Old Testament Law

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (28 posts)
  1. AshtonFirefly profile image69
    AshtonFireflyposted 9 years ago

I was recently having a discussion with someone about OT law in the Bible, and how it relates to the NT approach to God. It got kinda confusing, so I thought I would present the question here.

My disclaimer: I'm not a Christian. I'm directing this question at Christians. Not to ridicule, but to understand. Alot of my contempt for the Christian God is based on OT law. So i thought I'd try to understand it better. I know alot about the words used and how they're translated, but I have no idea on the prevalent religious theories on how they do or do not contradict each other and what it all means.

Help please? Please no religion bashers. I really want to know what Christians have to say about this.

1. kess profile image60
      kessposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It is easy to understand....

God only has one law.

Because man's tendency is to violate that law, that one law became 10 and the 10 many.

Now if you look at the many or even the 10 and interpret them from the context of the first, you will not see any contradictions or we may say the contradictions that do appear are merely superficial.

But if you take your eyes of that one law which unites everything,  you then would only focus on the thing which cause division. Division take the one and makes it many.

This in itself is the cause of the multiplicity of laws and their apparent non ending contradictions.

So what is seen is dependant entirely on the individual's point of focus....
      So they will either see unity or division.

1. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Out of the billions of Christians out there, you seem to be the only one claiming God only has one law.  Would you care to be more specific, and let the rest of humanity in on the secret?

1. kess profile image60

What do you care about most?
          Becoming Christian our enlightening humanity?

I am convinced that the latter is true and for that they already have you.

Maybe if you were not so hung up on Christianity, you would have known the law of God.

But I already know the law of God - it is the one almost universally quoted whether Christian, Muslim, Buddhist, atheist or something else.

I just wondered if YOU do.

1. kess profile image60

Seems like you forgot you called me christian... among a few other things

If you deny that Jesus Christ was a supernatural being, a god of one kind or another, I sincerely apologize and ask forgiveness. 

But if not, it would seem that, as a Christian believing in Christ, you should at least think you know God's One True Law - you did bring it up, after all.

1. kess profile image60

Astounding arrogance ...

defining and redefining christianity..
                  Classifying who is and isn't christian based on your definitions....

...and such cocky assurance concerning who should know what....

You must be that great dispenser of knowledge,  who requires of me to give account for that which you have bestowed.

1. EncephaloiDead profile image54
                    EncephaloiDeadposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Pot. Kettle.

You make a claim there is only one law from God, others ask you politely to explain and you respond with exactly the same thing you accuse others; arrogance, cocky assurance, great dispenser of knowledge, etc.

Can we conclude that is the law of God? If so, we want nothing to do with it if that is the kind of behavior it demonstrates.

2. wilderness profile image95

Chris·tian
                    ˈkrisCHən/
                    adjective
                    of, relating to, or professing Christianity or its teachings.
                    "the Christian Church"
                    having or showing qualities associated with Christians, especially those of decency, kindness, and fairness.
                    noun
                    noun: Christian; plural noun: Christians
                    a person who has received Christian baptism or is a believer in Jesus Christ and his teachings.

Not my definition, but dictionary.  Someone who is a believer in Jesus Christ.  Or do you wish, in great arrogance, to redefine it and make up your own definition?

If you don't know God's one law, don't say there is one.  Simple, right?

Perhaps I am the great dispenser of knowledge - certainly you are failing miserably at it...

2. AshtonFirefly profile image69
        AshtonFireflyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

What is the one law?

1. kess profile image60

it is for you to discern

That doesn't make sense. Could you elaborate?

2. bBerean profile image61
      bBereanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Ashton,  out of consideration of a well worded, sincere OP, I reluctantly chime in.  Reluctantly because I have neither the time nor inclination to embark on a detailed examination of OT law.  I will offer my perspective in the hopes it proves useful to you. 

Primarily, the law now refers to that which God has written on everyone's hearts, (figuratively of course), meaning we all have a conscience.  People have varying degrees of success ignoring, searing or distorting this, which accounts for the inconsistencies we see, but does not negate our accountability for following that law.   It is summed up in the two commandments Jesus said were above all. 

Israel was set apart by God, and it was to be obvious to the world they were different through the rules and culture outlined in the old testament.  There were also practical components, to benefit their society directly.  Some rules for example, related to hygiene, (when nothing was known of the need for it otherwise), spared the Israelites from sickness. 

In either case, as well as a guide, the law was intended as a schoolmaster, teaching and showing how we fall short of God's standard.  Without seeing a need, nobody seeks a remedy.  Many try hard not to see it, but for the rest it is a first step.  Both "laws" show us our need for a savior, as nobody ever has been, or ever will be, justified by the law.  Only Christ was able to fulfill it.   OT law, (never required of the Gentiles), is not required at all post Christ, but there is much redundancy between it and the law we all know. 

Although a simple overview, I hadn't seen these points voiced yet, so I hope this helps.  If you want verses supporting any of my assertions, let me know and I can provide them when I have more time this evening.

3. oceansnsunsets profile image85
      oceansnsunsetsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

This is a great question and my general answer is to approach the laws of the Old Testament is to look at how Jesus addressed them (or not) as he was accused a lot or try to be entrapped by the old laws.  He had some very interesting thoughts, which came a bit of time later that sheds a lot of light on how even in the first century, a lot of the older laws were kind of left in their place, to be fulfilled by something much better, and simpler, something that could really get the "job" done, so to speak. 

The Old Testament laws showed man's frailty, inability to keep them, I think they were meant to point to something else that was better, and that was Jesus. 

Besides that general idea, some were very cultural for that people and time, and a few are still good for today like do not murder, etc. 

Jesus took them all and boiled them down to two basic ones that if kept, fulfilled all the laws and the prophets.  That is, loving God with all your heart soul and mind, and loving your neighbor as yourself.  As a Christian myself, I have no need to look to the old laws but see them in the context they were in/for. 

So bottom line for me, any debate on the topic can be settled in my eyes with the words of Jesus, another form of revelation from god, the best kind, in my opinion.

What do you think about the punishments for certain crimes in the OT? I know a lot of people, including myself, find the OT death penalties to be biased (men received lesser sentences than women) and sometimes harsh? (someone who dishonored their parents was killed) Do you think that these punishments were also cultural? Do you think they were issued from God or man?

And most importantly, do you want to answer a bazillion questions because I definitely just overloaded you with them....? hmm

1. oceansnsunsets profile image85
          oceansnsunsetsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It was never anything like the Old Testament laws that drew me to believe in Jesus or agree with his ideas and philosoph.  It was Jesus, and what he said and did.  This is why I am a Christian.  I truly think Jesus got it right.

As for the Old Testament laws, I think many of them are awful, if I am honest.  I don't feel any need to defend them if someone thought they were biased or wrong.  I think a lot of the OT that is judged so harshly, is recording a people and their rules for themselves in their time in history, sometimes from God, for them in particular.   Some seem like they still might apply today, and are much broader like do not murder.  So it depends.  To some of the laws, I won't have answers, as I think they are better answered by people that follow Judaism.  Recently, to help give some perspective to someone, I did a google search about a belief they hold about Christians today and the OT views on slavery.  I used the words of a Rabbi to answer, which showed that even people of Judaism didn't agree with the belief an atheist held about God and the Bible. It was a genuine confusion on the topic, a misunderstanding.

But if I don't know, I will tell you, in regards to your questions, and I will sometimes be the same way, with a bazillion questions! I hear you there. smile

2. Kathryn L Hill profile image78
    Kathryn L Hillposted 9 years ago

The Golden Rule: Do unto others as you would do unto you and love God with your whole body, soul, and mind. It is indeed universal. So, no more arguing, guys!

1. profile image0
      Rad Manposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You listed two rules. He said there is one, which one of your rules do you think he was talking about?

3. profile image57
    Carolyn Newbernposted 9 years ago

The simplest way to understand it is this. There are 3 types of laws--judicial-the laws of the land.  Moral--dealing with how people are to behave. and sacrificial--the offering of sacrifices for sins.  When Jesus died on the cross, we no longer had to offer sacrifices like they did in the OT because JEsus fulfilled that law.  Judicial laws are still in place but they change according to the times.  The frustration is usually over moral laws.  People ask do the Ten commandments still stand.  They do.  Jesus referred to them in the Two Great Commandments.  Love God with all of your heart, soul, and might (that covered the first 4 Commandments). I call them the God commandments, The second one is to love your neighbor as yourself.  That covered the last six. (the people commandments).  So the laws are now based on love.  IF we love God with every ounce of our being and love other people, we would never hurt anyone, hate anyone, covet, kill, steal, etc.
    The moral laws didn't actually change, it just takes the love of God in us to adhere to them.

4. Cgenaea profile image61
    Cgenaeaposted 9 years ago

The OT laws were purposeful. Jesus explained most of it.
    I don't remember him addressing the chauvinism injections; so that makes me feel like it was not that big an issue for him.
    The bible says that he freed the captive. Though I feel like it refers mostly to captivated mindsets; chauvinism can be just that, depending on the lens you look through.
    If you think about it, humans are divided on many topics. Scientists disagree within their circles. Who wins? Preachers disagree. Teachers; police officers, politicians. How will a single mind/oneness occur? Who should be the decision maker?
    It makes sense to me that there is only one true moral code. People cannot come together and totally agree on a thing. Jesus gave us that truth, according to my bible. The New testament is the part where Jesus is. There is pardon, cleansing, more pardon,  love (real love not the flimsy stuff we see on tv), peace,  rest and life. The New Testament.  NT.
    Newnewnew.
    The Lord made a new covenant with his people and extended his gift to all who will come. 
    The OT seems to be a point of reference for the non-believer on a really consistent basis. I very rarely hear Jesus quotes.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)