How are humans different from animals?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (57 posts)
  1. janesix profile image60
    janesixposted 10 years ago

What specific things set humans apart from animals?

Enhanced reasoning skill?

The ability to imagine things?

Or is every ability we have just an advanced version of something animals have?

Is there anything uniquely human?

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Nearly all animals have a "speciality" if you will, that they excel in.  Perhaps vision, maybe hearing, maybe the ability to be frozen and survive.  Humans excel in intelligence, beyond what any other animal can claim.

Of course, they give up something for that as well; poorer senses in general, a huge birth penalty with birth causing a great many deaths.  An extremely long gestation period and an even longer period to develop full maturity. 

In our ecological niche (nearly anywhere, in other words) it seems to work out well for us, at least until we destroy ourselves and our much-vaunted intelligence.

2. Melissa A Smith profile image96
      Melissa A Smithposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Language is uniquely human, and that is the reason we are what we are. Language is the prerequisite for: art, ideology, ideas, an understood morality, innovation, writing, ect.

1. psycheskinner profile image83
        psycheskinnerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Language is not uniquely human as animals use various sound and movement to convey complex idea.  Like chicken has a call that means 'predator in the sky' (other chickens hide under things), and another one that means "predator on the ground" (other chickens look around to see where it is so they can run away.

Some animals even have language with grammar so the order of sounds or movements in a phrase changes their meaning.  They only thing unique to human language so far is complex and contextual grammatical structures such that 'time flies like and arrow' and 'fruit flies like an orange' mean totally different things and 'don't not do that' can be understood..

By the way, some animals have art despite not having language.  Bower birds using color theory and forced perspective--they were using the latter before people learned to use it.

And animals very much have morality.  I recently saw a show where a male boss monkey prevented a competitor from attacking him by holding a baby in front of him, then the females deposed him from power.

janesixposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Very cool things about animals and language I didn't know.

And you are so right on animal morality. Anyone who has a dog can testify to that, it is plain to see.

1. psycheskinner profile image83

The excessive chicken examples are because I used to study chicken behavior.  Then I decided it was time to get a real job.  But chickens are more interesting than many people might think.

3. profile image57
      Marc Lambertposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Mental Modelling is the big one post 2.5 mya we were just like animals acting on instinct mental modelling allowed us to plan ahead imagine good and evil and get way out of balance, animals are a lot more balanced than us we need to re balance.
      See my hub God is Goodness

I read your Hub. It seemed to have some ideas similar to my own, but it was unclear. Or I at least had trouble understanding it. Still interesting, and seems to be in a general direction of my line of thinking. Such as the idea that a sense of right and wrong are inherent (if that is what you meant)

2. psycheskinner profile image83

What do you mean by mental modelling?  Animals can plan for the future.  They can problem solve through insight.  They can make use tools. Animals can learn by observing others.  There is no specific mental ability that some animal cannot do to some extent. I have yet to meet anyone who has studies the behavior of animals closely that has not come to this same conclusion.  Humans differ only on the degree to which we can work with abstract concepts.

1. Melissa A Smith profile image96

It's hard for me to imagine what the mental state of an animal must be like. Why is it that some animals can 'make tools', such as perhaps crudely sharpening a rock to make it into a better smashing tool, but they can't take it one tiny step further, such as maybe attaching that rock to a stick and creating a hammer/ax or something like that, even with human guidance. Something so obvious and trivial to us would be a huge mental leap for a non-human ape or any other animal deemed closest to use in intelligence. What I can't understand is why they can have a tool-making concept yet it is so limited. Humans seem to have endless mental ability, short of super powers.

I wish I knew that too. I think the answer is to be found in what exactly caused the mental leap.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

Human are animals.  And in terms of psychology the difference is in degree rather than type.

A human has better abstract language ability, but a chicken has a better visual memory than most humans. We aren't best at everything.

Now that's interesting about the chicken.  And what would you classify the bee's ability to remember spatial distances and directions, as well as communicate the information to others?  Few people could do it, if any.

That is weird. Do you have any ideas how bees do that?

They're just naturally smarter than we are? smile

No I don't.

3. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 10 years ago

My favorite quote on this subject comes from Dan Aykroyd as Sgt. Joe Friday in the movie "Dragnet" (1987):

"There are two things that separate us from the animals. One, we use cutlery. Two, we're able to suppress our sexual urges when we need to. Now maybe you're an exception, Mister... but don't drag me down into your private hell."

4. profile image0
    Beth37posted 10 years ago

Humans talk.
    Humans don't pee on the carpet.
    Humans drive cars.
    Humans earn a paycheck.
    Humans invent things.
    Humans have Hubpages accounts... well the majority of us are human here.

1. EncephaloiDead profile image55
      EncephaloiDeadposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Humans couldn't do those things unless they were taught to do them. In other words, your examples are linked to humans having a more evolved intelligence than other animals. Other animals have more evolved traits than humans and each other, yet we are all still animals.

1. profile image0
        Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Happy valentines day.

Is that a new pic for your avatar? So cute:)

1. profile image0

I haven't been blond since '10 maybe... Im a redhead now and I really like it. Thanks a lot though, Jane. Kind of you to say. smile

2. janesix profile image60

Who taught them?

Good answer.

2. EncephaloiDead profile image55

Uh, other people, obviously.

1. profile image0

The original people were taught by robots.

Uh, no, they were taught by other people. That's usually how things work, children are taught by adults and then they grow up and teach other children.

Did you not know that?

1. profile image0

No, I did not know that. I thought robots were responsible. I blame Will Smith.

It truly is amazing what one can learn when they put the Bible down to see what really goes on in the world.

1. profile image0

Sharing biblical truth is my gift to you cause I love you, 'member? smile

1 John 4:7-8 
                    Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God, and whoever loves has been born of God and knows God.  Anyone who does not love does not know God, because God is love.

2. janesix profile image60

Your use of logic is astounding.

I won't even attempt to explain to you why I'm trying not to laugh right now.

That's because you can't explain.

Sure I can.

I could explain both why I'm trying not to laugh, and why you're logic is totally off.

Would you like me to?

Be my guest.

This: Who taught the people who taught the people?

5. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 10 years ago

You obviously travel in different social circles than I.

1. profile image0

lol... I'm hoping this was exclusive to your college days.

6. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
    Kathryn L Hillposted 10 years ago

Humans have more complex brains and free will. Other than that I'm not sure… Animals may actually be more in touch with their hearts than humans, due to their smaller brains. Elephants exhibit a lot of heart/feelings. Do they also have large brains?
    I think we are talking about brain capacity. And that is a very interesting discussion. Our brains have more potential than we even utilize/realize… have humans devolved? I think so.

I'm not even sure where I'm trying to go with this question (how humans are different from animals). I'm not sure what exactly it is I'm trying to figure out. I think maybe that if I can isolate something that is purely unique to humans, then I can think about it and have that point me in the direction of a possible "purpose".

7. abigail33 profile image61
    abigail33posted 10 years ago

From a biblical standpoint humans are made in the image of God, and this cannot be said for any other creation including animals.

8. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

IMHO fully grammatical language including written langauge is probably the leap point.  It means any small advance any person makes can be shared with all other living humans within that verbal community (which is currently most of the planet).  In theory than means any person can walk to the edge of pure innovation and add their contribution.

I suspect that any person cut off from the verbal community at a young age would not invent the hammer or the spear or very much of anything.  It only seems obvious to us now because it is an invention we learn about when we are still basically babies. We are tall only because we stand on the shoulders of giants (all collective previous generations of inventions).

An animal can say 'I love you' or 'I think I saw a snake' or 'the orchid pollen is 23 meter north north west' or 'wash you potatoes in salt water' but no animal we know of can say can say 'this is how you build a plow'.

I disagree...even without a more experienced human to guide us we can conjure up innovations that would be astounding to see a chimp or dolphin comprehend. Humans basically lost a lot of strength and other physical features because making tools is such an important part of our lives. Cooking has also rendered us less tolerant to raw meat. I think any human, without social learning, can invent simple tools and enhance them beyond the capabilities of a chimp easily. Making tools like cars and planes is something that preexisting knowledge is required for.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)