Fiat Currenct

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (22 posts)
  1. Val Celestin profile image45
    Val Celestinposted 9 years ago

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/9022555.jpg
    Will you believe me if I were to tell you that money is just a piece of paper that our government uses to manipulate people like you and me? Money is not back by anything but government regulations and that's what make it a fiat currency. Mark my word, this fiat currency will fail and you better get ready before it happens. What have you done to protect yourself against this fiat currency? Put your comments bellow...

1. GA Anderson profile image88
      GA Andersonposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I have a better caption:
      "I am a piece of paper - a symbol of value, an agreed-upon  medium of exchange."

The same caption fits gold.
      http://s1.hubimg.com/u/9025566_f248.jpg
      http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File: … 400_oz.JPG

GA

2. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 9 years ago

If the US currency collapses the only real currency will be canned food and ammo. I am not the type to stock up on either.

1. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Liquor.  Liquor should be valuable, and spices even more so.  Pepper used to be more valuable, pound, for pound, than gold.  I keep a half ton or so on hand in the basement.

1. psycheskinner profile image83
        psycheskinnerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

A breeding supply of guineas pigs, perhaps? I hear they are tasty.

1. wilderness profile image94
          wildernessposted 9 years agoin reply to this

There you go!

2. Val Celestin profile image45
      Val Celestinposted 9 years agoin reply to this

@psycheskinner  the thing is with currency collapse everything gets very expensive if you guys remember a Few years ago when Zimbabwe's currency collapsed, people had to stand in line to buy a loaf of bread that cost thousands. Maybe you need to start stocking up some canned food...

When the currency "collapses" it becomes completely valueless.

Hence my suggestion of adopting the rodent standard.

3. kaiyan717 profile image84
    kaiyan717posted 9 years ago

Fiat currency never works out.  If you do believe there will be a currency collapse, hyper-inflation could be an issue, think Britain when the pound lost world currency or Argentina when it defaulted on their loans.  So pay off debt, don't get anymore.  Own, don't get loans.  Food storage is mentioned and great advice, though some other physical assets are a good idea.  Gold, silver, precious metals will always hold value.  May be a great investment as well.

That's what the gold traders (do we know one of those?) always say.  But there isn't much evidence for it. \

And circling around and starting a thread on this every week or so is essentially spam. 

I think the rule that anything people spam you over is actually a bad deal is probably a better rule.

I don't believe it's a spam @psycheskinner because if it were our government wouldn't be working this hard to keep the price of these metals so low... The way I see it, the more we advance technologically as human the more these precious metals will be needed. That is to say, even if nothing were to happen with the U.S dollar these metals will always hold value.

Its spam to post repeated threads promoting gold when you are financially benefiting from promoting gold trading services.

If you are not an affiliate for 'buypreciousmetals' in some way--you are giving them a lot of out of context backlinks (in picture captions for photos they did not provide etc) for a reason that escapes me.

In fact it looks like you own buypreciousmetals which sells kits to get people started buying gold.... yes?  I think any more 'paper money scare' threads would be reportable as spam....

What are you talking about @psycheskinner??? Nobody is promoting gold to you.... I asked a question and you answered.. You had the choice not to say anything... I don't see how is that a scam neither when I am sharing links to my website when I asked the question.... You have some issue man!! Like for real :-)

2. kaiyan717 profile image84
        kaiyan717posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Question was posed and I gave my opinion.  I do not spam, nor have I ever made a dime on an answer.  You can report someone for spam all you want, however I do not frequent forums for this very reason and my history shows thus.

2. Val Celestin profile image45

Completely agree with you @kaiyan.. I believe these precious metals can be very helpful if that were to happen.

3. GA Anderson profile image88

That fiat currencies never work out is a pretty broad statement, and it is wrong. You point to a couple widely known examples of a currency failure, and there are others, but in the bigger picture that currently, (and in the recent past), all national currencies are fiat currencies - such a small number of failures contradicts your statement.

If you step back from the commonly accepted definition of fiat meaning a currency arbitrarily valued by an issuing entity, (usually a government), an understand that it really means a currency with a value accepted by its users instead.

This concept also applies to commodity-backed currencies - think back to the days of gold-backed currency.  If the public, (currency users), decided gold was no longer the "must-have adornment would it still hold its "perceived," (fiat), value?

Would it matter how rare a commodity was if no one wanted it? What is the real value of gold and silver if not the "fiat" value attributed by its users?

The only real non-fiat currencies are food and water. It is not a "given" that gold, silver, and precious metals, (barring those with irreplaceable uses - if there are any), will "always" hold their value.

GA

1. kaiyan717 profile image84
        kaiyan717posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Gold has many modern uses, we will always need gold because of it's many unique properties. 
        http://geology.com/minerals/gold/uses-of-gold.shtml
        Same with silver
        http://geology.com/articles/uses-of-silver/
        So until we find a way to make electronics, computers, medicines, etc without these precious metals, we will need them and the demand will be there.

If it was priced purely based on utility it would be about 10% of the current price or less.  It is valued on intangible sparkly coolness factor, primarily--like diamonds.

2. GA Anderson profile image88

ummm... yeah like Psycheskinner said...smile

4. Zelkiiro profile image88
    Zelkiiroposted 9 years ago

I have a feeling humanity as a whole will eventually catch up with science fiction and use "credits." All it is is an arbitrary fake-y currency that cuts out the middleman of concrete matter.

Work for 8 hours, earn 1000 credits. Go to store and buy a ham for 3 credits. Fly to Switzerland and buy a whole bundt cake for 5 credits. Plane crashes in Nigeria and you visit a convenience store and buy a TV dinner for 1 credit.

And so on and so forth. It works like money does now, but without that pesky fear of deflation or idiotic notions of localized currency.

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image78
      Kathryn L Hillposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The dollar is an exchange of productivity. Always has been always will be.  I agree, it is all an illusion… But, I hope it is one which remains fairly stable no matter what happens.  A credit is just not a valuable enough illusion.
      IMO

5. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 9 years ago

Thanks to the typo in the thread title, I thought this was a thread about a new model of Fiat automobile, the "Currenct."

Crushing disappointment.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)