It Must Be Friday...

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (28 posts)
  1. lisavollrath profile image93
    lisavollrathposted 9 years ago

...because Spam is now being served in the QA.

It never fails: the weekend starts, and the spammers descend.

1. profile image0
      calculus-geometryposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Q&A spam means it's a day ending in "y."

lisavollrathposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Nah. It's been pretty minimal that past couple of days.

1. nightcats profile image66
          nightcatsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I wonder why the increase on Fridays. Can it be these good people (and I use the term loosely) have day jobs and when the weekend comes, they're free to spread their rubbish.

2. Sed-me profile image79
      Sed-meposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I never noticed, but then I don't frequent the Q and A section very often. Sounds like it's more than they do here though.

2. LindaSmith1 profile image61
    LindaSmith1posted 9 years ago

I wish HP would just ban them through their IP address.  They open multiple accounts under different names.

1. LuisEGonzalez profile image78
      LuisEGonzalezposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Like Sed-me, many of us don't bother with Q/A section. Mostly you can find the best "action" in the forums. I suspect that eventually HP will get rid of the Q/A 's.
      Also notice how old some of the questions/answers are.

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/11081433.jpg

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
        Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I've been thinking the same thing for the last six years, because that's how long the Q&A's have been a mess.  If they haven't done it yet, I don't think they're going to dump them any time soon!

1. Sed-me profile image79

http://sed-me.hubpages.com/question/244 … nd-a-forum

"You cannot provide the first answer to your own question."
          sad

3. Arachnea profile image67
    Arachneaposted 9 years ago

Some of us write meaningful and useful hubs, others well, write spam. 'Nuff said. wink

4. LindaSmith1 profile image61
    LindaSmith1posted 9 years ago

Nightcat  Maybe they are week-end roaches.

5. misterhollywood profile image91
    misterhollywoodposted 9 years ago

I just about spewed out my tea reading this - loved it:) my question is - what constitutes spam? Hehe

1. Sed-me profile image79

Chopped pork shoulder meat, with ham meat added, salt, water, modified potato starch as a binder, sugar, and sodium nitrite as a preservative.

2. Writer Fox profile image32
      Writer Foxposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Spam is so great that, if you eat it, you are 67% more likely to develop pancreatic cancer. According to the American Cancer Society, for all stages of pancreatic cancer combined, the one-year relative survival rate is 20%, and the five-year rate is 6%.

Here's why:
      http://science.howstuffworks.com/innova … -food1.htm

1. Jayne Lancer profile image91
        Jayne Lancerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Please don't do that. I tend to hypochondria.

1. Writer Fox profile image32
          Writer Foxposted 9 years agoin reply to this

big_smile

1. fpherj48 profile image59
            fpherj48posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Cuddly FOX doll.......Yeah, I tend to agree with Jayne......must you rub sodium in the wound? It's enough that I can't get past the sight and smell of the stuff.....Now we know precisely WHY it sickens us.   
            Oh, but thanks for the education.  Really.  I do know it's "for our own good!"   LOL  We should probably apologize to lisa.  She didn't intend for a thread on canned meat!   Sorry, lisa.  We're bad.  sad

I'm pretty sure I didn't intend to discuss canned meat, since I'm a vegan. Now, if you people were discussing bacon, I could understand. But canned gelatinous pig butts?

My father used to fry up slices of Spam, and eat it with sunny side up eggs and ketchup. Possibly the grossest presentation possible. My mother used to say it looked like he'd stabbed his breakfast.

1. fpherj48 profile image59
                fpherj48posted 9 years agoin reply to this

lisa.....Thanks for being tolerant of our silliness.  I know, really.....CANNED meat?  There's something unholy about the very sound of that!  I like your Mom's sense of humor.  As for Dad's breakfast?  I'll pass...........LOL

Don....I get your drift on "perspective".....I do.  But just for the record, I raised 4 hungry sons on my own and nary a can of spam graced my pantry!!  I am happy you survived your Spam days though.  There are worse things we consume, I'm sure....In fact, if I'm not mistaken, it seems we should ALL be into some serious label-reading while shopping.  All the GMO is a bit scary.  Anyone hungry right about now??  I WAS.

1. Don Bobbitt profile image84
                  Don Bobbittposted 9 years agoin reply to this

fpherj48- Thanks you. It is good to hear that someone caught my point. The other response I received made me feel like I was reading something from history when the unknowing queen of France said when told the people did not have bread. If you remember, it was; "Let them eat Cake".
                  Or in the commenters statement, "let them eat Shepherds Pie"???????????
                  Oh My!
                  My mention of a truly POOR person and their extreme financial limitations driving them to unsavory choices at times seems to have been missed. Oh Well!
                  Let's all look in ur cookbooks and make the poor lady a few CAKES. They should tide her family over until her kids are grown, Right?
                  Have  nice day.
                  DON

That's not what I said, nor what I meant, but interpret it however you want!

2. Sed-me profile image79

Wow, that's kind of awful. Ive heard similar things about hot dogs.

6. fpherj48 profile image59
    fpherj48posted 9 years ago

lisa.....I wonder why the spammers favor the week-ends?  It's not as though they could possibly have anything intelligent or productive to do during the week. Really.

And...Beth....thanks so much for the list of ingredients.  I never knew what that slop was made up of.....I always referred to it as a slab of slime.  What amazes me is that there are humans who actually LIKE it...and worse, admit it!  My cocker spaniel turns his nose up at Spam.  LOL

7. Don Bobbitt profile image84
    Don Bobbittposted 9 years ago

Just for Perspective!
    OK, When I was young, this stuff appeared on our dinner table fried until crispy and on a sandwich. As Kids, we were just young eating machines, and our parents were doing their best to provide meals for us at certain times.
    And, we LOVED It!
    As my Dad became more senior and got more regular work, we saw less and less of the famous SPAM on our table.
    I forgot about it until I was in a small-town supermarket in the South about ten years ago. There was a Mom with three Kids trailing down the aisles with her, and she stopped and loaded at least 5-6 cans of SPAM into her basket.
    I laughed to myself, and at the cashier, I mentioned that I saw a lady with kids buying what I called "stacks of Spam cans" into her basket. He looked at me for a moment and told me.
    Mister. that's Mrs. Rod#####, and she's just trying to feed her kids. She works two part-time jobs and takes care of her kids by herself.
    Then he looked at me sternly and said. And, around here, buying a can of Spam when you or your kids are hungry, Aint a bad thing.
    I, duly chastised, and remembering my own childhood, slithered from the store.
    So, SPAM AINT SO BAD, when its all you have,
    DON

I don't think spam is the answer if you have to cook economically. I'd go for cheaper cuts of fresh meat, mince meat and offal as sources of protein. I hardly ever use tinned or convenience foods, and I always serve vegetables. Once you're in the habit of cooking properly, it really doesn't take much time and effort, and it certainly doesn't have to be expensive. In fact, some of the most delicious recipes are the cheapest--my family loves shepherd's pie, for example, which is mince meat covered in mashed potato and baked. Pasta dishes are also quick and nutritious, and can be made very cheaply.

Since my way of eating often comes under question, I'm particularly sensitive to criticism of the way anyone eats. When it comes to convenience foods, people who eat them were often raised with them as part of their diets, so they're foods that are familiar. They also tend to be used by people short on time (like a single mother with two jobs), or short on cooking knowledge. Not everyone is taught how to cook, and once you're out on your own, working two jobs and raising kids, there isn't much time to learn.

I only mean that I don't think people on a tight budget are forced to eat foods like spam, tinned meat etc. There are so many alternatives, and I don't think making quick, easy, inexpensive and nutritious meals takes much talent. I'm really not a talented cook, but most of the best recipes are simple. I think two of the most important things to use if you're feeding a family on a tight budget is a good cookery book and a shopping list.

Like most people, I've also had to get through some pretty sticky situations in my time. I think it's mostly a matter of questioning the way you do things and trying to find a better way.

1. gmwilliams profile image84
            gmwilliamsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Jayne, there are many who use spam like they use government cheese.  They are too impoverished to purchase more nutritious foods as such foods are expensive.  They are those who simply DON'T have the means to purchase nutritional, high quality foods but we are disgressing here.

There have been quite a lot of spammers in the Q&A section.  There are people who ask 10 or more questions consecutively.  Many of these questions can easily be researched.  Questions that are nonsensical SHOULDN'T be asked as are questions that are wholly self-explanatory.  The type of questions that should be asked are those which make people think and probably write hubs.  I prefer to ask deep philosophical, sociological, or psychological questions. A lot of the questions asked are just a waste of space.  One of the questions asked was what happens if one does not take a bath for 6 weeks, really, c'mon now.
            http://s2.hubimg.com/u/11227017.gif

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)