If it weren't for the Bible...

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (108 posts)
  1. Sed-me profile image80
    Sed-meposted 9 years ago

Could we just design our own God? Could we give Him a personality of our choosing, filling in any blanks we weren't sure of?

Could we say what He does and doesn't approve of? Could we make Him sound angry when He wasn't or unaffected when He was?

Could we say, "In my opinion He..." when we wanted to drive a point home, but had nothing to back up our point?

Could we get emotional and say, "The kind of God I believe in would never..." Could we create a God that did things the way we would do things if *we were God?

And if we did this... would we actually have created an entirely different entity than God Himself? Would we have created a god that made us feel comfortable and fit our individual preferences, breaking the very first commandment?

“You shall have no other gods before me." Ex 20:3

1. AshtonFirefly profile image68
      AshtonFireflyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

People do that even with a Bible.

Sed-meposted 9 years agoin reply to this

So would you say then that they were ignoring the Bible?

No. Interpreting it how ever they please.

The Bible is presented as a moral absolute and yet it is interpreted differently by every single person. How is that different than moral relativity?  It's why there are so many denominations and translations of the Bible. Nobody agrees on what it means, and yet it's presented as the moral standard to live by.

The following example:
          "The Bible is the moral standard," I'm told.
          "Ok, I said, then I'll do this..."
          "No, You're misinterpreting it"
          "But this other Christian person said that it meant this..."
          "No! That other Christian interpreted it wrong!"

HUH??????

If someone came to me with that worry, I would give them this advice:

Pray for guidance from the Spirit when deciphering truth.
            Trust that God will take you where you need to be.
            Read the Bible as a whole and study it. Don't jump around aimlessly.
            Read different commentaries, but see if it lines up with scripture... scripture as a whole, not one or two verses.

However, that would be called being a student of the Bible. If you were to set it aside all together, then my main point about creating your own god to suit you, is still a stumbling block for many.

I see what you're saying, however, my dilemma is this:

Christians say that their Bible is absolute and God is good. So I'm told to read the Bible.

Muslims say that their Qua'ran is absolute and God is good. So I'm told to read the Qu'aran.

Both of you are telling me to do this for the EXACT same reason.

I'm not trying to make a decision between two religions, I'm just  providing a specific example and pointing out how baffling it is to those of us who don't believe, why people are so insistent on us believing them and get confused when we seem unwilling based on their insistence alone. (This statement is not directed at you.)
                In the above situation, would you (generally speaking) recommend that I study the Quaran and hope to find truth and be led to Allah? Or would you prefer that I read the Bible and hope to find truth and be led to God? Of course you would prefer I do the latter, but what makes that decision any different than the other one?

Do you see the problem? Everyone claims to have the answers and claims that if I do not know in my heart that it is true, well, then I'm not looking hard enough. But EVERYbody says that. So...what then? That is my point. It is impossible to really know a truth based simply on someone's insistence that I follow their way of finding it, because everybody's saying the same thing based on the same reasons to find the same God. It's confusing as hell.

1. Prodio profile image61
                Prodioposted 9 years agoin reply to this

"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking (consciousness) we used when we created them."

~ Albert Einstein

That's one of my favorite Einstein quotes. I have no idea how that applied to what I said, but still...

You are my new best friend.

1. Prodio profile image61
                    Prodioposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Glad to have you as a friend. But Einstein is counting on you!

2. profile image0
              Rad Manposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I take it then that all people who
              "Pray for guidance from the Spirit when deciphering truth.
              Trust that God will take you where you need to be.
              Read the Bible as a whole and study it. Don't jump around aimlessly.
              Read different commentaries, but see if it lines up with scripture... scripture as a whole, not one or two verses."

get the very same answers, but yet we still have thousands of very different interpretations.

Indeed we do. I wonder how many kids who take the SAT's answer every question right. I wonder if their advisers would counsel them to just skip the test since most wont ace it.

The pursuit is a worthy one.

1. profile image0

So then you must admit that the Holy Spirit is not involved at all or he would be giving you all the same answers.

I think the Spirit goes where he chooses.
                    Ppl have different motives. Some want God to prove something to them, some just want personal knowledge, some want to feel superior. Motive is everything. God judges the heart.

"The effective prayer of a righteous man can accomplish much."
                    Jms 5:16b

2. flpalermo profile image60
        flpalermoposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You hit the nail right on the head!

2. profile image0
      Emile Rposted 9 years agoin reply to this

What you may be forgetting is that there are two other major religions which follow a 1 God. Then, you have quite a few other religions which recognize one or more. So, if we didn't have the Bible I think we could say that it would be possible to turn to some religion or another to define the concept.

So which religion did you assume I was claiming? Why would you assume I had forgotten any religion's claim on the Bible?

I felt I'd made my focus very clear. It was not, "Why isn't every religion who puts stock in the Bible of the same mind?" It was: "Would we create our own god, left to our own devices?"

Though there are always different perceptions, there can only be one truth. For most, it is a life long journey to come to that knowledge and only when we are "face to face" will all things be clear. But if we discount the truth we are given, our hands are empty. We are then left to create an entity based on hearsay and what sits right with us.

Is God, really God, if we have simply created our version of him? Is any god, God, that we have created?

1. profile image0

Hello? You do realize other religions don't necessarily use the Bible?

My point was that you have a plethora of religions willing to share a vision of God. You say different perceptions but only one truth. I say we can't know truth of that kind. If there is a God, only direct contact with all of the world in the same manner could verify that truth. So, no individual perception gets to claim truth.

I am thinking you might have either misunderstood, or misread my response to you.

3. flpalermo profile image60
      flpalermoposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Read the Hub "Have you Been Called" to consider an answer to your question.

4. profile image0

It's certainly easy to invent a better version of God. Perhaps one that's not jealous and vindictive. The writers of the bible (who millions feel is subjective morality) were a bunch of slave owners who had no respect for women. And it shows in the writing. Do you really think it's morally sound to kill a child for poor behaviour and or choices?

But inventing a better version of God isn't necessary. Morals, what is good and bad can be deduced by a just society.

1. peeples profile image93
        peeplesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

+1

5. oceansnsunsets profile image84
      oceansnsunsetsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

To all your questions, I think yes, we COULD do any of those things.  We might not have much of a reason for doing so however.  If there was no bible, we would have the other things only, that we have at our disposal to learn more about a possible cause/god.  Things like our consciences, nature, the cause and effect we see in history and our universe, and any possible personal interaction and cause and effect we have with such a being.  We couldn't know too much about that being other than what we have could describe of it.

So in this sense, the bible can be helpful to those that consider it something worthy to be considered, which I do.  Especially because of the New Testament and what is tells us about Jesus and the following books that elaborate on what Jesus said, etc.  Also, future prophecy, and as things have unfolded throughout history.  We can check these things.  Not all are convinced, but it is put out there all the same. 

Creating a god other than he is would seem to be a futile thing to me, but it may serve some purpose for some.

1. EncephaloiDead profile image55
        EncephaloiDeadposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Sorry, but our consciences, nature, cause and effect, history and our universe offer no leads and no understanding of any gods, quite the contrary.

Without the Bible, we might have turned to a more scientific view of our world centuries ago and would be far more advanced, civilized, educated, moral and ethical and have far less problems than we do today.

6. EncephaloiDead profile image55
      EncephaloiDeadposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Well said, that is exactly what Christians have done.

Christians have created a god that makes them feel comfortable and fit their individual preferences, that's why they always argue with each other.

2. Zelkiiro profile image87
    Zelkiiroposted 9 years ago

You don't need one. It's a psychological crutch.

3. Sed-me profile image80
    Sed-meposted 9 years ago

If you were to read one of those right now, is there one you feel led to read?

That's not meant to be a leading question. The only right answer is the truth. Seeking God is incredibly important. The Bible says that those who seek, shall find. So, could you read both? Sure. But the Bible claims that it is the word of God, so I would be curious, when you read it, do you feel there is power in the words... in the parables and teachings?

It is God that calls us to Him, so if you hear a call to seek Him, don't sit idle... begin the journey.  Ask God to lead you by His spirit when you read.

That's just it. Is there a God? So should I be asking Him anything?

Interesting. Nobody has asked that before (about which one to read.) I've read both, and they both have the same spirit to them. They both emit the same type of aura and energy. I used to be engaged to a Muslim guy (hence the reference to Islam), and to be honest with you, his arguments and the arguments of Christians both have the same level of legitimacy to me. So...let's assume that the God of the Bible is real, and after alot of effort and study, I choose wrong. Do I pay for that through whatever judgement God gives people who don't believe in Christ? (I don't know if you believe in hell, so I didn't want to automatically throw that word in there.)

Thank you for your kind words. My questions and comments are not meant to be critical; I was genuinely curious on how people of your faith see things.

This is a perfect example of what my point was. I could give you an answer that seemed right to me... tell you what I thought God would do with your situation, but what good would that do you if I was wrong? Therefore, I would take you to the word. These two verses come to mind and I would hope they would be useful in your quest for truth. How could a quest for truth ever be wrong?

Mt 7:7-8
        "Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened.…"

Jn 1:12-13
        "But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, even to those who believe in His name, who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God."

Don't give up your quest. You are doing right to seek out your Maker. God bless you!

2. profile image0

Seeking God is incredibly important. The Bible says so…

The bible says all kinds of immoral and simply bad things.

4. FatFreddysCat profile image92
    FatFreddysCatposted 9 years ago

That's a great idea. My God would be wearing a Ramones t-shirt and a Devo "energy dome" hat and He would have a pitcher of beer in each hand that never runs dry. Hallelujah!

I have heard he can turn water into wine, but this might be a stretch. smile

1. Zelkiiro profile image87
        Zelkiiroposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Turning water into funk is more impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TeUvQdfHfk

God knows your deep love of Sci-Fi my friend. He knows everything about you... he created you and he loves you. Here is a song you will probably hate. It is one of my favorites though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCunuL5 … feature=kp

He loves you Z-man. smile

5. profile image51
    Keukletonposted 9 years ago

The problem with that is that it effectively gives people a free pass to act as morally or immorally as they want. Every criminal would be able to say "i did it because my god says its ok".

Whilst the concept is rather appealing, having your own personal god of your own choosing is pretty cool ill admit, that's not the intended purpose of a god figure. In our world God is used as a platform for teaching morals that benefit everyone and individuals at the same time.

Im not a strong believer myself, im not exactly a devout believer lets just say, but i do think that if religion was taken merely as a platform for teaching us how to be nice to the people around us, all of the people around us i should say, then the world would be a better place. As AshtonFirefly pointed out, interpretation is everything in religion. It is also the major cause of conflict between people, countries and different religions.

All in all, whilst it would be awesome to have a personal god, it defeats the purpose of the system currently in place, however misunderstood and misused it is at present day.

1. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 9 years agoin reply to this

"In our world God is used as a platform for teaching morals that benefit everyone and individuals at the same time."

No it's not - the purpose of a god in our world and time is to fill the coffers of the Shaman, the priesthood.  Were it to teach morals and benefit everyone we wouldn't see such things as the fight over gay marriage, blue laws and the huge numbers of other "victimless" crimes in this country.  Instead, we would see the followers of God acting under the Golden Rule, including allowing others to live the life they wish to instead of demanding that they follow the orders of their god.

Demand? Is this not a free country? Are we not both required to follow the laws of the land? I have no power over you. Do you feel threatened by ppl with different beliefs than you?

1. wilderness profile image96

Explain that to the gays being discriminated against; that the religious are not using their god's orders to persecute them by demanding they live differently that others.

Explain it to those living under Sunday Blue Laws; they they can't buy on Sunday for some hidden reason, not because their god says so. 

Nearly every one of the "victimless crime" laws on our books come straight out of someone's idea of what their god wants others to do.  Yet the religious do not demand that others follow the edicts of their particular god?  I would disagree.

2. wilderness profile image96

And yes, I absolutely feel threatened by people with different beliefs than mine.  Those are the people that took down the twin towers, after all, because their god told them to kill an infidel.

The Taliban has different views than I do as well. You also have different views than I do. We all have different views... you must fear a lot of ppl.

I don't have many demands that I can think of... and I doubt anyone would take them very seriously. I don't know what to tell you about the beer situation other than to buy it on Saturday night.

1. profile image0

Interesting that under Taliban rule only a small percentage of girls can read and the one's who try to learn can be shot in the head and the average life expectancy is around 44. Clearly they are not creating a society of happy people. But they think the rules their God gave them are real and moral.

Beer?  Who said anything about beer?  The "Blue Laws" I assume you are looking deny anyone the ability to buy anything, with perhaps a very few exceptions such as medical care or police protection (apparently the things the law makers want, god also wants them to have).

1. profile image0

I've always found these Sunday rules odd. A while back where I am all stores were closed on Sundays. They can now open at noon on Sundays, but close at 5. Those laws were written because of what the bible says to do on Sundays, but these same people who insist on no shopping for everyone on Sunday if hurt would want a police officer, an ambulance, a nurse and doctor to be working.

1. profile image0

So, you don't think anyone should think emergency personnel should be available?

1. profile image0

Ha ha ha ha… What? How did you ever get that? I think and hope you were kidding.

My point is that religious people forced laws preventing malls from being open on Sunday and yet those same people expect police officers, and health care practitioners to be working and available on Sundays.

Either God says not to work or He doesn't.  The bible most definitely does NOT say not to work...EXCEPT for medical personnel, police, phramacists, veterinaries, etc.

2. Sed-me profile image80

Yes. And it is an interesting point you bring up. God's teachings of morality are of great benefit to the world as a whole, but when offered the opportunity to have a relationship with the Creator of the universe, why would we sacrifice that for a system of laws?

Laws are good, right? They keep us safe, help us to do the right thing. But that's why God sent His son. He gave us laws first, but our human bent leads us into religiosity. We became fervent about following the letter of each law to the point of choking out the actual relationship with God, then Jesus comes and says... 'I'm here to fulfill the law.' The law is all about relationship. Take the 10 commandments. It's about loving God, loving your neighbor, treating ppl kindly... Jesus is the bridge to God and he himself said that he was the only bridge to God.

Jn 14:6-7
      "Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me. "If you had known Me, you would have known My Father also; from now on you know Him, and have seen Him.""

1. Castlepaloma profile image76
        Castlepalomaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Everyone is God, poof!!!!

Gee, I feel much better now, no more fighting.

It helps to be an artist

6. LeslieAdrienne profile image70
    LeslieAdrienneposted 9 years ago

Sed-Me, I love how you are asking the questions that cause folks to think about who God is to them. God bless, you!

That means a lot to me, thank you.

2. Castlepaloma profile image76
      Castlepalomaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Can each of us be God and at the same time think one God is is above the millions of other Gods.

If each of us is God,

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)