Was the Law nailed to the cross when Jesus died?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (44 posts)
  1. renegadetory profile image58
    renegadetoryposted 11 years ago

Was the Law nailed to the cross when Jesus died?

Many Christians believe that the Law is done away with or nailed to the cross.  Do you believe this and why?

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 11 years ago

The Old Covenant is NOT the same as the Ten Commandments as it is an agreement; commandments are laws or terms OF the agreement. The Ten Commandments are the words [terms, Jewish Publication Society translation] of the contract NOT the contract itself (Exodus 34:27-28). The agreement became obsolete, and not necessarily the laws within it. That said, certain specific parts of Old Testament law are specifically referred to in the New Testament as no longer necessary. For example, Hebrews 10:9-18 shows Christ's sacrifice made animal sacrifices at the temple no longer required.

God wants us to have a relationship with Him. Obeying His laws is fundamental to that relationship. The way God has communicated His laws has varied, but the laws remain the same. He related His laws verbally to the patriarchs (see Genesis 26:5 where God said Abraham obeyed his voice). To Israel, God wrote His laws on stones and in the book of the law. Today, God writes His laws on the minds and hearts of man.

The New Covenant provides the motivation to obey His laws, extends forgiveness when we don't, and results in an intimate relationship with God for all eternity.

1. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 11 years agoin reply to this

@ celafoe... You completely misunderstood my comment. I do not believe we are under old law. We are under the new covenant since the sacrifice of our savior Jesus Christ.

2. celafoe profile image53
      celafoeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Jesus is God of the here and now and He only has 2 laws.   your 1st paragraph is double talk-- not scriptural.   Scripture say if you keep 1 you are obligated to keep ALL of them- do you?

3. profile image0

You have misunderstood me my friend.

4. renegadetory profile image58
      renegadetoryposted 11 years agoin reply to this

J, was this passage from the OT or the NT?

"And the Lord your God will circumcise your heart and the heart of your descendants, to love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul, that you may live."

5. profile image0

Renegade..... Read my comment again.

6. renegadetory profile image58

That doesn't answer my question J.

7. profile image0

I answered your question and the comment wasn't approved?? It is OT OF COURSE Deuteronomy 30:6

8. renegadetory profile image58

I have approved of all your comments J, I was not home yesterday to go on my computer because I was in the emergency room in the hospital all day.  I am home now.

9. profile image0

I'm so sorry! I hope everything is okay. God bless you!!

3. Pool Of Thoughts profile image60
    Pool Of Thoughtsposted 11 years ago

The Law was fulfilled in Christ. The very fist place you see the word in the New Testament Jesus is saying this, (paraphrasing here) "Think not that I am come to destroy the law, but to fulfill it" Its in Matthew but the exact chapter and verse escapes me now. If we are in Christ, we are not under the curse of the Law.
    The next question should be, "Am I truly in Christ?"
    If one repents and confesses Jesus Christ as their Lord and Saviour and then uses this as a license to go commit adultery, cheat, steal, lie, and all other manner of fleshly desires, it shows that they were never in Christ to begin with. We'll still make mistakes as a Christian, but our heart's desire is to please Him.
    It shouldn't be, "Hallelujah, Praise God, I'm saved. Now it don't condemn me to drink, smoke, or run around anymore. So happy I'm saved!"  That's an example of a deceived person. 
    Sorry, I don't mean to sound like a know it all, but that's the Truth. Yes, if you are in Christ then you have the law of Christ in your heart. You are no longer under the keeping of ordinances, new moons, sabbaths, etc. These were all shadows and types of what was to come...The Holy Ghost. When you receive the Holy Ghost, you rest from all your works. It's no longer you that lives, but Christ in You (That's who the Holy Ghost is)

1. profile image0

@Renegade Deuteronomy 30:6

2. Pool Of Thoughts profile image60
      Pool Of Thoughtsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

7     †     But if the ministration of death, written and engraven in stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not stedfastly behold the face of Moses for the glory of his countenance; which glory was to be done away:

II CORINTHIA

4. Lady Guinevere profile image65
    Lady Guinevereposted 11 years ago

Not it wasn't.  Jesus put all those laws into the hearts and minds of all.  Therefore we have them already and we know them already: 
    Hebrews 8:9-11
    Young's Literal Translation (YLT)
    9 not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers, in the day of My taking [them] by their hand, to bring them out of the land of Egypt -- because they did not remain in My covenant, and I did not regard them, saith the Lord, --
    10 because this [is] the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel, after those days, saith the Lord, giving My laws into their mind, and upon their hearts I will write them, and I will be to them for a God, and they shall be to Me for a people;
    11 and they shall not teach each his neighbour, and each his brother, saying, Know thou the Lord, because they shall all know Me from the small one of them unto the great one of them,

1. celafoe profile image53

there are 2 laws given by jesus  and all others are within them.  But the law of Moses is null and void, having been fulfilled on the cross

2. renegadetory profile image58

It was Moses who told Israel to love the Lord their God with all their heart and all their soul (Deut 30:6), so how could it be done away with?

3. profile image0
      Deborah Sextonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Celafoe, if anyone doesn't understand scripture, obviously it's you.

5. SwordofManticorE profile image70
    SwordofManticorEposted 11 years ago

I believe that the ten commandments and the old covenant are finished. The letter kills, but the spirit of love gives life (2Cor 3:6)

1. TerryK81 profile image60
      TerryK81posted 11 years agoin reply to this

unless we repent and confess our sins, then yes- the letter does kill because in it we are condemned to die. But by accepting Jesus, you accept His death by repenting and living for Him. Romans 8:1, Leviticus 17:11. sacrificial system pointed 2 Jesus

2. SwordofManticorE profile image70
      SwordofManticorEposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Phil 2:10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,
          in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
      11 and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord,
          to the glory of God the Father.

3. profile image0

SOM... What do you think is under the earth? Just curious?

4. SwordofManticorE profile image70

Nickel-iron alloy, platinum, gold, gas, magma. Did I miss anything?

6. celafoe profile image53
    celafoeposted 11 years ago

to jthomp42 and all pastors
    Sorry but NO part of the law in effect today .   Saying that part of it is in effect   is a lie, usually used  so they can keep titheing (another part of the law that was done away with).
    within the law itself it states that it is to remain and nothing can change or do away with until it is fulfilled.    When Jesus died on the cross , upon giving up His spirit , He said it is finished.    He was talking about the law of moses.   The fulfillment of it was the proof of who he is.  And He said earlier that he did not come to do away with the law, He came to FULFILL it, which He did.    When a contract is fulfilled it is complete, and is no longer valid as once it is completed there is no more for it to do.
    In fact new testament scriptures say that one that wants to keep some of the law must keep it ALL.   It also says those that try to keep it are under a curse because they void what Jesus accomplished on the cross and take His place as redeemer from Him.     

read the below by 'pool of thought'  which is correct and acurate

1. profile image0

I totally agree there is no old law. Read my answer again. We are living under the new covenant after the sacrifice of Jesus Christ.

You are on the right track with regard to fulfilling of the Law Cel, but what Christ fulfilled was the death penalty for breaking God's laws.

7. dasho profile image59
    dashoposted 11 years ago

With due respect, I would like to state my own opinion on this subject matter.
    In this day and age everything we say or do is carefully and thoroughly inspected. Everything is considered practicable if in sync with science and the nature.
             So, therefore I do believe that the law is done away with or nailed to the cross. How can you prove that there is god and he is looking upon us? How does the practice of confession work? If one commits a sin that is not so as heinous a crime and later when he goes to the church and confesses all his wrong doings, is he forgiven by the divine power that we so much believe or is he forgiven by the law since he did confess. We can clearly see that our conscience is more or less deprived of the sin we committed but what does the victim feel. Can the victims suffice from our confessions. No, they do not whatsoever.
               So, where and how do you know that there is a higher power? If there is one and if god created the world, why do you think that he would let people suffer and make them live in such miserable conditions all around the developing nations on the planet. Why the indifference? Are we all not equal? Don't we have equal rights over the resources that we believe that the god has created for us?
    Therefore, considering the aforesaid remarks I conclude that Buddhism is the practice, the philosophy that is in sync with the world that we live in today.
              As all the Buddhists' know that everything is in the mind. Our conscience, our subliminal mind, our sub-conscience is what we make of it. That is why meditation that was practiced more than 2500 years ago i.e 600 years before Jesus Christ is now a modern religion in a way. Scientists have now found out what meditation can do though it was practiced 2500 years ago by Lord Buddha.

good for you but as for me and my house we will serve the Lord Jesus Christ(God ).

How do you know for certain there is no higher power?  You can question if there is a God, but can you prove He does not exist?

3. profile image0

According to scripture there is no difference in a small sin and a heinous one, the Law is still broken.
      James 2:10
      For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.

4. Lady Guinevere profile image65
      Lady Guinevereposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Jesus said Who Do You call me.  He did NOT say that HE Was God. If you serve Jesus then you cannot served Paul.  Jesus is WITHIN you so you cannot serve something outside of you.  Only 1 master shall U serve.

5. TerryK81 profile image60
      TerryK81posted 11 years agoin reply to this

there is no forgiveness in the law, for by the law we were condemned. Jesus died for us to save us from eternal death. Romans 8:1 and 1 John 1:9.

8. profile image58
    mfosposted 11 years ago

J Jesus was the sacrificial lamb and the fulfillment of all the laws so that no man should in his or her strength have to focus on the law but the new covenant, a relationship with God and by his grace we would keep the law by following and obeying him

amen

2. profile image0

I totally agree. You have misunderstood what I was saying.

3. renegadetory profile image58

What aspect of the Law did Jesus fulfill?

9. Ericdierker profile image48
    Ericdierkerposted 11 years ago

I really like this question. I try to live under the law. Seems like a good idea. But the law is no longer enforced on my by others. So I like to think that the law is still on the books, but there is no policing or enforcement agency. Before Christ the law was obligatory. Since the great acceptance and forgiveness it is voluntary. There is an expansion of free will. I fail but try to obey the law at all times.
    Here is the problem. Many in religions decide to interpret and enforce the law. They have no authority to do that. Saying such things as "you do that and you go to hell"
    I am afraid those folks have not accepted their freedom from the law, so in fact they are still under it, and therefor.........

10. profile image0
    Deborah Sextonposted 11 years ago

The Law was never done away with.
    Many people think that when Yahshua (Jesus) said he fulfilled the Law he meant he did away with it and that it is no longer in effect.
    Yet in the same scripture where Jesus said he came to fulfill the Law, he also said he did not come to abolish (formally put an end to (a system, practice, or institution) it
    Matthew 5:17 that he "came not to abolish the law but to fulfill it."
    17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
    The translation of "to fulfill" in Hebrew is lekayem  (le-KAI-yem), and means to uphold or establish, as well as to fulfill, or accomplish. In other words, he was teaching and or showing the true intent of that law, and correctly interpreting the word of God. By accomplishing it, he was living it and doing exactly as the word said he would do.
    He brought into reality the things written about him
    Luke 24:44
    And he said unto them, These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me.
    There is another sense of the phrase "fulfill the Law", and it is to carry out a law - to actually do what it says.
    In Matthew 5 Yahshua said that the Law would never pass till all was fulfilled.
    All of God’s words are Law  and we know all his words have not come to pass yet, and will not until the end of time as we know it.

...Anyone who breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. (Matt. 5:19)

1. SwordofManticorE profile image70

What are you talking about. The Greek word for fulfill is "plErOsai", and it also means "to fill". Stick to the orginal text as it was written. You will do anything to kill the title given to Paul as an apostel.

2. Lady Guinevere profile image65
      Lady Guinevereposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Paul was an infiltrator, simple as that.  How do you supposed the Roman's got so many Jews to hang on those crosses?  It was not only Jesus that did but many. Rome's glory.

3. SwordofManticorE profile image70

Lady, are you telling me that you believe that Paul was a false apostel?

4. celafoe profile image53

you clearly do not understand a scripture or contract.   when a contract is fulfilled it is done and has no more validity because there is nothing more for it to do.   your arguement here proves what you are trying to disprove.    foolishness

5. profile image0

Celafoe,
      I don't understand scripture? "It is done", also dos not mean it is abolished no more than "fulfilled" does. When he said he fulfilled the Law, he meant what was spoken of him.
      Luke 24:44
      And he said unto them, These are the words which I s

11. TerryK81 profile image60
    TerryK81posted 11 years ago

No, it was not. When scripture is compared to scripture, one will clearly discover for themselves that the Law is still in effect. Psalms 111:7-9 clearly says that the Law is eternal. In Matthew 22:36-40, Jesus answered a young man's question, revealing to Him the sum of the law: love to God and love to our fellow man. In John 15:10, even Christ kept the Commandments that HE wrote with His own finger.
         However, many claim that the Law was nailed to the cross, by claiming that Romans 6:14 says we are not under the Law. YES! We are not under the PENALTY of the Law due to our breaking it and Jesus dying in our place. The laws that govern the land, guess where the root from? The 10 Commandments. Both our law and the 10 Commandments say not to kill, not to steal, that adultery is wrong. The 10 Commandments are not what was done away with at Christ's crucifixion- it was the sacrificial law, having to do with confession and forgiveness of sins by faith in the then soon coming Redeemer, Jesus Christ. God's Will is the 10 Commandments. Everything He commands us does not at all break any of His Commandments. Jesus says, "Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord,' shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven" (Matthew 7:21). There you go. Christ has not returned back, and no one knows when (Matthew 24:36), so if someone claims they do they're a liar and the truth is not in them (Isaiah 8:20). Jesus said in John 16:7, "Nevertheless I tell you the truth. It is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you; but if I depart, I will send Him to you". The Holy Spirit (the Helper) convicts of sin, and sin is the breaking (transgression) of the Law:
    "Whoever commits sin also commits lawlessness, and sin is lawlessness" (1 John 3:4).  Lawlessness means without the law. Back to the coming of the Holy Spirit; if the Law was done away with at any time, then why the Holy spirit if there was no law? Jesus said He will convict the world of sin (John 16:8) and that He will guide you into all Truth (John 16:13). Also, ever heard of the "Unpardonable Sin"? It is found in Matthew 13:31 "Therefore I say to you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spiritwill not be forgiven men".  The Law is still in effect. If not, then why is Jesus mediating on our behalf in Heaven (1 Timothy 2:5). Unpardonable sin is refusing to repent and confess sins.

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)