What should HP staff discuss in the meeting tomorrow?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (80 posts)
  1. Writer Fox profile image31
    Writer Foxposted 10 years ago

What things would you like the staff to discuss in the proverbial Thursday meeting? Here's my list:
    1. How soon can the programmers make an option to 'NoFollow' photo credit links?
    2. Why isn't Hub Score more reflective of search engine traffic numbers?
    3. Is HP planning to adapt to 3D viewing for mobile and tablets for 2014?

1. cfin profile image65
      cfinposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Why is Hub score not only not reflective of search engine traffic, but it is random in the extreme.

I had a 99. I made improvements. I am now an 86.

1. profile image0
        Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

haha. That happens to me every time I "improve" a hub. Im scared to touch them... they go from being featured to unfeatured in a heartbeat.

1. cfin profile image65
          cfinposted 10 years agoin reply to this

All of my hubs are featured. If they are unfeatured, I just go in, add a "," and save. Wah-lah, featured hub. It's a joke system.

1. profile image0

lol. All of my hubs were featured at one time too. I thought I must certainly have a knack... then when the changes came, they slowly got pulled. I cry at night as I drift off to sleep. sad

2. erinshelby profile image69
            erinshelbyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Where do you put the quotation mark to make an unfeatured hub featured? In the title? In any part of the article? By itself like this:

Why do people garden? People garden because blah blah blah " blah blah

2. Writer Fox profile image31
          Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I have postponed updating many things on my Hubs for this very reason.  I would rather not improve them than risk some ridiculous Hub Score.

1. wilderness profile image95
            wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Why?  Are you like Beth and suffer great emotional distress when the hubber score descends into the 80's?  smile

1. profile image0

I don't know how long that's gonna hold out. lol

2. profile image0

Yeah, you don't want a ridiculous hubscore! How humiliating that would be. lol

3. janshares profile image93
            jansharesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

What's up with that anyway? Beth, I've noticed the same regarding drops in hubscores, some drastic, after editing to make the hub better. It is getting worse. It's getting on my nerves. It's as if we're punished for doing the right thing. Whatever HP algorithms. sad

1. Suzanne Day profile image93
              Suzanne Dayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

+1. I edited some hubs and hubscore dropped from 97 to 89.

2. profile image0

Jan, how dare you? You're at a 97... you can complain but just for one second, then you have to go back to making the rest of us look bad. lol

2. Suzanne Day profile image93

Can we have a "Home" page like the first page we see when we login to Hubpages and everyone's hubs, forum comments etc are on there? I can't seem to find how to get back to this page, apart from logging out and in again. It might help with hub visiting....

PS - what I really mean is a button for that page.

2. IzzyM profile image86
        IzzyMposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Click on the big white Hubpages sign top left of every page, next to the search box.

OK, thanks for that tip! Will be using it.

2. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 10 years ago

Don't know as to should, but I can guess as to what.

1. Thanksgiving week work schedule.
    2. Keeping on the good side of Google.
    3. What the heck to do about mobile advertising revenue.

3. toptengamer profile image86
    toptengamerposted 10 years ago

One that isn't talked about enough:

How to integrate Amazon ads that aren't blocked by AdBlock.

There are definitely ways to do this and many sites that incorporate similar ads that are not blocked. Considering most other ads will get blocked either way, this is very important for monetization.

This is a bigger deal than many know and, in my opinion, worthy of discussion.

1. aa lite profile image85
      aa liteposted 10 years agoin reply to this

+1 I have once started a thread on this in the "suggest a feature" section, was completely ignored by staff.  Wizzley manages to do it, so it can't be that hard!

1. toptengamer profile image86
        toptengamerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yes aa lite - Squidoo manages to do it too

4. Writer Fox profile image31
    Writer Foxposted 10 years ago

I forgot to add one of the most important things: When will the programmers incorporate a way to write an Alt Tag for images which is different than the caption?  As it is, we are missing out on many image searches because we can't designate real Alt Tags or we compromise a caption because we are targeting the Alt Tag (which is a bad user experience).

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 10 years agoin reply to this

+1

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
      DzyMsLizzyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Ok--**tosses in white flag** 
      What's an "Alt tag?"

1. Writer Fox profile image31
        Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this
        1. DzyMsLizzy profile image85

Thank you very much, Writer Fox, for that link.  That was most helpful.

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
            paradigmsearchposted 10 years agoin reply to this

WF is indeed a keeper. big_smile

5. janshares profile image93
    jansharesposted 10 years ago

Any hot topic that keeps hot-popping in the forums without resolution:

1.   Confusion about HOTD criteria
    2.   Confusion about EC benefits and purpose
    3.   The value of continuing eBay ad capsule if only a few hubbers benefit

1. Cardisa profile image88
      Cardisaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I am not sure if the last one is correct but I like the two first ideas.

I believe that in order to really benefit from eBay or Amazon your hubs have to be specific to what you are selling such as review hubs or direct sales hubs. Placing capsules in regular articles will not make you much, if any money. If and when you do place an item in a regular hub, you must recommend the item to the reader which reminds me, I too need to edit some of those hubs and take my own advice!

1. janshares profile image93

Please tell me if this is what you mean: I have a parenting article where I cite a researcher and put one of her books in an ad capsule close to the paragraph where she is mentioned. Or, I have a recipe hub where I put a specific spice I used in an ad capsule. I do this regularly for most of my hubs. I've recently changed all but one over to all Amazon since eBay has been zero.

Yes but you need to tell the reader that, that is your recommendation. I learned that from Relache. I found that the hubs which include a write up of the products gets click through to either eBay or Amazon. The reader doesn't always buy but you never know. Making sales in information and recipe hubs comes by luck because when people are looking for info they aren't necessarily looking to buy. If you want direct sales you must write product hubs.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
            rebekahELLEposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I think it depends on the topic and how it is presented.  Informational hubs certainly produce sales.   I would be more inclined to buy an interesting book after reading about a specific location over buying a cheap spoon I found on a recipe hub.  I would buy the spoon at Target. smile

lol big_smile

2. janshares profile image93

Good point, rebekahELLE.

2. janshares profile image93

Thanks, Cardisa. I do have one product hub. I don't know if I got any sales. Embarrassed to say I don't know how to check. Is it under hub metrics?

If you got any eBay sales it will show up on in the bay column of your earnings report. Just click your earning's link and you will see your earning for the last seven days. You can filter that and check for the month.

To see your overall eBay performance go to Earnings, and in the black box to your left click the eBay sales report.

Oh yes, I see that all the time. I guess what I mean is when I did get eBay earnings, I never knew which hub or product it came from. Same for Amazon. I think it's something in GA that I have not activated yet.

You can tell which hub the eBay sales came from if you go to the eBay sales page. I can't tell which hub the Amazon sales came fro though.

3. Will Apse profile image88
            Will Apseposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely right. You are risking your traffic for no good reason if you throw barely related affiliate links around.

You will not get many sales but it is easy for Google to decided your page, or your sub is spam.

Thanks, Will.

2. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Not necessarily.  Example: if you have a recipe that requires an unusual utensil, preferably a cheap one, you can successfully push that utensil.  You probably won't sell expensive ones as people are not prepared to buy at all, let alone drop $100, but if the recipe is enticing enough to them they might cough up $10.  Raising your Amazon tier and making way more on the expensive stuff sold from a sales hub.

Just stick a capsule to the side of where you mention that the tool is handy, or that you used it to do such and such, and follow the capsule by a short text capsule, floated right and colored blue along with the amazon capsule, about how great it is.

I do that with a couple of specialty tools and it has worked pretty well.  One in particular I generally sell a half dozen or so each month - worth the effort to spread amazon capsules and short blurbs about the usefulness of that particular tool through a dozen or more hubs.  Just that one tool, then, nearly gets me from the 4% to the 6% tier.  Now throw in a few $100 items and each one is worth another $2.

You said exactly what I said further down, Wilderness. Just sticking the item alone in there wont do, you have to tell the reader about it.

2. Victoria Lynn profile image88
      Victoria Lynnposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Is there talk about discontinuing the eBay capsule? I hope not, as quite a few of us can't be Amazon affiliates because of state laws. I make a little bit every month from my eBay capsules and could probably work some more in.

No Victoria, that's just my wish list for the HP meeting, expressing my concern about not getting eBay earnings since the change. I'm sure eBay will stay. smile

6. Kathleen Cochran profile image78
    Kathleen Cochranposted 10 years ago

Would love the HP staff give a round of applause to the staff person selecting Hubs of the Day.  The variety and quality have improved by leaps and bounds as far as I'm concerned.  They are still random, luck of the draw, many great hubs never receive this honor - but I think they currently reflect the quality and range of writing on the site better than they have in the past.

1. LuisEGonzalez profile image77
      LuisEGonzalezposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You mean like the "WTF..." Hub of the day, which Cardisa wisely pointed out?

1. Kathleen Cochran profile image78
        Kathleen Cochranposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I won't vouch for every one, but I got so tired of nothing but "How To" every day.

I don't like titling things with "How To..." myself.. unfortunately, that's how people tend to search for stuff.. "How to fix a broken chair"  "How do I fix a leaky faucet"  "How to read Pig Latin"  etc....
          I have a few titles I was actually advised to CHANGE to "How To..." for better traffic.   sad 
          It irks me, as I'm from old-school print journalism, in which you write a clever "hook" type title.

1. profile image0

How to enjoy my awesome poem.

How to read this hub.

How to increase my traffic.

Im going to rename my hubs.

LOL, Beth.

1. profile image0

smile

7. Faith Reaper profile image84
    Faith Reaperposted 10 years ago

I hope it is in the works for one to be able to pin, tweet, share on FB and on HubPages hubs from our cell phones.

1. profile image0
      Beth37posted 10 years ago

I would still like to be able to bookmark hubs when I come across them so that I can read them when I have time. I would also like a way to "like" a post cause I find +1ing things slightly odd.

Yes--a "like" button here in the forums would be a very good thing!  Thumbs up/down like in the Q&A ...

2. profile image0
      Crimsonfalconposted 10 years ago

Why don't the staff members start providing better reasons than a few links to a large page of complaints when person's hub is supposedly sub-par. I mean the quality pages and Hubpage complaints are by far the most vague and non-descriptive things I have ever seen online. It really says a lot about your site and your dedication to helping well not helping hubpage members.

3. cfin profile image65
      cfinposted 10 years ago

They should discuss how candles were once obsolete and yet now, here we are, buying candles for our homes again at a premium price. Will typewriters eventually rise from the dead and take us all away in our sleeps? sad

1. ocfireflies profile image71
        ocfirefliesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Candles are really important when you need a quick light.  "[T]ypewriters ris[ing] from the dead"  actually sounds pretty cool.  If I could draw, I would  draw; If I could write, I would write; if I had a sense of humor, then I would put them together and have a clever cartoon.  Smiles.

4. Will Apse profile image88
      Will Apseposted 10 years ago

Here is a trumpet to blow for anyone who has lost their own.

http://www.trinitytrumpet.co.uk/SiteImages/trumpet-2.gif

1. profile image0

Who's blowing their own horn?
        You really enjoy posting pics.

1. Will Apse profile image88

The guilty know who they are.

And the pic is nice and shiny. You never need an excuse for a shiny pic.

1. profile image0

Enjoy.

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/8527498.jpg

Is that the Eye of Sauron? There is shiny and there is retina threatening.

1. profile image0

It's the sun. Don't look directly at it.

It is not the sun.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_kwoeqBU-2wY/TPT-ozX_VOI/AAAAAAAAAAw/38I4JYbsbEA/s1600/Margritti+this+is+not+a+pipe.jpg

1. profile image0

Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/8527523_f248.jpg

I forgot that you live in the state that exports leaf death to the world.

You fiend!

Children might look at that picture.

2. NateB11 profile image88
        NateB11posted 10 years agoin reply to this

lol

I'm glad you like my trumpet Nate because it looks as if you could beat me up rather easily.

1. profile image0

I could too, but I don't like to brag.

If you have a black kimono like Nates I might not put up too much of a struggle.

1. profile image0

lol

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)