Hide and modify your own activity.

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (42 posts)
  1. profile image0
    epsonok0posted 10 years ago

I have a suggestion.
    The ability to hide your recent activity on different levels.
    1. Share with only followers.
    2. Share publicly.
    3. Make my recent activity private.

Also another related feature. The ability to remove your own comments and or entries anywhere they are on the site.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image90
      Rochelle Frankposted 10 years agoin reply to this

What's the point?
      Aren't we here to attract readers? If you are posting private things, this is the wrong place.

1. profile image0
        epsonok0posted 10 years agoin reply to this

What I can not figure is why all the places you comment on HP is relevent to readership. Your hub content is all they should be concerned with. In my initial study of the Hummingbird system and how html gets read by crawlers, they follow links from your hub to your profile. Everywhere you act on HP is in your profile under recent activity and therefore in your profiles HTML and if so the crawlers are following those links and if they rank low your Hubs score cards are getting less than they deserve just because of the HTML chain that connects your hub to you to your activity and then to all those other hubs, forums and questions.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image90
          Rochelle Frankposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You have the option of not replying to anything-- other than that, I would refer you to the comment of relache, above.

2. relache profile image73
      relacheposted 10 years agoin reply to this

If you can't say it in public, and own that you said it, you shouldn't say it in the first place. 

There actually is a editing/deletion timeframe, during which you can change or remove comments, and IMO that's more than adequate.

1. profile image0

We are all fallible and those that claim not are full of it. Maybe you are right but lets face it. Nearly every other site with a forum feature allows you to self moderate after the fact. There is a such thing as regret the next day.

1. relache profile image73

And as I pointed out, you can edit and delete your comments on this site.  But not if you wait a day.

3. Cardisa profile image88
      Cardisaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I think you are forgetting that this is not a social network. The features you are requesting sound like those from Facebook.

1. profile image0

If i could direct your attention to the bottom of the page you will see ning glam social. This site was created with social networking tools.

No, it wasn't.  That stuff only appeared about a year ago.  It's just a veneer.

1. profile image0

Glam redesigned the platform for the site. This is one thing I'm sick of. You comment an argument to whatever I write. Why would HP just put a social networking companies logo on their site? You don't need to be like this towards everything I say. You do this all the time to me. Seriously.

I'm sharing the knowledge and experience I have as someone who has been on this site since it was in beta test mode and who has participated in the testing if nearly every new feature that's been invented over the last seven years. 

If you don't like that, that's your choice.

1. profile image0

And that knowledge and experience would be received better if you did not present it in such a bossy way.

2. wilderness profile image96
              wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this
            3. Cardisa profile image88

Why do you take offense to what Relache said? She is hardly ever incorrect. She is probably the longest non-staff member here. She knows more about this site than most of the newer staff members. Many hubbers have come and gone and left her here and I suspect by the looks of it many more will come and leave her here.

I know that sometimes she can sound a little stern but that is Relache for you. Why not take the message from the messenger?

1. wilderness profile image96

You are incorrect.  We have it from the horse's mouth (http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/118143#post2492505) that HP was created with social networking tools before those tools existed.  And then redesigned as a social site a couple of years ago, with no one noticing any difference (http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/118143#post2492519).

And if you're interested, I have some ocean front property in Arizona for sale...

1. Cardisa profile image88

Wilderness you're confusing me. Who's incorrect and what horses mouth? This thread is giving me a headache. Was I incorrect? Were you replying to me?

Didn't you follow the links?

I must admit to a little sarcasm here.  Just a tiny bit, you understand!  Check the links and all will (hopefully) be made clear.

2. Cardisa profile image88

For those who don't know what NING is, they are not only a social network building tool, they offer server services as well. Hubpages is using them to host their site. Hubpages was not built with NING, they just host the site there.

4. moonlake profile image82
      moonlakeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

By the way you do have the right to make suggestions, old hubber or new hubber everyone has that right. HP may not go along with it and very likely they won’t. No one should have made you feel bad about the suggestions you made. Kindness can always be used when answering you back but often is not used on the forums.

1. profile image0
        jasonstover9posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Ya, I sort of noticed that too.

5. cheaptrick profile image75
      cheaptrickposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'll take 3...cause I hate jail...especially when that Big hairy guy is in there...he likes me way to much...

2. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

Because?

1. profile image0

Part one of my suggestions the 3 part one, is due to HTML relationship and our hubs. Part two is because sometimes we may comment on a hub and realize later that we don't really agree with what we wrote.

2. profile image0
      Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Shame.

3. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

Most of the forums I am on don't allow it.  You can edit your posts.  That is more than sufficient IMHO.

4. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
    DzyMsLizzyposted 10 years ago

There is but one simple answer, and you won't like it:  if you want things to stay private, then stay off the Internet altogether.  That's the only surefire way to keep things you want to say private.  Oh, and better stay off the cell phone, as well; those aren't so private anymore, either.

5. profile image0
    calculus-geometryposted 10 years ago

When you post a comment on a hub while you are logged in, the profile link is only visible to other logged in users.  This was a recent change made by HP to reduce the number of links on a page.  Search engine bots do not have logged in status, so when they crawl a hub, they do not crawl the profiles of users who commented on that hub.

Most people who visit this site aren't users.  If a visitor is reading a hub that you left a comment on, they can't click any link to your profile, and chances are they won't bother doing a site search for your username to find out more about you and read up on your latest site activities. 

In your other thread http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/118141 you said "I can not help but feel that it sets the tone for a lot of bad assumptions regarding me, from those hubbers and witnesses."  Most visitors' impressions of you will be based on your hubs, not comments you make.  If you want to create a good impression, write hubs that are factually accurate and contain information people are looking for, and follow the rules of grammar and spelling so that your readers consider you an intelligent and reliable source of information.

6. profile image0

I run two gaming forum communities online. They both show Google and bing bot as registered users. They do not appear on public user lists but are registered. When they are crawling they show up as a user online now. Not a guest.

7. profile image0

You expect something different?  You really think that an old, known, respected and almost always correct hubber will be shunted aside for unsupported opinions from a nube that has a chip a mile high on their shoulder and attacks anyone that provides historical facts?

Doesn't work that way in my world.  And it's why my posts for the first year were questions, not a pile of suggestions that the site be reworked to specifications I liked better. Quote from wilderness

You are very clever wilderness. This tactic used for all that do not know is when you make a blanket statement designed to discredit anything that the person you are trying to argue with does. Stating that I make a bunch of suggestions to change the site to my liking is like me saying you write a bunch of hubs that can not decide if they want to be DIY, google key word heavy, or general social arguments and political banter. Its like you are trying to say you are better than me because you just wrote questions in your first year. You also clearly know that making the 9th reply to a single reply is the final reply  that can be made. So your comment can stand undisputed. I do not have a chip on my shoulder. Clearly that is what people will think because you implant that idea now. Very well played. And once again your hub score is well above mine. As is the scores of everyone who posed arguments against me. Either I am a fortune teller or correct in my beliefs about the type of people who frequent this site and in a way represent it.

You didn't ask, but I'll answer anyway.  Allow me, please, to correct the misinformation you have given here about the 9th reply being the last one possible. 

See, if you will push that "chronological" button in the upper right of the screen, you can still reply to the post.  You can verify the number of replies by following the mini-thread leading to http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/117810#post2489610

No evil motives, disallowing you to reply after all!

Maybe the hubber score is higher because I've been around longer.  I've written lots more hubs, I've learned what HP wants in the hubs and write accordingly, I've made more forum post, helped more people (like telling them how to reply to a forum post) and provided more feedback to HP.  Much is possible in a long life on any site, but it is difficult to learn all the ins and outs in a short time.  Give it a couple of years - you'll learn.  If you don't piss off all the elder hubbers that can help you, anyway.

8. profile image0

Ok, here is the deal. I am going to hereby apologize publicly to everyone. Anyone that it applies to I am sorry. I will be setting everything back at start here and now. I will be applying advice and only commenting where I know what I am talking about. I was very stressed out today when a few things happened in the real world and was basically looking for trouble. I will be writing several hubs about my problems today and how they were resolved. I also was bumming about very low traffic on two of my hubs. All the rest get a lot of views a day. But those two were stubborn. And they are gone as a result.
    I am asking everyone including wilderness, relache, and cardissa for your forgiveness and a clean slate.
    Please do not hesitate to give me advice in the future and help me become half the hubber you all are. You realy are very bright people.

We all have a bad day.  You have a great evening and a better day tomorrow. smile

1. profile image0

thanks, you too.

1. profile image0
          jasonstover9posted 10 years agoin reply to this

nice job jen. You really know how to make a mess of a forum. You did better than usual this time, at least you did not start name calling like last time. Good job with the apology.

1. profile image0

ya, ya jason I hear you. LOL I did make a rather large mess. But I dont think anyone took it personal this time.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)