Measure of success?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (43 posts)
  1. JG11Bravo profile image73
    JG11Bravoposted 10 years ago

The lack of stat updates is driving me insane and got me wondering if I'm over-the-top with my constant supervision of my view count.  I seem to hone in and focus on anything I can quantify as a measure of my success since I seem to get minimal comments on my hubs, the total views being first and foremost.

That said, I wonder... How do you measure your success?

1. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

My goal is a payment each month.  I am not quite there yet.  But it sure saves time to just check in with the goal once a month wink

JG11Bravoposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I suspect that I'll wind up doing the same once I start accruing any variety of earnings whatsoever.

1. CMHypno profile image83
          CMHypnoposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Patience, you've only been here two weeks.  It takes time to write good hubs, it takes times for them to gain traffic, it takes time to gain followers and it usually takes time to make first payment.  Give yourself a break and think 6 months rather than 6 weeks.

Oh, of course!  I don't expect to earn anything for some time yet.  Truth be told, I write more as a hobby than anything.  The only reason I write here is that I enjoy the assorted accolades, awards, and the constructive criticism offered by what seems to be a very pleasant and helpful community.  I take more pride in my EC's than I do in my Earnings Summary.

2. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Money, enjoyment, satisfaction. The order changes as to whether it is a how-to or creative writing.

3. Writer Fox profile image33
      Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

A forum is "a place where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged."  So it is a proper place to express your feelings about the lack of stat updates.  I started the thread "I wish the stats would update" which expressed my feelings, and, after 74 posts, Matt closed the thread.

I think feelings are important and that this is the place to express them.  Like you, I do monitor the stats throughout the day and rely on them to direct my attention to what needs to be done.  I also check to see which Hub's traffic might be influencing the CPM. With holiday Hubs, there is only a short window of time to make money with them and to lose 1 1/2 days of the stats is a lot out of a 21-day opportunity.  I have had success here with holiday Hubs, but they do require constant monitoring and tweaking during their limited optimum traffic period.

1. paradigmsearch profile image60

HubPages stats are for a convenient overview. Analytics is where one goes for specific analysis (even with the mess that Analytics is...).

Btw, per a sometime-ago staff post, hub stats maintenance is outsourced, i.e., not done by an HP staffer.

2. profile image0
        epsonok0posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I did see that the thread was closed and was sad because their was a lot of good talk on their. In the future post to free forum discussion as the only rule their is no forum fighting and TOS violations. Generaly unless their is a request from the specific creator of the thread to shut it down, the will not in that forum. To shut your own thread down, edit your first post and type, "I see that this thread has bla bla bla (type what your reason is), so I am asking that it be closed".

4. Susana S profile image94
      Susana Sposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Over the last few years it's definitely been the amount of monthly income. Last month was successful - I earned over $600 on HP.

In the early days I used to give myself little targets, mainly based on traffic levels and number of hubs published. E.g. publish one hub per week, reach 500 views per day, get a specific hub to reach 50 hits per day etc, or spend a few hours doing keyword research to find some promising (high traffic/low competition) phrases.

Oh yeah - and do use google analytics for your stats - you'll find it much more helpful in the long run. HP's stats have never been good enough and were only designed to offer the basics.

5. quiterandom profile image69
      quiterandomposted 10 years agoin reply to this

My measure of success is only that someone was able to find information they needed easily, or helped someone understand an idea or process more thoroughly.
      Pretty low standards, I know.

6. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I certainly don't use comments as any kind of measure, because most comments are made by members of HubPages. We are a very small community, and if your traffic is mainly from within that community, you will never be successful!

Like other established Hubbers, I look at my payments to judge my success more than anything.

2. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 10 years ago

My measures have changed in three years.

First was to get published on HubPages!  Funny now, but when I started I thought "Whoo this is the internet - I hope I am good enough"

Next was accolades and comments and likes and all that stuff.

Then came search engine traffic.  Occasional shares and links.

With that came a little money.  Google have more or less killed search traffic as far as I am concerned. It is too random, unfair and arbitrary to be worth chasing.

My fun success today was a first Zazzle sale.  My main aim more these days would be to get decent social traffic through people liking my stuff enough to share it.

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/8484921_f248.jpg

I fall firmly in the second category just now, and that timeline looks pretty darn accurate to me.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image81
        Mark Ewbieposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Well look - good luck to you.  There is plenty of support on HubPages - people ranging from novice to experienced.

Much obliged.  I'm not in a position where I'm going to drive myself insane over it, but it admittedly feels good to see some growth in popularity.  Affirmation that I can write things that are worth reading, I suppose.

1. profile image0

Try to make a Facebook page devoted to your work and make sure your friends list follows it, Then share each hub to Facebook. 1 A DAY! and you should gain more traffic. Your readership will increase over time. Some days I get 1 or two visitors to all of my hubs other days its dozens on each.

I actually did the Facebook page thing this morning, finally... I do write more than one a day, though. Its a hobby and I write fast. I make no apologies for it.

1. profile image0

Its ok, but frequent Facebook sharing can drive people away.

I can't have that.  I only have about six friends to begin with.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image90
                    Rochelle Frankposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You need to get out more-- or maybe not,--some loners are very creative within their own space.

2. profile image0

Encourage people to share. People love it if they can support something so encourage sharing with memes generated with a link to a hub the meme is about. Facebook is a meme and other such things, haven. Try that. When you put the meme on facebook be sure it says "share if you agree". That may spread it if it is good enough.

2. Dorsi profile image87
      Dorsiposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Congrats Mark!

Hey, I agree alot with what Mark said,,,,my success now is getting paid every month and I hope that ONE day I will make enough between HubPages, Zazzle, my website and the Examiner to make a little comfy living. At one point before Google pulled the rug out from many of us here at HP, some of us were on our way to being self sufficient writers $$$.

So much for that. We are at the mercy of Google....so be diverse and be patient most of all! It took me 10 months to get my first payout.

And I used to be an obsessive stat checker way back when. Now I usually look at the stats once or maybe twice a day, sometimes not at all for a day or two....

1. profile image0

With Zazzle your 50/50 on earnings. I am there now for almost a year and almost no earnings. I have alright and original products and in my book it costs to much. My content has also been stolen a half dozen times.

1. Dorsi profile image87

I only have a 20% royalty set on my products, and just started really trying harder at Zazzle with my designs. I'm almost to the $50 payout and tried in earnest just about 2-3 months ago. I've been there since 2009 or so but just didn't do much except things for myself.

This Zazzle is forgein to me I'm afraid. Ill have to investigate.

1. profile image0

You pick a blank product. Put your own art on it. And try to sell it.

3. Will Apse profile image87
      Will Apseposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That rasta is pretty cool, lol. I'm sure I know him (I lived in Clapham for years).

3. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 10 years ago

My measure of "success" on here has always been monthly earnings, and because of that - daily traffic in general and/or to any one Hub.

I think, though, that taking a look at "My Account" at least once a day works well, because - at least for me - it gives me a reading of any ups-and-downs, so that I can see anything "dramatic" and trends within my own account.  While I'm there I scan for things like any broken links and do a quick check for unfeatured Hubs that may show up.

Skipping days here or there is fine too, but to me, for the person who is kind of experimenting with different types of Hubs/writing, looking at least once a day at that 24-hour figure is part of keeping track of what's going on.  For the most part, I don't look at the traffic of individual Hubs at all. If anything shocking goes on with any of them I'll notice it when I do the same daily check of Google earnings.

On the other hand, if I'm tired and/or have nothing better to do I'll go look at traffic and/or earnings for the heck of it sometimes.

Once a day?  I check mine.... slightly more often than that.

4. Writer Fox profile image33
    Writer Foxposted 10 years ago

Stats just updated.  Must have been something I said.

5. JG11Bravo profile image73

Not at all. I can relate.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image90

I was going to say the same....

6. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 10 years ago

Every time someone visits one of my hubs, I have made a contribution to society. I like that.

Seriously. If your hubs are visited, say 100 times a day, that is 100 minds you have contributed to. That is a very worthy thing to accomplish. And you even get paid for it. An average of 300 visits a day means that you have contributed to the minds of over 100,000 people in the course of a year. Personally I find that stunningly awesome. And it is a truly legitimate reason to feel good about yourself.

1. Writer Fox profile image33
      Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I like it when you make forum posts like this one!

Thanks. smile

2. Dorsi profile image87

me too!

You'll have to blame Bubblews for why they are so seldom. big_smile

2. Rochelle Frank profile image90

That is profoundly motivating. You have given me a new reason to step up my writing.

I sometimes write hubs that people mark as helpful, or interesting, or even funny. I really enjoy having that small influence to evoke a thought or -- even to tickle the funnybone, since laughter or elevating a mood is also good for health.

Thanks, Paradigm--- you lifted my spirit.

Seems like a fair number think that way. Its always pleasant to provoke a thought in a world where thinking often seems to be on the decline.

2. paradigmsearch profile image60

Thanks. I'm glad I posted it here instead of Bubblews.

7. JG11Bravo profile image73

That's a good way to look at it, I think.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)