Coffee... I hardly knew ye.

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (16 posts)
  1. JG11Bravo profile image72
    JG11Bravoposted 10 years ago

Well, it has finally happened.  At the urging of my doctor, I have quit drinking caffeine entirely.  As a former pot-a-day coffee drinker, I am not handling this well.  My energy levels and cognitive functions seems to be suffering immensely, and the persistent headache is enough to drive me quite insane.  I'm assured that I'll feel better in the long run, but this certainly isn't pleasant.

Anyone gone cold turkey from caffeine before?  Any anecdotes to share?  Advice?  General thoughts?

1. wilderness profile image93
      wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I did the same thing - quit cold turkey.  Iced tea in my case, but still caffeine.

Just like you, bad headaches and no energy, but it did not last - mostly gone in three days and completed in a week.  The desire took considerably longer, but at least the physical symptoms were gone in a week.

JG11Bravoposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I rather like that timeline.  I can handle a week of this if it means improving my overall health.

I may be joining you shortly - even though I'm only good for a couple of cups per day, my Dr. would like to see it end.  I won't give up my morning coffee, but am more than willing to dump the caffeine, so have bought caffeine free for when the current can runs out.  We'll see how it goes.

That's the same tactic I'm applying.  I always used to say that decaf was against my religion, but here I am.

I'm not a coffee connoisseur (even instant is OK with me) and the lack of caffeine won't bother me as far as enjoyment of that cup 'o Joe.  Whether it produces withdrawal remains to be seen.

2. ShyeAnne profile image85
      ShyeAnneposted 10 years agoin reply to this

A couple of times I went on  4 day fasts to cleanse my body and mind. The first time I weaned myself off of coffee over a period of a week to ten days.  I felt no ill effects aside from a bit of impatience that my addiction wasn't being satisfied.  The second time I became complacent and quit caffeine the morning the fast began.  This was not a good decision for me and I would not stop using caffeine, or any potentially addictive substance cold turkey ever again unless there was an immediate threat to my life.  My advice is to take the time to ease the body out of the addiction.  Addictions are not created overnight and unless one's life or well being is in immediate danger, slow and steady withdrawal wins the race.

I imagine that's applicable for a lot of people, but cold turkey seems to work for me.  I've mentioned it before, but I've been sober for a number of years now via a cold-turkey quit.  I imagine it's a subjective issue, depending entirely upon the personality of the individual.  Come to think of it, a lot of what I was told to do in order to quit just didn't work for me.  I just had to buckle down, tell myself "no", and stick to it.

3. Bishop55 profile image88
      Bishop55posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I did not read all the replies sorry, why did your doc urge you to quit?  Last I knew small doses were good for the heart.  I have no other advice, sorry.  Can't you wean off? Like dry unleaded for awhile?  I know there are small levels of caffiene in decaf?  Take large doses of Alleve maybe?  Drink lots of water?  I have no idea.

I think it's on the list of things every doctor tells everyone to stop doing, but long and short I had a pretty severe upper respiratory infection, and the caffeine wasn't helping the inflammation in my throat.  Weaning off just doesn't do it for me.  I can tolerate a week of irritability and headaches if the end result is overall better health... It isn't as if I'm not a rageaholic to begin with.

4. Faith Reaper profile image83
      Faith Reaperposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Awesome!  I remember many years ago I tried to go cold turkey, and we had this huge meeting at work, and the top of my head felt as though it was about to blow off!  I could not figure out from where or why such pain was coming, then a woman asked me didn't I just quit drinking coffee cold turkey, and I did.  So, she brought me a small cup of coffee, and the severe pain was gone almost in an instant.  I think due to the constriction of the veins and then release.  Needless to say, I still drink coffee, my one real vice, but now I started adding French Vanilla Creamer : (

5. profile image0
      MysticMoonlightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You are a brave and courageous man! Go you! I wish you the best of luck and I commend you on making a choice to improve your health, that's wonderful!

I understand why many give it up but I've decided that coffee is the one thing that I refuse to give up in my life. I don't drink, I don't do drugs, I don't smoke...yep, I live the straight and narrow to a T,  I'm boring, I do all of life's supposed to business, etc. so I draw the line at giving up my coffee. It's my one and only rebel streak! It's the magic liquid that makes my overscheduled life doable. Plus, I'm stubborn and that's all I have to say about that! smile

2. profile image0
    Beth37posted 10 years ago

Well, good for you, I say! I gave up so many bad habits in 2009 and picked several back up. Unfortunately I started smoking again, and I really hate that. With coffee, you can think of some good reasons to do it, extra energy, cognitive skills, as you said, the social factor... but smoking, there's no time, as your inhaling actual smoke that your not thinking, "I cannot imagine being any stupider than I am in this moment."

I wish you the very best of luck. It is an amazing feeling to conquer something that has you hostage. Keep it up! smile

Indeed it is a great feeling, Beth.  I've done it before and I know I'll be glad I did in the long run, but that doesn't make the trip any less unpleasant.

3. Kristen Haynie profile image91
    Kristen Haynieposted 10 years ago

I did this about a month ago. I've been drinking coffee excessively for many years and decided to quit so I can rule it out as a possible allergen that I'm trying to identify.

The first day I was fine, but the second I got a violent headache and felt very groggy and just generally out of it. The third day was even worse, with my headache so bad that my vision was impaired and I was dizzy.

But after that the symptoms let up and I was just fine. I got my energy back and was feeling completely normal in about a week. If you can tough it out during those first 3 days or so, you'll be golden by the end of the week!

I suggest taking some over-the-counter pain reliever (I used ibuprofen) and drinking LOTS of water!

Good luck! I'll be rooting for you!

Thank you as well.  I was kind of expecting it to be worse than a week, but given my prior experiences with addiction I guess I have a bad taste in my mouth.  Perhaps I'll write a hub about it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)