Has the traffic requirement to be featured gone up?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (21 posts)
  1. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 9 years ago

I used to have little trouble keeping everything featured but now defeaturing for traffic is happening a lot more.  It makes me wonder if the bar has been lifted?

1. janderson99 profile image53
      janderson99posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I suspect that there is a formula for minimum traffic requirements that depends on Hubber score. Unfortunately the plunge in score triggers a rush of unfeaturing due to low traffic - in my case about 50 and still coming thick and fast! I suspect that is one reason why the hubber scores have been lowered.

Quote from Marina:

"since Hubber Score determines whether links in Hubs are nofollow as well as the traffic thresholds and trial periods for staying Featured, it makes the most sense for it to reflect the quality of one's Hubs." ???? Quality ???

2. psycheskinner profile image84

Oh, another lovely side effect of being devalued.  Thanks for the explanation.

Given hub scores are automatic it would be nice if they just flat out said how they are calculated.

Its war against the willing IMO. The 100 club with their halos never get defeatured, hardly ever publish anything or contribute to the community. Inactivity is also a way to boost scores at the bottom end (no hubs!!). Your hubscore goes down if you publish more than one hub a day (despite having worked on them for weeks). That makes no sense. Why does HP feel it has to punish authors who are willing to publish! To lower the hubber scores of the majority of authors has a sourness and bitterness about it because of the consequences. Punishment for what purpose?

3. psycheskinner profile image84

I could live with an "average" sort of score.  But mine is very much below that, statistically speaking.  It suggest I am doing... something.... wrong? Maybe? [shrug]

1. colorfulone profile image77
      colorfuloneposted 9 years agoin reply to this

One thing I started doing on the 24th (just three days ago) is check my hubs with Grammarly. I found that I overly misused commas mostly. Grammarly also found where I left off an "s" at the end of a word or over-looked adding a hyphen, etc.

To be honest, I reread my hubs before I have a proof-reader lay eyes on them. I was surprised how much help Grammarly is at catching human errors.

My Hubberscore had gone down to 83 and was stuck there for a couple of weeks. Maybe Grammarly helped my score, maybe not, but I am fairly sure it did.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
        TIMETRAVELER2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Don't feel too bad about this.  I was a Language Arts teacher, proof my work, etc...but every time I do an edit, I find really stupid mistakes and typos.  I think it's the nature of the beast.  While Google does look at Grammar and Spelling, they are very low on the totem pole.  I'm not sure HP worries too much about this either, but probably they judge more harshly than Google.  All writers need to edit, edit and, oh yes...EDIT!!

TT, I don't feel bad about it, just glad I tried something different and got some surprisingly better results with hubscores, (for the time being).

I believe you are right that it is "the nature of the beast".

2. CelebrateUSA profile image75
        CelebrateUSAposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Great tip! I will try that one - grammar was not my strong suit! Thank you!

You are welcome, CelebrateUSA!

3. 4FoodSafety profile image60
        4FoodSafetyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Colorfulone,

I just started on Grammarly. Wow! What a powerhouse of information. It is like having a writing partner 24/7!

Thank you so much!

You are welcome, @4FoodSafety.
          Grammerly, is like having a "writing partner 24/7!"

4. Lady Lorelei profile image84
        Lady Loreleiposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for that tip ( reminder) colorfulone. I had been thinking on this previously but just never got around to it. Definitely should get started there.

You are welcome, Lorelei. I am not leaving typos in the forums now and need to go back and edit them. Definitely saving me time.

2. profile image0
      calculus-geometryposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Just skimming your profile page, I saw several really short hubs (by HP standards), which perhaps have low scores, which in turn would depress your profile score.  Your hub about striped dogs
      http://psycheskinner.hubpages.com/hub/Striped-Dogs
      has value to the reader because you list and link to lots of resources for more info, but your hub itself doesn't have a lot of text compared to what HP often gives as examples of the types of hubs they like.

I used to have a lot of these < 300 word hubs with quick answers to math problems, but I beefed them up with more text and they subsequently got more traffic, which removed the danger of becoming unfeatured.

I don't write the style of hub HP promotes as model hubs, but I get traffic from people trying to solve math problems, so I don't really care if I'm in line with HP's tastes. If you are getting good traffic, try not to let it bother you too much.

1. psycheskinner profile image84
        psycheskinnerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Well, indeed.

It was the style they rewarded until last week and that has been earning a solid 4-5 dollar CPM even in recent times (twice that back in the day).

That is why I will not be jumping to change it based on a sudden change in Hubscore when my goal is to make money rather than "score".

I will think it over.  Just because Hubpages want people spending long periods of time on a hub does not mean I as an individual hubber will embrace that goal unless I am convinced it will increase my earning more than writing more short hubs will.

1. Barbara Kay profile image74
          Barbara Kayposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I have several short hubs too that get good traffic.  I think being wordy only helps with Google if you can add more information. More words might make Hubpages happier, but they are just a bunch of blather if they don't add any value. Mine have low scores too.

I agree - short, sweet, concise to the point => satisfied and happy reader (especially on mobiles; loads fast as well). Google is happy to give it traffic as it is rated well. Provide what you know users want and need - no more stuffing is needed.

1. Amy Turberville profile image61
              Amy Turbervilleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I agree! As I learned in school- shorth is better than length!

4. Jodah profile image92
    Jodahposted 9 years ago

Well first the hub scores dropped (mine from 96 to 89) then hubs started becoming "un-featured". I had none that weren't featured, then overnight about 1/4 of all my hubs are now no longer featured due to traffic. It will be a lot slower getting all these back to featured status then it took them to lose it. The fun and games continue, at least it's not boring around here. I also noticed my earnings seemed up earlier in the month but haven't changed in the last four or five  days.

5. Gek Aka profile image61
    Gek Akaposted 9 years ago

If traffic feature gone up, its brilliant good news as traffic is the blood of all online business

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)