The Waltons Revisited: The Baldwin Sisters

Jump to Last Post 1-1 of 1 discussions (7 posts)
  1. Jacqueline4390 profile image82
    Jacqueline4390posted 10 years ago

As I watch an episode of The Waltons: The Graduation; I see John Boy paying a visit to two very dear and lovely ladies. Their names are Miss Mamie and Miss Emily Baldwin. When Miss Mamie gives John Boy Ashley Longworth’s tie pin as a gift for his graduation; I too feel the longing and loneliness this dear sweet woman must be experiencing. These two ladies have always touched my heart as does the members of the Walton Family. It seems that no matter how many times I watch the early episodes, I laugh, cry and get angry right along with that cherished family.

I wonder how many others are being touched continuously by the members of The Waltons and who is your favorite character?

1. oz-vitez profile image62
      oz-vitezposted 10 years agoin reply to this

My mother insisted that I grow up with the Waltons. I've watched 90% of the episodes over the years, I would guess. I enjoyed Daddy and Grandpa Walton; it was also funny to see John Ritter as the pastor of the church in the show's early years.

However, I cannot say that I have a favorite character. They were all good and had plenty of meaning. Ah, The Recipe; cured all ailments.

One of my favorite episodes was when John-Boy spent his first day at Boatwright University. He forgets something important and calls Ike Godsey, asking him to send Daddy with the needed document.

Daddy eventually pulled up to the building where John-Boy was standing, along with some older college students. Daddy, of course, was dressed in dirty overalls and a broken down hat, driving the old family truck. As the older students make fun of Daddy and wondered whose father he was, John-Boy stepped up and thanked him for bringing the item, disregarding the snide remarks. John-Boy showed both love and admiration for his father, regardless of Daddy's humble life working at home in the sawmill. Powerful stuff.

Jacqueline4390posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I agree. That particular episode is one of my least favorite. I just don't like uppity people and it would really upset me when the guys would tease John Boy. Being the youngest of my family, I got my share of teasing. I was considered a Nerd because I like to read.

But having the early years of the Walton's on DVD allows me to watch the ones that I like. Mary Ellen was a bit much for me and Elisabeth was spoiled (just like me.)

2. Phyllis Doyle profile image94
      Phyllis Doyleposted 10 years agoin reply to this

OMGosh, I loved watching The Waltons. Every episode was packed full of down-to-earth truths of daily life in those times. John (Daddy) Walton was my favorite character -- Ralph Waite was perfect for the part. He was the strong patriarch who commanded respect, yet he was compassionate with a tender heart, and he still turned to his own Daddy (Grandpa) for advice when needed. The whole family was cast very well. All of my emotions were expressed with watching the series.

I think that is what I loved best about the Walton's. It was like they were my family. Now John Boy is my favorite family character. I was the age of Richard Thomas and being a writer myself, I could emphasize with the plight of needing a place to write although I am the youngest.

I just love those Baldwin Sisters. Their sweet innocence regarding the recipe was charming!

1. Phyllis Doyle profile image94
          Phyllis Doyleposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I could relate strongly to John Boy, too, because I grew up in a family of seven kids and could rarely find a place of solitude to write or draw or just be myself. I was the middle middle middle child -- middle of seven, middle of three girls and middle of the four boys. The Baldwin sisters were so sweet and endearing. I loved it when they were on an episode.

WOW ... Talk about being in the middle of things! You were there. I am the youngest of 7 children. I hated being called "the baby." Still, I needed my space like John Boy.

How ever did you manage, Middle One?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)