Glitch in the new Amazon program?

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (14 posts)
  1. wilderness profile image94
    wildernessposted 10 years ago

Just a report of a possible glitch in the new program.  I signed up, I think, on the 16th of the month, and the 17th shows two shipments.  The 18th also shows a shipment, so the system is working.

The 18th also shows a sale, and shipment of that sale, in my Amazon account - something that should have gone to the HP program.  I watch the Amazon numbers pretty closely, and while there are still two sales there that have not shipped that particular item was NOT ordered (sold) prior to the 18th.  At least Amazon did not list it in the "sales" section.

So is it possible that one slipped through somehow, but no more should?  Or is it a true glitch that will repeat itself?

1. Glenn Stok profile image98
      Glenn Stokposted 10 years agoin reply to this

If you are sure that the order was not made prior to the switch, I would guess that Amazon might have had a delay in reporting. There is also the possibility that someone had saved the URL (which contained your Amazon ID) and used that to go back to order. I have seen crazier things happen. smile

wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, they might have bookmarked the URL to come back the next day or something.  I've double checked the date Amazon says it was ordered and it agrees with my memory; it did not happen before I joined the program here.  I had two sales, without shipments, that DID happen that way and one has since shipped, but this single incident was different.

1. Matthew Meyer profile image72
          Matthew Meyerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

We are unaware of any issues with sales being recorded for the Amazon program, but please let us know if you find anything.

2. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
      pauldeedsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I believe as long as the product is added to someone's cart during the 24 hour "Session" after they click your link, then they have 89 days to actually follow through and purchase it.  I'm guessing that's what happened in your case.  See the section 7 of the operating agreement if you want to study up more on it yourself.  There are a number of exceptions and special cases.

That's a possibility: I believe an Amazon "Order" is placed when paid for, not when it's put in the cart.  Putting it there may well reserve my code until payment is made. 

Good thought, Paul - I'll keep an eye on it for a week or so and see if any others pop up.

2. wilderness profile image94
    wildernessposted 10 years ago

Well, I've got another shipment today on my Amazon account.  Ordered Monday, shipped today, although I joined the HP program well over a week ago.

Is anyone else seeing this, or is it just me?

I find it rare that orders ship the same day. Usually the next day. But I also see orders that come in late Friday, or on weekends, sometimes don't ship until Monday if its a third-party order. Those that are listed as "fulfillment by Amazon" ship quicker.

Funny you ask about this, because I have an order listed from last week that never shipped yet. I can see the unit price since that shows in the order report. But I don't know what item it is since that only shows up in the earnings report when it ships. I'm assuming it must be one of those third-party deals, probably not a good one. That's why Amazon asks buyers for their feedback on how long things took to ship.

You miss the point; according to Amazon both of these were ordered AFTER joining the HP program.  That they shipped, and I was paid for them, after the program is expected: I still have one that hasn't shipped, too.

It's that both have now been ordered (according to Amazon) when that order should have gone to HP.  Paul suggested a possible answer, but it's now happened twice - 1/4 of the orders since joint the program have been credited to my amazon account, not the HP one.  Just wondering if anyone else is seeing this.

I did miss the point, thanks for bringing that to my attention. Just read the prior posts and Paul's post. I did have it happen once, the day after I switched to HP's Amazon. I assumed it had to be just as Paul mentioned. That the order was placed while the cookie was active.

If it happens well after the 24 hour cookie expiration, the buyer may have saved the URL that had your own Amazon code.

I have two codes that I use under my Amazon account. One for my business site and one for HP (which I no longer use now after the switch). That's how I knew that I got one more order after the switch.

Here's a thought - do you by any chance have text links that have your own ID? That might explain it if you are still getting clicks.

Nope - no text links and no other sites with amazon ads.  Just HP and capsules.

Is it consistent? Are you still getting 1/4 of the orders on your own account now that you've been with HP for about 12 days? Are you seeing clicks on your own account in the last day?

Now, that's a good question, and may answer the whole thing.  Although I've had two sales, and two shipments, to my own account since switching over, there have been zero clicks.  Unlikely as it is, it must be something like saving the URL or putting it in the cart but not paying for a week or so.

Or somehow the click is going to HP but the sale to me.  Hard to imagine that happening.

And the 1/4 was total since switching on the 17th.  I don't make that many sales - less than one per day.

I think you hit upon it. Two people put something in the cart before you switched. Or one person put two things in the cart. That seems more likely. Then they checked out and paid a few days later. As Paul said, they have 89 days to pay and you still get credit, as long as they put it in their cart within 24 hours after clicking on your ad.

There's no way I know of that the click can go to your HP ID and the sale to your old ID, or visa versa. Once it's in one account, it completes in that account.

You started a few days later than I did. I've been with HP now for 12 days and in that time I can see the average clicks and sales is about the same as it was before. I'm glad I was using two IDs before or else I wouldn't have been able to determine that, since I still have activity on my own Amazon account from my business site.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)