Last 3 hubs I've edited, hubscores knocked down 15 points each.

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (37 posts)
  1. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 9 years ago

I guess my hub-updating days are over... My profile score can't stand any further drops, that no-follow links thing ya know... Oh, well.

1. profile image0
      mbuggiehposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I just updated a hub had been rated in the 90s for some time, but recently was struggling to remain at near-70.

The result: An even lower score!

2. kenneth avery profile image79
      kenneth averyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

paradigmsearch . . .on a similar note, I did "some hub-jumping," as HP recommended on the top left of our Earnings Reports page. So when I started, my score was 85, and I did the jumping of hubs and scoring them, and a day later my score dropped to 82. And all the while me publishing two hubs, at least hub a day, seven days a week. Why do you think this happened?
      I guess Matt or Christy at teamhubpages.com will have to ride to the rescue for HP is changing so much, us old timers have a time adjusting. Oh, and how have you been lately?

paradigmsearchposted 9 years agoin reply to this

What with the HOTD thing, yesterday was really great! It was a fantastic way to start the day.

I truly felt loved. big_smile

Now, I'm dreading having to start the following forum thread...

Title: "My subdomain only links to untrustworthy websites and spam affiliates"

Opening Post: "So says HP. Leastwise that’s what they’re telling all the search engines. Yep, my profile score is now at the no-follow-links-84 level."

1. kenneth avery profile image79

paradigmsearch . . .I am on your side here. Was the "Mr. Profile" thing aimed at me?

No. I don't understand. Why would you think that? I must have missed a previous forum post somewhere or something. It was just my way of referring to our profile scores. Hmmm. I'll go change it. Won't make a difference to my message. smile

Update. There, changed it. And as an added bonus, now it clarifies about why 85 is such a critical level. smile

And another update just to be sure there's no misunderstanding.

I'm talking about me in that potential, hypothetical new thread. big_smile

1. kenneth avery profile image79

Hey, paradigmsearch,
                  I apologize for that question. I have no excuse but my nerves being shot. My daughter, 38, with husband and three great kids, is in a hospital in Birmingham, Ala., UAB, with some type of lung infection: URDS, she contracted from acid reflux. Doctors are cleaning the lungs. I don't have a car to go see her. My wife is out there with the son-in-law and oldest granddaughter . . . just an overwhelming thing. I am sorry. I thought you meant me. Keep up the great work.

No apology necessary. You had a concern and so made an inquiry. That is what us wiser folks do. smile

The dingbats are the ones who jump to immediate, irrevocable conclusions and go all out on an immediate, scorched-earth attack. See the religion forums for more info. big_smile big_smile big_smile

2. brakel2 profile image72
                    brakel2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Sorry Kenneth   It is time for better days  Good luck

3. Ericdierker profile image45
      Ericdierkerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It is almost to the point that high scores means you are brown nosing it.

Now I'm really doomed. big_smile

1. Ericdierker profile image45
          Ericdierkerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I am sorry for those who link and get downgraded. But we should start a low scorer club. 1 ban required to join.

4. csmiravite-blogs profile image75
      csmiravite-blogsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I'll still follow you even if you drop to the 70's!   big_smile

writer_csm

I'll take all the love I can get. big_smile

2. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 9 years ago

And it's frustrating that I can't update anymore hubs. One of them I updated is already getting a really decent traffic bump.

3. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 9 years ago

I've been working through a group of Hubs which haven't been edited in about a year, fixing broken stuff, seeing what can get bumped up quality-wise, etc.

I'm not seeing huge drops in the scores of anything edited after having done so.

So, in starting this discussion, what was your goal?  Do you just need to feel better?  Or do you want to debug what's happening with the editing?

Because what I could say next is going to be wildly different depending on where you wanted to go...

I have 12 hubs that are similar in nature. And once a month I update all 12 of them.

I started my updates for this month on the 14th. One or two a day. Same minor changes to all of them.

All proceeded as usual until yesterday. All hubs had hubscores in the 80's, both before and after the updates. Makes sense. After all, they were all the same type hubs and same type minor date-related changes.

And then yesterday and today it all changed. Same type hubs as the previous ones; same type changes as the previous ones. But instead of the latest 3 hubs doing as the same previous ones, they all dropped from the high 80's to the low 70's.

Remember. All 12 hubs and associated updates were similar. It was the perfect, unintended lab experiment.

What's my point? Either HP has suddenly changed the rules. Or HP needs to know there's a new mturk in town. I need to know what's going on and when will it be safe to start updating again.

I wouldn't care about any of this if it wasn't for the profile score thing.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image86
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I am constantly updating hubs and never have had this problem, so I do not understand why others are having issues.  Is it possible that what someone considers upgrading is actually downgrading a hub?

1. relache profile image72
        relacheposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That's what I'm trying to discern, as it's a distinct possibility.

Now... Now... Relache. That was already addressed and resolved in previous posts.  I had assumed some of the others just hadn't read the entire thread, but I know you did. smile

I agree with LeanMan and others. The wrong mturk came along during my last three hubs in the sequence.  I've decided it's no big deal and have moved on. Besides, what with my traffic in the usual summer full crash-and-burn mode, I've got other challenges to deal with. big_smile

4. Kathleen Odenthal profile image89
    Kathleen Odenthalposted 9 years ago

Hubs rise in score over time, when you make an edit, you undo that time and the hub can be knocked down for a short time, but you should see the score rise over the next few days and weeks. Editing hubs is usually a good idea with some exceptions.

5. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 9 years ago

When you say you "update" these regularly, what sort of content changes are happening?  And what percentage of the whole is the edited/new content?

That is one reason why I called this the perfect, unintended lab experiment. big_smile

The answer is the same for the first 5 hubs in a row that stayed in the 80's and the last 3 hubs in a row that got torched down into the 70's.

Follow up.

The only difference between the two groups is the time frames when they were rated.

6. Anamika S profile image67
    Anamika Sposted 9 years ago

My experience is also similar. The scores of all the hubs I updated went down and have not recovered so far. However, there is no change in the traffic levels of the edited hubs.

For those who don't know, Anamika is one of our HubPages elite Hubbers.

She has been here over 6 years.

She has 379 hubs.

Her hubs have had over 10,000,000 visitors.

So what profile score does HP giver her?

Her profile score is 77. And thus, all her links in all her hubs are classified to the search engines as untrustworthy or affiliate spam. That is not right. I give up. I know when I'm beat. I'm tossing this whole issue into the mental trash bin.

If I have to continue trying to get traffic here with the additional handicap of having the search engines being told that I only link to junk, then so be it. It's just the way it is and I have to accept that.

This was an interesting thread.

Postscript to LeanMan. I'd never thought about the Group aspect before. Thanks. smile

Postscript to Eric. There could be fun to be had with that. big_smile

1. relache profile image72
        relacheposted 9 years agoin reply to this

What do you mean by "elite?"  Time spent here, a prolific output and pageviews don't automatically add up to quality or "success."  How many of those nearly 400 Hubs have been (or not been) updated in the last year?  How many of her Hubs are on overdone, spam topics like getting your ex back or Bollywood actresses?  Material that used to be okay on this site isn't anymore, and if you have an account full of questionable-quality topics, it is going to pull you down even if you are trying to make the best spam or auntie Hubs in the world.

What's the engagement on those Hubs?  Do her hubs have a high bounce rate?  If people just look and then leave, it's possible to have 10 million pageviews but not be making a meaningful connection with your readers and not make any money.

"No-follow" attributions just say to not apply any rank from the site with the link to the linked site.  There is no application of a designation of untrust or deceit.  But they aren't rewarding you for your recommendation of another site.

1. LuisEGonzalez profile image77
          LuisEGonzalezposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Paradigmsearch does have a point when referring to  Anamika S. Her hubs are a mix of various topics not all of them about Bollywood etc. plus 10M views. I agree with Paradigmsearch; the profile score thing is something of a mystery and in my humble opinion needs to be done away with.......hmm

7. LeanMan profile image80
    LeanManposted 9 years ago

I tried updating hubs before..... Not doing much any more unless they drop in google's eyes..

Some HP scores went up and some went down... There was no real sense to why some would go up and others would go down when they had had similar types of updates - adding an extra picture or text box etc..

What I did notice however that Groups would move similarly - so if scores on one of my Saudi hubs moved you would almost always see the rest of the hubs in that group move in a similar way..

But I would also see some hubs leap about 15 points with no updates and no traffic fluctuation so I guess it comes down to those great and consistent raters.........

8. Solaras profile image95
    Solarasposted 9 years ago

I had a similar experience with two hubs having 99 scores, and I needed to make some minor updates, grammatical corrections.  After I finished editing them they dropped down to 89 and 90. 

I thought someone is taking revenge in the hub hopper since they can't get a featured hub score lol.  Now that some time has passed the hub scores are creeping back up again to 94 and 96 respectively.

I guess we need to be judicious in our corrections; and just update one per week, and wait on more until the scores on recently updated hubs begin correcting.

9. ChristinS profile image39
    ChristinSposted 9 years ago

I update hubs periodically, just did one today - tweaked the title and the layout a bit and added a bit more information and one additional link to relevant info.  The score jumped up by 5 points in very short order.

I am really curious what specifically those who experience drops are doing to the hubs they are updating.  It might be easier to make suggestions (if they are wanted) if we knew exactly what was being changed.

1. Solaras profile image95
      Solarasposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi Christina - In my case it was correcting grammatical errors.  An immediate drop by 10 points then a slow rise over the ensuing weeks.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)