Yet Another Scraper Stealing the Entire Site

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (45 posts)
  1. Writer Fox profile image34
    Writer Foxposted 10 years ago

This forum post discussed the scraping site ALLTOPIC.com:
    http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/115379

I have found another site which is scraping most of HubPages, right down to the HubPages-Tutorial-and-Community Section:

http://    all-topic.com

(Notice the hyphen in the name.)

I didn't find any of my Hubs there, so I'm not filing anything.  If you find yours, the Host is GoDaddy, and you file a complaint here:

https://supportcenter.godaddy.com/Abuse … p;ci=22420

This is the guy who owns the site:

Nguyen Huu Hai
    Cau Giay
    Ha Noi
    NA
    Vietnam
    Phone: +84.978922690
    Email Address: tips4all.net@gmail.com

And this is what he looks like:
    http://vn.linkedin.com/pub/nguyen-huu-hai/14/ba4/54

He's a freelance computer programmer.

Happy Hubbing.

1. Alison Graham profile image93
      Alison Grahamposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I found one of my hubs there but entering the domain name without the gap and with the hyphen gets this message "Invalid domain name format"?????

Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Of course, I don't want to make the link clickable, but just remove the spaces and paste it in your browser.  I just did and here's a screen shot.  All the Topic Pages are on the left:

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/8283085_f248.jpg

1. Lastheart profile image66
          Lastheartposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I found my hub accidentally in that same page. Now my hub comes through them and not by HubPages. I lost it. I didn't want to keep searching another of my hub, because it will give him or them a visitor.
          You made a good job here Writer Fox.

2. Cardisa profile image89
        Cardisaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

When I enter the name without the gap I get nothing. So I used www. and got to see the front page but on clicking on my hub the screen went blank.

With the hyphen, all-topic.com is still online with all of HP's content.

2. Froggy213 profile image62
      Froggy213posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks my friend--It was his site that I had noticed and mistakenly put alltopics without the hyphen. Good job on finding this dude. He must not have realized he put my wife's copyright notice with what he copied.

He may have had it under the domain without the hyphen and moved it to the one with a hyphen.  Guy's like this won't stop until they hear from the CEO of HubPages.

1. Froggy213 profile image62

I know, and many of us wonder why our views have went into the crapper. I have found that many of my articles are not showing in Google search like they once did. Hubpages, it is time for you all to go to battle for us. I have considered buying my own website and my wife and I may just move all our material out of here.
          At one time, I was making some ok money here. It has went down to nothing and I feel something quite questionable happening here at hubpages. With over 600 hubs, I should be at payout every month. Not so.
          I hope some changes happen soon, or I will be making some changes.

2. jacharless profile image75
          jacharlessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

As said once before, API data pulls are very common in the programme world. In fact all social sharing is based on pulling partial or whole units of data from one location to another. This fellow, like the other junior programmer, is testing to see if the code works and obviously it does. Try to conact him first and ask him to remove the resulted data.
          James

1. ologsinquito profile image82
            ologsinquitoposted 10 years agoin reply to this

jacharless,

Are you saying this was done inadvertently? If so, then contacting him directly would be the best bet. I guess what's difficult for non-techies to understand is how someone could do this by accident.

2. Froggy213 profile image62

Oh c'mon. He isn't checking code by copying a whole site. No way. Apathy can be your biggest enemy. He knew what he was doing.

1. jacharless profile image75

shakes head. Not all things are done with malicious intent. Especially when it comes to hacking (programming). What he and many programmers, myself included, often do is test new programming techniques. Scrapes are very common. In fact if you have ever shared an article on FB, Twitter, Stumble, Reddit, etc you are are scraper. This fellow, like the Frenchman, used Google's JavaScript API directly from HP to recreate the page. He did a great job, actually. I did not see any independent adverts which means he is not trying to profit from the hack. In short, never assume until you have all the facts. Drop him an email first. And while everyone is at it, delete all the scrapes you have
              ever used without the writers permission, enabling yourself or third  party platform to benefit from.

James.

1. wilderness profile image95
                wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Sorry, cannot go with you here, James.  It may be common to scrape others work and publish it as a test, but so is stealing.  That it is common doesn't make it OK.

It may or may not be with malicious intent, but that doesn't matter either.  It is harmful, it is illegal and it is unethical whatever the intended result.

Finally, there is an adsense ad at the end of each stolen article.  The thief (and it is a thief!) is indeed earning from his stolen content.

Off to file DMCA's with GoDaddy

1. jacharless profile image75

That ad has HP's doubleclick publisher number...awkward. Also, technically, he hadn't stolen anything. He, like FB, Pinterest, etc is ccurating content as a third party platform.
                  Again, before crowing thief, get the facts and then back up your firm position by removing every scrape you have done accidentally on purpose to increase your profit options.

1. wilderness profile image95
                    wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

No, he's not curating hubs.  He is reproducing them and publishing them.  While copyright law allows reproduction of small portions of published work, reproducing the entire article, or a significant portion thereof, is prohibited.

So, thief is the proper term.  Not curator, not exhibitor, not software test engineer.  Thief.

2. EricDockett profile image96
                    EricDockettposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Someone does not need to be an intentional thief, or even make money from their actions, to commit a copyright violation.  By copying a Hub he is tarnishing the uniqueness of it, and thereby reducing the author's capacity to earn money from their own work.  If his action has the ability to impact the creator's ability to earn from their work, he is committing a copyright violation. 

This is all aside from the fact that we seem to be having trouble with copied content outranking Hubs these days.  If his "curated' content outranks yours, he's taken money out of your pocket.  Just because he isn't making money himself doesn't make it okay.

3. Writer Fox profile image34

Why don't you send him an email.

3. Alisha Adkins profile image91
      Alisha Adkinsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

McAfee gives me a "Suspicious Site" warning when I try to go to all-topic.com.    The site is disreputable in many ways, it would seem.

You can count on that.  Run Superantispyware (free) after you visit.
        http://www.superantispyware.com/

4. LillyGrillzit profile image79
      LillyGrillzitposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank you two more stolen I just filed on healthylivingbox dot net. To find your stuff put on Google search alltopic space your writers name...ta da

1. LillyGrillzit profile image79

2 more filed against Alltopic.

http://l iverpoolwallpaper. net/large-size-sweatpants-for-tall-men-paul-edmondson-on-hubpages.html
          http:// adf.ly/211953/http: //edweirdo.hubpages.com/hub/Nicolas-Cage-Movies
          http://a df.ly/211953/http:/ /dorsi.hubpages.com/hub/Money-Orders-at-Walmart
          http://adf.ly/2 11953/  http://lillygrillzit.hubpages.com/
          http://liverpoolwallpaper .net/why-is-my-refrigerator-too-cold-steveomc-on-hubpages.html
          http://adf.ly/211 953/http://lillygrillzit.hubpages.com/hub/ Why-It-Has-Been-So-Hot-In-the-South-Summer-2010-The-Gulf-Coast

Maybe since such important people are being hit we Hubbers as a whole will get more assistance from HP. You are welcome. :-) There were many, many others there it starts as Liverpool wallpaper, then adfly. On my stuff alone, hundreds of hits. This is major theft.

2. LillyGrillzit profile image79

DONT CLICK ON ANY LIVE LINKS I BROKE THEM UP BEFORE PUBLISHING AS YOU CAN SEE LIKE THE REPTILES THEY ARE LITTLE BITS ARE ALIVE ON THEIR OWN...CREEPY. NOT YELLING JUST WARNING.

I love the way you said this.

Thank you. :-)

5. moonlake profile image82
      moonlakeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I saw one of my hubs on all-topic but when I clicked to check it out. I got a blank page. Wondering if they could be taking some of their stuff down. I have filed so many DMCA lately I may have alread y filed on this person.

6. Rock_nj profile image90
      Rock_njposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I can't believe that Google actually indexes and ranks these scrapper sites.  How lame is that?  Google should blacklist these sites and make it as though they don't exist in their rankings.

Also, I've been to websites that do not allow simple copy and past functions.  Some kind of code is written into the pages to prevent easy copying.  Would this help if HP implemented this copy prevention method, or are these programmers able to get around it by downloading the source code of the page and recreating it on their servers?

Well it looks like we can all stop worrying about this one - I am getting a blank white screen when I type in the url so looks as though the site has been taken down.

2. ologsinquito profile image82
    ologsinquitoposted 10 years ago

One of my hubs is there, word for word, pictures and all.

3. chef-de-jour profile image97
    chef-de-jourposted 10 years ago

Many thanks Writer Fox. There are many hubs from many hubbers. I've filed a complaint thanks to your link and hope that others will too. Let's keep at these thieves. It feels like they're in our front rooms.

4. jacharless profile image75
    jacharlessposted 10 years ago

PS, the API pulled all 15000+ articles wrapped in an iframe header. Thanks to Google's generous creation of the API callback.
    So, best to file a thief report against  Goo for allowing this process to happen in the first place. Go to the source of the problem, yes? Cut off the head of the snake makes more sense than picking at its scales...

5. Felisa Daskeo profile image82
    Felisa Daskeoposted 10 years ago

I just visited the alltopic.com site and there's a message at the top left saying, "the domain alltopic.com may be for sale by its owner.  I wonder why.

My hub is still there completely:

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/8291057_f248.jpg

I thought this site was taken down because I was just getting a white screen but have checked again and it is still there! GRRR!

6. Writer Fox profile image34
    Writer Foxposted 10 years ago

Put a hyphen between 'all' and 'topic' and the site is still there.  This could explain some of the lost traffic to HubPages.

He has copied 20,800 pages!

7. Anamika S profile image67
    Anamika Sposted 10 years ago

This is frustrating. I found more than 50 hubs of mine copied. I am wasting my time on filing DMCA. I find this exercise so tiring... so I divided it for 5 days. Send for 13 today.

8. LeslieAdrienne profile image69
    LeslieAdrienneposted 10 years ago

I have found 13 of mine so far.... arrrrrrgh!!! This guy is a thief... I am starting the reporting process tomorrow....

what is the quickest way of detecting these copied hubs on the site? Is it a question of putting each title into the search one by one or is there a better way? thanks, Alison

9. Mavis Hazelton profile image59
    Mavis Hazeltonposted 10 years ago

Yes would be good to know best method of checking

Check the topic pages in the left column.  They are identical to HubPages.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)