Ok, what really happens here?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (13 posts)
  1. God shet profile image60
    God shetposted 9 years ago

Tell me, because I'm clueless as to where to start it all from. How much money and success people get from this site? I hope I'm not wasting my soldier time doing this internet thingy!

1. Jodah profile image90
      Jodahposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi God shet, yes read the tutorials and as many other hubs as you can for ideas of what works. You can write about almost anything but there are certain guidelines to make your hubs more successful. It is good to leave comments on other's hubs and follow people, then they will usually follow you back and build your audience.

God shetposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks.

2. stuff4kids profile image60
      stuff4kidsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi God shet.

You're here primarily to make money. Okay, the potential is there but it depends how much money you want, how fast and what you are prepared to do for it.

There are NO instant returns here. None. For writers who have a good enough command of the English language, a willingness to study and learn and a determination to see it through in the long term, then the time spent here can be - in fact almost certainly will be - an investment in future earnings.

You can expect to be productive in learning and writing and publishing here for at least one year before you see any financial return. After that point, if your work is good enough and you pay attention to the requirements of Hubpages and the search engines, you will start to see income. Keep at it, striving always to create better, media-rich, searched content and you will see an exponential rise in traffic and then income during the second year.

Those who make a significant portion of their living/healthy second income here have mostly been working hard at it for  between three to five years. That's the kind of time-scale you are talking about.

For me that makes perfect sense - because if you 'do your homework' and you write smart, that then becomes a long term, residual income which continues. In the end, a single article that you might have sold once at pro rates will earn you many times the fee during its lifetime on Hubpages.

You don't need to use the forums, socialize or follow-back mindlessly to make money. The social side of the site is great for many folk but it's not for everyone - although you should always try to be a good community member. But there are quite a few Hubbers making the money they want by beavering away at writing and publishing research-based articles of very high quality who never engage with the community.

My advice would be to take all the time you need to study and understand everything in the Learning Center. That will show you what Hubpages sees itself as being and what kind of writers it wants to attract and, if you can be that kind of writer, everything you need to know to make a success.

Just remember, it's a long-term investment. 5 years minimum. If you are happy with that - then welcome and good luck!

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

+1

I think a year or two is enough to start seeing rewards, though.

3. Rochelle Frank profile image90
      Rochelle Frankposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It will feel like you are wasting your time for quite awhile. As others have noted, it can be a long term investment of time for only a little money-- but it sure beats mindless video games. I think "Stuff4kids" gave an excellent answer.

Look around at some of the things posted here, perhaps you will be inspired to write from your own experience.
      Welcome to HubPages....
      ... and thank you for serving your country.

2. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 9 years ago

You probably want to start here, http://hubpages.com/help-wizard/

As for money and success, that's all dependent on your own efforts and skills.

I see. Btw, thanks for the support.

3. LongTimeMother profile image92
    LongTimeMotherposted 9 years ago

If you were to write about your 'soldier time' in articles that attract traffic from search engines, you'd probably be successful at making money. Takes a while to get established though so don't be discouraged in the early months. smile

Hi! Thanks - and that was great :-)

4. profile image0
    hlwarposted 9 years ago

I've been a member for over two years, and while I'm no expert on the subject, I think those that have the biggest financial success are those that understand SEO and back-linking, and how to self-market your articles via social media. You also have to update regularly and commit time to the forums and followings here.

Unfortunately, I'm not one of those. I also don't write articles often; not to mention I write about topics no one else is interested in. So I only make about $2 a month with HubPages.

I have made some good friends though, and the community is helpful and nice. If you're looking for a support system and socializing, this is a decent site to have some fun. smile

Money and success, I'd go elsewhere. hmm

5. starme77 profile image77
    starme77posted 9 years ago

Go read some articles on SEO from the writerfox here on Hubpages, lots of information on understanding SEO there smile

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes, there is a lot of information there - but I'd say, too much for a newbie.  I'd recommend getting used to the HubPages platform and how it works, writing on subjects you enjoy, and then once you're confident with that, start researching SEO and self-promotion.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)