Siquido merging with HuPages, will this transition stir up the community or will

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (58 posts)
  1. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 9 years ago

Ok I'll bite.

I don't like happy-clappy stuff, and I am not interested in trying to acquire followers.  There is no money or point to it.

So in what way does an influx of new content and writers affect me?

Unless they are directly competing with my pathetic niche it makes no difference at all.  There is a small possibility of traffic moving in either direction once Google notices.

My take is that Squidoo is disappearing.  That is the big story.  Another content farm or UGC site goes to the wall.

1. kenneth avery profile image80
      kenneth averyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hey, I will not pull punches. I would love more followers. What hubber wouldn't. But to let that cloud my welcoming the Squidoo members might make people think that I am very shallow which I am NOT.

1. Jean Bakula profile image92
        Jean Bakulaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi Kenneth,
        Always good to see you on the forums, hope you are keeping your spirits up. Don't ever hit the "delete" button for your account, your hubs are so cool and make everyone smile. Plus, you are one of my favorite hubbers.

I'm sure HP thought about this merger carefully, after all, it's a business decision for them, it's a hobby for us. Probably a lot of people from Squidoo won't even bother, it seems there is less and less money in online writing now anyway. I just do it for the creative energy, and don't really have all that much of it lately. But it will come back. Hang in there, my friend, and I hope you can get comfortable.

My Dear Friend, Jean,
          "I thank you sincerely, for your comment. I do like to participate in forums that are relative to my I.Q. But sometimes the subjects are so "out there," I simply choose to just write and let others live. But you, my friend, you and I go back quite a "few" years. You were among my first followers and I love it that you even stuck with me when I was off of HP for a month when I was sick. Frankly I do not feel great at this writing, and don't YOU worry. With friends/followers like YOU, Jean, I am going to stay here for I trust what you say."
          "Believe this or not, with your one comment on here, you have completely made me refreshed and more-settled about sticking to HP. I mean it.'
          "And if . . .I in any way, can EVER be of help to you for anything, just let me know."
          Love
          Kenneth

1. KathyMcGraw2 profile image69
            KathyMcGraw2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Kenneth-
            As one of the new Squidoo people I was intrigued with your interaction with Jean.  It's made me curious enough to go see who you are as you sound down to earth wink  Anyway, hope whatever health issue is resolved now and that your energy level does come back.  Oh BTW I am Kathy.....pretty outspoken, but honest smile

Hi Kathy and Welcome to Hubpages! Kenneth and I came to HP and began writing around the same time, just short of 4 years ago. I wasn't always active here, after the first year when I got some online writing skills, I began my own blog. But many of us stay friendly with people that began the same time we did, as we had a lot of questions being "newbies", just like all of you joining us together from Squidoo. It takes some time to figure out a new site, and really I still have stuff to figure out, the rules always keep changing.

But I think you will find everyone friendly and willing to help you. We all want to see each other succeed as long as they aren't spammers or really awful writers. I have made many friends, not as sweet as Kenneth, but ones I ended up emailing personally and having relationships with. I hope you enjoy it here, and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Jean,
                I so agree with you about keeping in touch with the people you started with. Squidoo had a pretty good community until a couple years ago when our forums got closed.  The veterans went one way and HQ went another, an interesting time to say the least.  But bottom line is I understand what you are saying. 

One of our Veteran writers, and one heck of a talented person started a FB group where many of us are helping each other as we find, or come across, new things.  Only about 15% (by one measurement) of us have had our accounts transferred over, so the stress level is still high and not all the HP people are good at "bedside manners."   A few incidents have already occurred  smile

I am in shock that no Squidoo members have written in this section of the forum....I am actually laughing saying, "hey, you have all these new friends all to yourself "....LOL smile

Kathy,
                  Certain people go on certain forums, and it's fun to see your friends there. You may want to suggest them to your friends. It's a good place to get help, if you go to the list of forums in the beginning of the site, there are ones for all kinds of subjects, it's really long. Then you can read about the things that interest you, hubs all about those topics will be named there.

The political and religion ones can get nasty, it would be best to stay away from those. If people insult you or call you names (it can happen when people feel passionately) they usually get banned from the forums for 3 days.

Try to explore around, the forums are active.  I like to read, and if I go on the Bestsellers or Fiction or Nonfiction ones, can read all kinds of book reviews.

2. profile image0
              swilliamsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

KathyMcGraw2, thank you for not judging my mistake big_smile Welcome!

SWilliams.....

Life is way too short to get all in an uproar over spelling mistakes, especially ones with words we've never seen or heard of before smile  And thank you for the welcome.

1. profile image0

I agree! I welcome your positive vibe!

2. profile image0
    calculus-geometryposted 9 years ago

Not to offend anyone whose identity is deeply bound to their choice of revenue sharing platform, but HubPages and Squidoo have basically the same type of content with only superficial differences in formatting, and perhaps not-so-superficial differences in outbound link allowances. 

Paul E. said in the official thread that there is some "eventually" point when all the migrated content has to conform to guidelines here, so in the long run I don't see the composition of HP changing all that much.  And I bet there are tons of Squidoo users who plan to put their articles somewhere else besides HP, so who knows how much new content will actually be coming in. 

(What happened to the first post? "Siquido" actually has a nice ring to it and siquido.com doesn't seem to be taken.)

1. profile image0

Lol! That was me calculus-geometry! I was trying to correct the word typo in the header.

Siquido merging with HuPages, will this transition stir up the community or will it strengthen this environment?

I do believe it's up to the community to be kind and understanding. This is what attracted me to the HubPages.

I have written for many outlets, well-known establishments that are no longer in business. When I came to the HubPages I was amazed by the vast amount of helpful tutorials that were available to writers. The HubPage community shares their views in a kind manner, and many writers are eager to help. And then there are rude writers that mock others. In the end it's up  to the community to keep the peace.
      http://s2.hubimg.com/u/9181659_f248.jpg

1. profile image0
        calculus-geometryposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Ah well, TimeTraveler2 got snarked at for calling it Squiddo, you're in good company. smile

2. kenneth avery profile image80

as for me, I will pay the "wait and see" game and then if I have two choice of either to stay with HP or Delete . . .well, that is enough for now.

1. profile image0

Hi Kenneth! Just to let you know, you are a kind supporter. I got a welcome message when I followed you, and that was a unique and welcoming feeling! Thank you! You are also a hard worker and you strive to do things right, which is a blessing. I have been a part of communities that mock people, and use very bad language towards others.
          Hopefully the community will draw in great supporting people. I've noticed that some the most talented writers are so inconsiderate and rude, not helpful at all. Iron Sharpens Iron.

swilliams,
            God bless you richly, right now, for all of your sweet and humbling words. I appreciate them very much. Since my joinng Hubs, I have had one goal: TO make my followers or whomever reads my materials, happy if only for one minute. For in that minute their minds are not on their problems or what is depressing them.
            You, my dear friend, are one I would consider dedicated, warm, and so talented. I work as if I am on a deadline some weeks to get a few words down before I forget them--this Fibromyalgia does make me forgetful sometimes.
            But thank you so much. I said in my email of thanks to you for following me, and I still hold true to that email, I will be YOUR FRIEND forever.
            And about your comment of higher-intellect writers being so arrogant, you are so right. Those are the ones I would be uncomfortable in them following me.
            Stay in touch with me. Deal?

1. profile image0

I will always stay in touch my funny bone writer! You make me laugh! Continued Blessings!

smile smwilliams. Thank you. You do put a lot of smile on my face.
                God smile on you dear friend.

3. Solaras profile image97
    Solarasposted 9 years ago

If we had a choice between Squidoo vanishing or joining HP with its best content, I would opt for having them join us.  I hope it will be good for me.  If not, then I need to kick it up a notch.

1. profile image0

I agree! The HubPages has a great community. I like Yahoo, however I was not surprise to see their outlet for bloggers disappear. The community would turn on you in a second.  It appears as if the HubPages really want to see their writers succeed, i can tell by the information that openly provide for writers.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
        TIMETRAVELER2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

swilliams;

I'm glad to hear you say that because I came here from there for exactly that reason.

They had a few prima donnas who were unbelievably difficult and snobbish.  I absolutely hated it there, learned nothing and made almost no money.

It's no wonder they went under!

1. profile image0

This is true TIMETRAVELER2! I know that it is very important to welcome newbies. There will probably be a few lost Squidoo writers that will feel reluctant to ask questions. I just wanted to find out who the welcome wagon people are. Did you I spelled Squidoo? I butchered that word up pretty badly. :-( Your squidoo spelling was not that bad. :-) I did 3 times until the lady with the frog hat told me stop.

SWilliams
            Squidoo was a pretty lame name, with a lame logo, so no wonder people can't spell it wink  We just had years to learn it so it's 2nd hat.  No fears, I actually think it's funny all the variety of spellings.

2. KathyMcGraw2 profile image69

Time Traveler.....as one who has been there awhile I know it isn't/wasn't the easiest place to break into.  I was part of a group that helped newbies before HQ decided to drop one program and duplicate ours with their own agenda.

As for prima donnas and stuff....everyone had their own ideas of who was who.  I do know that the platform wasn't for everyone, and the forums could be brutal as well.  Same as here. Well now that our parents have married...all us children of the 2 platforms will be in the same house, so me, I plan to just be myself.  If I have something to say, I will say it.  But I really have been trying to learn who is who, and what is what before even posting wink

Anyway....glad to hear HP worked out better for you, as LOL well, here we are, one big happy family smile

4. Sed-me profile image78
    Sed-meposted 9 years ago

As long as they like to chat, I really don't care what they do. smile

Sed-me....your comment really made me laugh.  I sure can't speak for other Squidoo lensmasters, but I know I love to chat wink Many of us made our own forums on Yuku a couple years ago and that is where many of us go for info.  Coming into your forums as a newbie after years of being a Veteran might be a bit difficult, but hey we have some mighty strong good writers coming over here wink

Oh, hi, I am Kathy smile

1. Sed-me profile image78
        Sed-meposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Your hubber score is already higher than mine. I want to chat with you, but I have to flog myself. Ill be back later.

Sed-me....

LOL, well apparently those scores don't mean much anyway...lol I see it went down already since I edited a hub. My Squidoo lenses just got here yesterday and as I go in and start editing to make them fit HP standards the score will go down to the average smile

Oh, and also....hope no one judges us on how our hubs look right now, as there are some issues we need to fix.  Also many of us had a lot of affiliate links but that was the practice over there and we will fix them as time permits within the grace period time.  Me, I just loved seeing those 12 skulls I had.  Never had a red skull before smile

Skulls must have been a squidoo thing? I never looked into that, now that it's gone, I wish I had.

Sed-me

No, Squidoo didn't have skulls but HP does.  It is the symbol here on our dashboard for hubs that have violations.  I had 50 something lenses come over and it took a day, but then I had 12 of those little red skulls show up.  Work....they mean work, so be glad you never saw any smile

Huh... no, I don't think I ever noticed any, but then I'm not a very observant person.

This is what is at the bottom of your hubs page...it tells what their symbols are....and the little red skull isn't one we want smile  The pictures didn't show up....but the one that says Contains Violations has the skull smile

= Editor's Choice

= Featured= Not Featured - Engagement= Not Featured - Quality= Pending

â–²= Traffic Risingâ–¼= Traffic Falling= Broken Links= Ads Disabled

= Contains ViolationsCheck for Violations Now Last checked: 13 hours ago

DeletedNot PublishedSubmitted For PublicationNeeds RevisionIrrevocable

1. Writer Fox profile image30
                    Writer Foxposted 9 years agoin reply to this

She was joking.  She's been here for quite a while on another account.

2. Sed-me profile image78

Yes, I remember seeing all of those. I just don't remember the skeletons.
                    I had an account here before this one. I had over 80 hubs, they were all published at one time... I even had a hubber score of 100 a few times... then the winds of change came in and left many of us shells of our former selves. So now I only have recipes up b/c it requires the least bearing of the soul. lol
                    Until they reform or clearly define the hubber scores, I am boycotting them. It's my own personal revolution. I'm pretty sure I'm the only one participating, but I like to think of it as a grass-roots kind of thing.

FIGHT THE POWER!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)