All About Indoctrination:

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (31 posts)
  1. Kathryn L Hill profile image78
    Kathryn L Hillposted 9 years ago

It seems some people do not mind indoctrination. Some do. Thoes who do not mind it, seem to inflict it upon others. Some who do mind it, avoid it all costs and protect their children from it.

What is it?
    When and why is it utilized by some...
    And so feared by others?

Kathryn L Hillposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Indoctrination:
      verb
      "teach (a person or group) to accept a set of beliefs uncritically." Dictionary

"Indoctrination is the process of inculcating ideas, attitudes, cognitive strategies or a professional methodology (see doctrine). It is often distinguished from education by the fact that the indoctrinated person is expected not to question or critically examine the doctrine they have learned. As such the term may be used pejoratively, often in the context of education, political opinions, theology or religious dogma. The term is closely linked to socialization; in common discourse, indoctrination is often associated with negative connotations, while socialization refers to cultural or educational learning." Wikipedia

I guess I am really looking for the viable option. Who can explain socialization as mentioned here?

"...while socialization refers to cultural or educational learning." Wikipedia

2. Ericdierker profile image45
      Ericdierkerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Kathryn,
      It was the dawn of commercial Internet. I was a GIS (Global Internet Strategist) It was 1:30 am local time and raining like a waterfall when our DC 10 landed. I was whipped up and taken to a Hotel. We were welcome but unwelcome in this Communist country we had been at war with.
      My twenty meetings and five lectures and five speeches were pre-approved. My message was clear to bring this underdeveloped nation into the brink of this century. Education is Marketing and Marketing is Education. Today the country is part of every international organization of note and thriving in free enterprise. in-Doctrination is sometimes worthy.

But, you were not on a mission to cram it down any ones else's throat or expect anyone to accept the information you were providing without explaining the reasons, whys and wherefores as to how the info would be vital / beneficial!
        Right?

1. Ericdierker profile image45
          Ericdierkerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes and No. The mission was to teach them how to do it in a free society way. Good marketing is both and education and an indoctrination. They can co-exist depending on the receiver.

3. Jerami profile image58
      Jeramiposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Here I go making up definitions ....
        I've always thought there were two basic types of indoctrination.
      1st.    as with a very young child; concerning an issue which the child has no interest in the subject matter or has no opinion what so ever of their own. Having them repeatedly recite as fact something they didn't readily agree with until they believed it to be true.
         Every parent does this in some way shape or form. In many instances this process begins while potty training. Who has not indoctrinated a child concerning running while clutching a knife or fork in their hand.  We indoctrinate our little boys and girls concerning their natural sexual urges.  Who hasn't told a 4 or 5 year old boy to quit playing with themselves.
          point I'm making is that indoctrination upon young minds is a natural occurring process.
      But as the child grows up, instead of calling what we do indoctrination, we call it  influencing then to make better choices. 
        I've had several wife's who attempted to indoctrinate me into bringing them flowers and/or candy or some kind of present on every holiday (real and imagined). She thought it right to do so and I disagreed.
      We never did agree to disagree.
      Being indoctrinated can be a good thing as much as a bad thing. 
        However,   indoctrination done properly never leaves the person feeling mentally tied down but on the launch pad open to new discoveries.
      When the two year old child being properly indoctrinated to never cross the street unattended grows up, they should not be afraid to cross the street without mommy watching.

In summation ...  Indoctrination can be a good thing when we know what it was intended for, and know it wasn't   Written in Stone  Just my opinion.
      serving someone food for thought  can be considered by some to be indoctrination. Planting a seed for thought is the same only in slow motion. Sometimes it takes years before it grows or it doesn't.

2. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

"True beliefs, as long as they remain, are a fine thing and all they do is good, but they are not willing to remain long, and they escape from a man's mind so that they are not worth much until one ties them down by giving an account of the reason why. After they are tied down, in the first place they become knowledge, and then they remain in place. That is why knowledge differs from correct opinion and knowledge differs from correct opinion in being tied down." Socrates in Plato's Meno.
    But he goes on to reason:
    "Correct opinion is …neither inferior to knowledge nor less useful…"

3. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

We, (parents, teachers, pastors, adults in charge, ) can provide children certain truths without indoctrinating them. How is this done?
    1. By not forcing blind acceptance. We must "tie down beliefs" by giving an account of the reason behind them.
    2. By not "cramming it down their throats" We can instruct according to what we believe, offer information and inspire learning.
    3. We can provide options and choices within the environment by way of books, movies and learning materials.
    Right?

4. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

Thank you for not answering. I figured it out myself. I hope this query will help someone. You are welcome.

5. Cgenaea profile image60
    Cgenaeaposted 9 years ago

Indoctrination seems like a four-letter word around here smile
    Since you haven't closed the door of opportunity to chime in; I'm chiming.
    So many feel that it is absolutely wrong to teach ones own child their beliefs. But isn't that what we all do?
    I have so much to say on the subject and if allowed, I'd like to say.
    Gimme a sec. Gotta collect my thoughts.

I've been waiting… thank You!  Perhaps you might like to consider my conclusion and tell me what you think about it?
      Repeating:
      We, (parents, teachers, pastors, adults in charge, ) can provide children certain truths without indoctrinating them. How is this done?

1. By not forcing blind acceptance. We must "tie down beliefs" by giving an account of the reason behind them.
      2. By not "cramming it down their throats" We can instruct according to what we believe, offer information and inspire learning.
      3. We can provide options and choices within the environment by way of books, movies and learning materials.

1. Cgenaea profile image60
        Cgenaeaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

My fathers must have had your list. smile
        My grandma was very lenient with her family. "It don't take all that" was her response to the rules of the Church of God in Christ when i was coming up: no movies, no pants on ur girls, no secular music, no parties with dancing, no make-up, no, no, no.
        You have great points here. Seems familiar. wink

Oh… well, that is a whole other dimension: the dimension of appropriate/ valid boundaries!

Exactly! My grandma was holy. But she was SMART wit it.

6. Cgenaea profile image60

I think everyone knows that I was born going to "service". My parents and grandparents were all devout Christians. They felt they taught us in the way that we should go. And their religion calls upon it.
    However, I was never taught to "blindly accept without questioning." Nor "not to critically examine." What do people think bible study is but question and answer sessions about scripture and our belief system with hows and whys included??? When I came to the table with faith-shaking questions, I received answers. For that part of it where our understanding fails, I have great peace. God knows the answer...
    I have critically examined the words of Jesus over and over again. They check out, in my opinion.
    People assume that since I believe in God (instead of believing in man) I could not have possibly thought this thing over enough to their satisfaction. They assume that critical thoughts about the god I serve undoubtedly lead to the BELIEF that he could not possibly exist under the circumstances we have now. They think they've seen/heard everything.
    But the often heard, "we don't know" from Scientists; is more credible because "at least they've done some thinking for sure. smile
    In my opinion people make a choice regarding what does/doesn't make sense. No one knows how/when the world was constructed. It is ALL imagination and then the formulation of hypothetical inquires;  then tests composed by who knows, machines calibrated by who knows, results gathered and scrutinized by who knows, reports typed out by who knows, then a few names with a lot of letters on the study. We BELIEVE in that process because we are so familiar with...we are so familiar...uh...nevermind.
    I know Jesus. No doubt.
    Indoctrination had nothing to do with it. My questions were answered.

So the above principles were naturally in motion.  You were lucky. You were with people who made sense and treated you with respect. Thank you for a wonderful response.

Thanks. I really had a great bunch of rearers. They "churched me to death" but our home was peaceful. Our bunch was loving and patient ('cept my dad) but he just liked his peace QUIETLY and he REALLY meant that... lol

7. Cgenaea profile image60

A further note Kathryn:
    Is it possible to become secularly indoctrinated? I think we all teach our kids what we think; if by actions alone.
    This phenomenon is about teaching to not question; not critically think. Could, say...an atheist indoctrinate their views.
    Seem highly possible to me.

I would say Indoctrination is taboo for both theism and atheism. I would say the options and choices should be made available for both atheism and... roll the drums…theism. lol

I guess the main point of my question was in consideration of the fact that the last time I had this conversation, indoctrination was not possible for atheist views because people feel as if atheism is not a belief system. But to me, they just BELIEVE the opposite. They state "no way is that God logical"' sounds like belief to me...

I agree. That is all it is. Of course, belief with reason becomes knowledge. And this goes both ways as well!
          Why do we do this Miss C? Because we are spreading our beliefs whch we have reason to believe. We are sharing our *reason* hoping others can partake in the joy true understanding brings.

Love is the reason we do this Miss Kathryn. wink
            The love of God will leave the 99 sheep if just one is trapped in a ditch.
            He said, "tell them..." (and that's another reason). Lol

...either that or we are addicted to the internet… augh!

Yeah, well... wink

8. AshtonFirefly profile image69
    AshtonFireflyposted 9 years ago

Has your attempt to spread your beliefs on the internet been fruitful?

That is an excellent question.  Let me think… I would say positively nn.. ye.. nnn  (I must be honest: I must be honest... )

no.

But, I will tell you something else that is true…
      I learn a lot!  I really do.  And you contribute much, AshtonFiefly, for sure!!

1. AshtonFirefly profile image69
        AshtonFireflyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for being honest. That wasn't a loaded question btw; I was just genuinely curious.

I honestly have never had someone say to me: you know what, you're right! I'm gonna change the way I think! I really don't think it's possible to change people's minds about ANYthing simply through forum discussion.

I think all it does is give people food for thought. And sometimes that's just as effective.

thanks for saying that. That's nice of you.

Critically thinking, I take it that your attempt to spread your NONbelief has not been so fruitful???

1. AshtonFirefly profile image69
            AshtonFireflyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I'm not attempting to spread it.

2. Cgenaea profile image60

For me, tremendously! Thanks!
      I have learned so much. And I have seen much growth. I am so grateful!!! smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)