Not Featured - Quality

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (19 posts)
  1. Dale Hyde profile image80
    Dale Hydeposted 9 years ago

Well, after all these years, well....almost three years, I have been hit with this for my most recent hub...."Not Featured - Quality"....

I am left to wonder about the quality of my other hubs, lol, as I don't just publish garbage.  Well in my opinion anyway.  However, it appears that some standards may have changed.  I reckon I will let it sit there.  I knew there was a reason for almost a year absence from publishing new material here.

Back to putting more material on my blog, and I will probably move this to my blog as well as Google will never see it, so it won't be a problem for duplicate content. 

I sometimes wonder about what makes decisions here.  I had one hub about 18 months ago that was unfeatured here.  It was a hub that on the great WWW there were only three, yes 3, other sites that had information about this on.  It had steady views.  Since moving it to my blog, it is my most highly read article.  Go figure.   This newly "Not Featured - Quality" hub is right along the lines of one of my highest viewed hubs here dealing with troubleshooting that was one of the hubs that HubPro edited. Very similar...again, go figure.

A side note here....since my recent "return" tweaking a few hubs, posting in forums and participating in the HubPro program, the beta version of such, my hubber score has continued to drop.  It appears that if you are active on the site, your score will drop.  Of course we all know that already, lol.  Reason?  Well, I have never figured it out.

1. 2besure profile image79
      2besureposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Dale, just make sure your hubs are at least: 700 words, and that you have 3 pictures and 2 videos.  Once you do this and save you work by the next day they should be feature!

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
        paradigmsearchposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Dale being Dale, the hub was probably already twice that. big_smile

Based on Paul E.'s post, I'm guessing it's just a glitch that Dale helped catch. smile

2. biggirloakland profile image59
    biggirloaklandposted 9 years ago

Sigh...Dale, if it makes you feel better, my first Hub was unpublished for Quality, the morning after I published it.  I was shocked!  And angry too.  I changed a word or two and published it again and it's been published ever since.  I advise you to just revise something small and try again, and give the system such as it is another chance.

I think it's safe to say what whatever makes most decisions here, it's not a leisurely human; it's a Bot.  That seems to be true about initial publishing decisions and about Hubber Scores.  The work here has to be automated or the site would fall apart.

I wish Hubbers could understand that Bots, even excellent ones such as those designed and constantly tweaked by our engineers, must have no part in determining writers' self-esteem.

Does a Bot know me?  Does it know whether I am, or can be, a good writer?  Does it know whether what I have to say is important?  No, how could it?  It's a Bot.

Does it know whether my Hub is likely to make money?  Maybe it can make a prediction that improves over time with new data.  But does it know even that?  No!

Take nothing personally that comes from a Bot.  That's my advice.  Hang up on recorded messages, delete any emails from robots that tell you you are doing a "Great Job," sneer at any evaluation system that says you are a great worker because you used some record low number of paper clips.

Now if some human tells you your work isn't good, you should consider the source maybe, but if a Bot tells you that, don't even remember it.

You know why you write, and why, and for whom.  A Bot does not

1. Millionaire Tips profile image90
      Millionaire Tipsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I think I am going to paste this on my wall. It is a good thing to remember as we see our scores fluctuate.

Dale Hydeposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Lol, I am trying to focus on that.  I dropped three points in a 24 hour period!  Bot attack!

2. Dale Hyde profile image80

I am feeling it is a Bot issue as well.  I have contacted HP staff but not heard back yet.  I would be curious to see what they may see.  Thanks for sharing all the additional information and uplifting words! smile

3. LeslieAdrienne profile image70
    LeslieAdrienneposted 9 years ago

Just brush up your hubs and that will probably make a difference....

4. Kiss andTales profile image59
    Kiss andTalesposted 9 years ago

I have over 50 hubs written ,and one that is and now was featured strangely it was dated as being published yesterday, when it has been ran for a few months with no problems. Now it is not featured. My views were 197, how could that be just being published yesterday. I am not surprise. That is why I do not connect to make money from this sight. I enjoy sharing knowledge . And that is good enough for me.

5. Kiss andTales profile image59

Nice hubs and tips Millionaire !

6. Angela Blair profile image69
    Angela Blairposted 9 years ago

Hi Dale -- although I follow HubPages nearly daily, I've not contributed in quite a while for two reasons. First and foremost a personal loss that I'm dealing with and secondly it appears that the type of writing I do is ill suited to HubPages these days. I'm here today to tell  you -- Bots be damned -- you're not only one of the finest writers on this site and your material is always informative and interesting -- BUT -- anywhere you choose to contribute should consider themselves lucky. You have an unusual gift for imparting knowledge to your readers and I say hats off to you. Best, as always, Sis

Thanks so much for the kind words and the understanding.  Now I have a big head, lol! smile  I am trying to be patient with all of this and see what happens.  It is interesting, to say the least.  I am sorry for your personal loss and hope that soon you are back up and contributing.

7. profile image61
    DJ Andersonposted 9 years ago

Dale, I had my first "Not Featured - Quality", two days ago.  It is the only one I have seen in the, almost two years, I have been posting.  It blew me away.

Additionally, I kept getting really low scores on freshly posted poems.   HP does not have an affinity for poetry as it does not garner the traffic they desire.  I pulled much of
    my work. 

I have come to the conclusion that unless my posts have pictures, polls, and videos,
    live unicorns and butterflies flying out of my a_ _, my work is pretty much useless.

Good luck to you,
    DJ.

8. Kathleen Cochran profile image77
    Kathleen Cochranposted 9 years ago

I've had frequently-viewed hubs un-featured for periods of time.  Try re-writing the headline.  What I've wondered about is frozen hubber scores this summer.  Same activity, same views, same money, but I'm stuck in the mid-80's when I've been in the 90's most of my three years here.  (Even 100 for a while.)  I'm sure there's an R2D2 in a backroom somewhere controlling these things.  I'm not one to pay all that much attention to scores on HP, but I seem to be suffering from a "summer slump" in my score only.  Go figure.

The hub in questions was a new hub, fresh off my keyboard.  It is published, but as mentioned, right out of the box "Not Featured - Quality".   There is no tweaking to something new in my opinion when it has not even been given a chance at life!  A bot has deemed it have quality issues, yet my other hubs have not ever been hit with such a thing.  Again, I guess this is a new trend and until it mellows out, I shall hit back again and focus on my blog.

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
        paradigmsearchposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Dale. HP has tortured me in this regard as well. The infamous Armadillo Incident even made CNN I believe. Go ahead and give it one more shot; throw some more keywords into the picture captions for example. Maybe a human will look at it the second time around. Then, if still no sale, off to the blog it goes...big_smile

I just unpublished it.  Will move it to my blog when time allows.  At least there I can submit it to Google Webmaster Tools to get it into searches.  As it sits here, with this tag on it, Google will never see it so it can't be submitted.  I get most of my views from Google on both HP and my blog, so I have to place my material where Google can find it, lol.

9. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 9 years ago

@Dale Hyde

Thanks for posting this.  This post was flagged by Alison (editor), and it's good to see example complaints. 

We have to get the good stuff through and keep the crap out.  It's not perfect, but getting better.

We always feel bad when we make mistakes.  They are inevitable with the combination of human inputs and technology, but we are working hard to reduce our error rates.  We track the mistake rate and work to improve them.

I read the Hub and will discuss it with Fawntia. 

Thanks again for posting.

10. Kiss andTales profile image59

Nice to know that there are good people behind the scenes of hub-pages ,and that you do things in all fairness, would you also look into my hubs and tell me why my last hub published with no problems for two months ,and then two days ago it looks as though it was just being published. I had 193 views in those months, and now my hub is not rated as a feature . I do not make money here. But I have been a member here for some years .I have 54 written and now none featured . When some did feature . Could you explain why Hub pages would ok the hub and then months later not ok as a feature.
    To Dale Hyde and staff.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)