To people of many interests, how do you narrow your options?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (12 posts)
  1. Niya0413 profile image61
    Niya0413posted 9 years ago

Ok. I'm 21 years old. All my life I have loved art and being creative, I've recently earned my Assoc. in Visual Communications which is an art degree. However, I studied culinary arts in high school and I really loved it (and I still cook often) and I've considered pursuing a degree in that field possibly more towards Pastry arts, but since I was little I wanted to work with animals. I also love music and I wouldn't mind doing something within that career also. I am so conflicted right now that I am physically stuck. I don't know what to do. HELP!? Opinions please.

1. The Examiner-1 profile image61
      The Examiner-1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I think out the question. I write down the different options/choices. On the left I would list all of the pros and cons: such as what would I receive from each; can I make a career of it; do I like/love it; etc.
      After I write everything down then I would go across each row to give them check marks (do they have/not have it). Then I would go down each column to see which column had the most and put a total of the check marks at the bottom.
      If after doing that I was still drawn towards something in particular then I would know by instinct that this was it.

2. krantcents profile image60
      krantcentsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

To be fair, everyone has a lot of interests, but they do not pursue them as a career. At 21, you can try a lot of things and change your mind frequently. If you could only pick one and encompass some of your other interests, which one would it be? I spent 30 years i business and found industries, I liked and (executive) roles I enjoyed. For the last 13 years, I have been teaching and thoroughly enjoy my new role. Over my career, I had about 7 careers which encompassed my interests, skills and experience. I will retire (again) in 2-3 years and expect to keep pursuing my various interests even in retirement.

3. Cardisa profile image89
      Cardisaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Which one do you think about first when you wake up in the morning? Which one do you see yourself doing for the next five to ten years?

I had gone to see my doctor because I was having anxiety attacks and we got to talking about what it was that I really should be doing. He said to me, that thing that you think about first thing in the morning is what you should be doing. The thing that's on your mind as you fall asleep is what you should be doing.

I too had a lot of interests, I still do. However, I filtered through them all and realize there was one that was more prominent on my mind than the others. I love to cook, making jewelry, teaching and martial arts but writing is my first love. The anxiety attacks stopped when I dedicated my time to my true love.

Also, there is no rule that says you can't do more than one. In terms of your degree, make sure it's what you really want to be qualified in.

4. Dustin Poynter profile image60
      Dustin Poynterposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That's a lot of interests you have. I'd write them all out and compare the good and the bad. In big decisions like this, that's what I always do.

2. Suzanne Day profile image93
    Suzanne Dayposted 9 years ago

I'd just go ahead and pick something to try it on and see if it fits. Don't spend too much money obtaining it - you can always do that later once you have made up your mind it is the "one" and you have already enjoyed some success in the field by having a job, or practicing it for awhile first (yes, I have some expensive dud university courses like lots of others). Most of the time you can enter industries through back doors, do volunteer and entry level jobs to get experience and save yourself the money until you need that course. I haven't known what I wanted to do, so I tried lots of things and worked out which ones to cross off my list and settled with the occupation which seemed best suited. It helps to make you a well rounded person by trying more than one thing in life.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image86
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

You do not have to give up any of your interests, but you do have to choose the one among them that will provide you joy in your work and a way to make a livable income.  You should also remember that whichever one you choose to follow as a career is the same one you may be doing when you are older and possibly not as healthy...so include in your choices occupations you can do when you are old as well as when you are young.

3. Pedihealth profile image60
    Pedihealthposted 9 years ago

I have had some many different career endeavours and different interests before I found out what I would actually like. My interest still continue to change even this day. I would love to tell you to do as your heart desires but in real life that may not be practical. What I will tell you to do is "remember that your head is above your heart"or in other words think things through before you invest your time effort and finances into something you later find out was a waste of time. I would suggest taking small classes or volunteering for different organizations to find out if its something you want to do every day of your life. It is ok to be passionate about more than one thing but don't let fear of the unknown paralyse you either.  Life experience is the only real way to figure out what you really love.

4. RockyMountainMom profile image69
    RockyMountainMomposted 9 years ago

The first thing I wondered when you said you recently earned an Associates was whether you felt you were in the right program during your coursework.  Did you feel tugged in any of those other directions as you saw course offerings outside of your major, or heard people talk about majoring in any of those other fields?

I began my undergrad degree at a school without a wildlife program.  I thought I could make due because my scholarship was there.  I majored in zoology and worked through the first two years of studies always feeling like I wasn't quite piecing it together the way I wanted.  I even considered geology briefly, but found myself identifying birds and tracks on even the most engaging geology field trips.  Eventually, I found a way to use my scholarship toward an exchange to university with a wildlife program because that was where my gut was telling me I needed to redirect.

If you didn't feel tugged in different directions while you studied visual arts (and generally felt that you were in the right place), is it possible that the uncertainty of taking the next steps of education or career are making you more nervous about your chosen direction?

It is very possibly that the diversity of you interests shows you picked the right path, since your skill set in the arts can be applied to just about everything you mentioned in one way or another.

You current degree may not get you a paying wildlife job right away, as an example, but conservation groups and even federal agencies that conserve wildlife rely quite a bit on clear communication skills and even social media to promote and facilitate their programs.

It is likely than any steps forward in any of those directions will either show you that you're on the right path or steer you on the right one.

It's exciting and amazing how things come together over time to get you where you need to be.  It's nerve wracking while you're in it, until you're settled enough some day to look back and cherish those early steps.

5. Niya0413 profile image61

Thank you everyone. Your advice has been very insightful and helpful. I have a lot of brainstorming to do. smile

6. Journey * profile image68
    Journey *posted 9 years ago

Hi Niya0413, With all this great advice you've already been given, I just want to wish you the very best. Many of us your age and much older can feel torn with our abundance of interests but it will all fall into place as you move along your path. Congrats on achieving your Associates and good luck with everything!!smile

7. Niya0413 profile image61

Thank you Cardisa and Dustin, your thoughts are very much appreciated. And thank you Journey for the well wishes.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)