before anyone became aware of its passing.
            If a star is born today, Time was before this star came to be. If a planetary system were to develop around this star,  it is most likely there would be no evidence  within this new planetary system of time existing before it came into existence.
          In this same manner, there is no way for us to know if anything existed (in time) before this system which we are a part of.

1. JMcFarland profile image69
        JMcFarlandposted 10 years agoin reply to this

So apparently believers don't respect a thread for unbelievers only, but the unbelievers are supposed to respect and stay away from threads for only believers.  Interesting.

1. Jerami profile image59

Did I mention what my beliefs concerning Atheism , Theism, or God in any way shape or form?                NO, I don't think so!   

And was I being disrespectful to Atheist or Theist in any way ?   No !  I don't think so!

This would be like someone starting a thread which says,  "How Americans  cook beef on a grill the best"  and expect Europeans to not offer their opinion.

Should the line in the sand keep getting wider ???

1. profile image0

Jerami, you are absolutely right, however this thread was started in response to another thread that was for believers only.

Your objection to the exclusion is respected.

Thank you RAD Man.  I knew what you were responding to, and I made a comment the other day stating that I understood (and agreed with a large portion of) what both sides to that argument was saying when it was posted. 

I really don't understand or agree with the radical element contained within the radical fundamentalist or radical Atheists.    If anyone is looking for answers or a real discussion I don't think it will be found on the FArrrrrr right or FArrrr left ; overlooking everything which lies between.   

Let me add,  I don't think that you are radical in your point of view.  From what I have seen,  You have posted reasonable questions which can be respected.

2. JMcFarland profile image69

It was a simple observation.  Not a criticism or a personal attack of any kind.  I apologize if you took my observation personally.

Do you think the other thread would respect exclusions in this manner?

I didn't take your comment personally, or to be critical.  I think I took it for what it was, as you explained it.

As for your question,   I quit trying to guess how other people will react.  I spend most of my time figuring out how I should react.

Ok.  Your response just seemed defensive.

Maybe that is what you were expecting of me, when you posted your observation ????

Not really.  I don't tend to expect much of anything from practical strangers.  Just interesting.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)