HubPages Survey - Has anyone completed it?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (23 posts)
  1. LongTimeMother profile image92
    LongTimeMotherposted 10 years ago

I was trying to check my stats when a 'HupPages Survey' page appeared.

It offers a $50 gift (requiring you to pay postage) for completing 4 questions.

Says at the top "Official Survey HupPages. com"

At the bottom, however, it says "Copyright 2008-2013 All rights reserved. We are not affiliated nor partnered, with hubpages. com. hubpages. com has not authored, participated in, or in any way reviewed this advertisement or authorized it. The trial products offered on the last page pay this website for orders placed. "

Does anyone have an opinion on this?  Here's the link I copied from the top of their page ...

http://the-officialsurvey [dot] com /au_2/index1.php?keyword=hubpages [dot] com

2. Beth Eaglescliffe profile image93
    Beth Eaglescliffeposted 10 years ago

It looks like spam to me.

The very last sentence about “trial products” sets alarm bells ringing. You probably need to give your name and address plus credit card number in order to have your “survey entry” validated. And then they will debit your card for large amounts which you will find very difficult to get reversed.

Don’t touch it with a bargepole!

1. gitachud profile image68
      gitachudposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I agree, it looks suspicious and people should be warned not to click on it. I also think the link should not be shown in the forums.

LongTimeMotherposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hi gitachud. I put the address here in case it was of use to hp or others familiar with the offending address. Hopefully nobody will be silly enough to go there. smile

3. profile image49
    griffinbposted 10 years ago

I DO NOT KNOW. IF I FIND OUT I WILL LET YOU KNOW, BUT IF YOU GET MORE INFO.... LET ME KNOW WHAT TO DO.

4. LongTimeMother profile image92
    LongTimeMotherposted 10 years ago

Okay, this is interesting. I clicked on their question pages to snip them and save them for later reference in case HP was interested. Didn't give them any of my info of course.

But now I have a range of words on this page appearing in orange with a double underline eg 'click' in gitachud's post; 'credit card' in Beth E's post; and 'survey' in my own earlier post. An ad inviting me to complete a survey shows when I scroll over 'survey', but I'm not sure what would happen if I were to click on the other words.

Grrr. I guess now I will have to delete cookies and scan my hard drive etc. to get rid of it.

The company showing up is called 'easyinline'.

I thought it appropriate to raise the issue promptly, but it might only be happening in Australia. The address is .au although for all I know they may also operate in the uk, us etc.

1. Beth Eaglescliffe profile image93
      Beth Eaglescliffeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yes, the same scam operates in the UK and worldwide.

If you google "free gifts scam" you will see many examples of the same and similar.

It is very annoying, Beth. I haven't managed to shake it yet, so I am not editing any hubs for fear it will appear in them.

1. Writer Fox profile image31
          Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Try this free service: www.superantispyware.com
          This is one that I use all of the time and it should remove it from your computer.

1. tsadjatko profile image65
            tsadjatkoposted 10 years agoin reply to this

hey I have spybot and Microsoft Security essentials and have no threats show up on them plus I have avira antivirus - I downloaded superantispyware and scanned - it found 363 threats (mostly adware cookies, 3 malware.trace and 7 Trojan.agent and  and still scanning - how can that be when my other programs find nothing ?

1. The Examiner-1 profile image61
              The Examiner-1posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I only have Avira! and have had no problems. Plus at the moment it is the free version.

1. tsadjatko profile image65
                tsadjatkoposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Try writer fox's program and tell me what it finds...I heard some of these programs are programed to find stuff that isn't there so you buy them - not saying that is what this is but if not it must be way better than the three things  I am using.

I have renewed Avira! 2-3 times and I keep choosing the free version.

2. LongTimeMother profile image92

Thanks, Writer Fox. I will try it as soon as I get a spare minute. I appreciate your help. smile

5. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 10 years ago

Report it to admin.  It's a scam ad slipped into the ad feed on the site.

Will draw it to their attention, relache. Thanks.

6. The Examiner-1 profile image61
    The Examiner-1posted 10 years ago

LongTimeMother,
    Have you been drinking? HupPages Survey?

ROFL. Not once, but twice!  I hope I was drinking ... lol.

I could not resist, smile.
        When I followed the link that you gave all that came up was this site.

I realized what you had done with the 'dots' and I tried the link again with the dots corrected.
          First was your site. Next was a site from UK about 'official' survey. After that was something mentioning saltshakers, homosexuality, mafia...
          I would say that it is a spam.

lol. Saltshakers, homosexuality and mafia? I didn't see any of those. And you were taken to a site from the UK about official survey ... whilst mine was Australian.

I did not click any sites, I just told you what was crammed into the Google page.

7. hapijoh profile image60
    hapijohposted 10 years ago

Scams are everywhere, and I think it is just a scam. What the heck is happening to them.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)