New categories for Squidoo sites transferring in

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (25 posts)
  1. makingamark profile image69
    makingamarkposted 9 years ago

Is it possible to run this as a thread for suggestions for categories missing from the existing category list

For example - any chance of an "Art Business & Marketing" category under Arts and Design?

1. religions7 profile image57
      religions7posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Given that the recently published 2014 Ranking Factors report stresses site structure, I do think the category structure may be on the list of issues to improve. I sure hope so.

1. best-gifts-ever profile image52
        best-gifts-everposted 9 years agoin reply to this

For those of you who hadn't discovered it yet - here's the complete list of categories:

http://hubpages.com/topics/tree

1. Lionrhod profile image77
          Lionrhodposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thank you!
          I'd asked if we had something like this, but you're the first person who's answered me on it.

2. Lionrhod profile image77

Although I'm all for adding more specific subcategories, I'm having the exact opposite problem.

I just finished editing one of my lens/hubs and had to decide where to put it. Does it go in Wicca, Witchcraft or Paganism. It's all THREE. Eeek! I certainly do understand the distinction between the three, but I was happier with the way it was back in Squidoo with all of those as one category.

I finally settled for Wicca, but *sigh* not entirely happy that I had to choose.

3. calendarsblog profile image58
      calendarsblogposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Under arts somewhere, a folk art category would be good.

2. lisavollrath profile image94
    lisavollrathposted 9 years ago

I have some gripes about the whole taxonomy of the Arts & Design section.

Art Journaling is under Scrapbooking. Art journaling is not a form of scrapbooking, or even remotely related to it. Also, when I try to drill down to the art journaling topic, which is supposed to be at Arts and Design → Scrapbooking and Scrapbook Printables → Art Journaling, a link to art journaling isn't even listed on the scrapbooking and printables page. It also doesn't show up in search.

Mixed Media is under Crafts & Handiwork. Mixed media is a form of art, but not a craft.

3. religions7 profile image57
    religions7posted 9 years ago

There are, as any search on the topic will tell you, a lot of hubs about 3d technology. Somewhere under technology would be a good place for those hubs.

4. religions7 profile image57

Under Religion and Philosophy (16,597 Hubs) a subcategory 'Theosophy' would be good. I have nearly 20 hubs on the topic myself. I can't see that there is a suitable subcategory for it. It's not a new-religious movement for instance, as it is over a century old (end 19th century).

There are in the category for Christmas Gifts, already over 400 hubs.

Christmas (3,239 Hubs) > Choosing Christmas Gifts (437 Hubs)

Squidoo really encouraged writing about this topic, so there are hundreds of new hubs coming in on this topic. Possible subcategories include:

mom gifts
      dad gifts
      women gifts
      men gifts
      baby gifts
      toddler gifts
      kids gifts
      teen gifts
      gifts for the elderly
      general gifts

religions7posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I see that there is in fact a category for teen gifts: Gifts and Gift-Giving (2,896 Hubs) > Gifts for Teens (15 Hubs)

So it would also make sense to add categories there for gifts for moms (or women) and dads (or men). Babies and toddlers might be subcategories of kids, or at the same level.

2. religions7 profile image57

There are a lot of categories about the specific ethics of something or other. However, ethics is also a philosophy specialty. (yes, I happen to have a lens that fits). So I think there ought to be a subcategory 'ethics' under 'philosphy'

Philosophy (817 Hubs) > ethics

3. best-gifts-ever profile image52
      best-gifts-everposted 9 years ago

Under (facial) skincare there are is really only acne and wrinkles covered right now.

I looked up common skincare problems and these come up:

Acne (listed with several subcategories)
      Birthmarks (not listed)
      Eczema (listed under skin conditions)
      Hair Disorders (hair loss is listed in several categories)
      Herpes Simplex (herpes is listed)
      Herpes Zoster (herpes is listed)
      Lentigenes (can't find it)
      Melasma (can't find it)
      Psoriasis (listed under skin conditions)
      Rosacea (I have a few hubs on this, so I'd love a category somewhere - as either a skin condition or as something related to facial skincare)
      Seborrheic Dermatitis (can't find it)
      Skin Cancer (listed under cancer)
      Sun Damage (perhaps falls under 'First Aid for Sunburn')
      Vitiligo (not listed)
      Wound Healing (can't find it)

My source: http://www.dermweb.com/common_skin_problems/

1. Writer Fox profile image31
        Writer Foxposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That list is making me itch.

4. best-gifts-ever profile image52

Another one: under Operating Systems (478 Hubs) Chrome deserves a mention (or Chromebook). Similarly 'Android' (though that is represented under smartphones and tablets).

5. best-gifts-ever profile image52

And then I can't believe there is no category for backpacks. It makes most sense to have it here, I think:
      Handbags and Purses (678 Hubs) > backpacks.

The category 'Handbags and Purses' may then need to be renamed to 'Bags and Purses' or something.

6. best-gifts-ever profile image52

I have another one. There are a whopping 810 hubs under 'Dolls and Doll Houses'.

I guess splitting these up into dolls and dollhouses makes sense. However, dollhouses are often themed by the dolls they're made for (barbie for instance).

So whether the dollhouses (there do seem to be some hubs on the topic) get their own subcategory or not, the following are obvious candidates for subcategories:

-barbie
      -Monster High
      - baby dolls
      - American Girl
      - history
      - paper dolls
      - Disney Princess
      - Lalaloopsy Rag Doll
      - Ugly Doll
      - Voodoo Poppets
      -Dora Links Dolls
      - Create your own doll (or doll crafts or something)
      -Nesting Dolls

1. lisavollrath profile image94
        lisavollrathposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Dollhouses should be in its own category, since very often, they are built on their own, without any dolls at all. (This was my topic when I was writing at About.com.)

Agreed. Also an Art Doll category.

1. vineliner57 profile image91
            vineliner57posted 9 years agoin reply to this

We need a category for Steampunk. It was under "Culture & Society / Subcultures / Steampunk" at Squidoo.

You mean steampunk dolls?

I assume you don't. Subcultures (under Politics and Social Issues) has 173 hubs, so it is a candidate for all kinds of subcategories. Among which I guess steampunk might be one.

http://hubpages.com/topics/politics-and … ssues/4677
              http://hubpages.com/topics/politics-and … tures/7443

1. vineliner57 profile image91
                vineliner57posted 9 years agoin reply to this

No, not Steampunk dolls. My reply wasn't supposed to be about dolls. My bad.

When my Steampunk lenses where brought over they were placed under Politics and Social Issues → Subcultures.

Although they were put into a corresponding category when they were imported, I believe it needs to be drilled down even further to include a Steampunk sub-category.

From looking around, there seems to be plenty of Steampunk hubs to warrant an addition.

Thanks.

7. Lionrhod profile image77
      Lionrhodposted 9 years ago

Going through some of the categories to see what's already there.

How To Write definitely needs categories for

Fiction Technique
      Nonfiction Technique

I'm sure Collecting and Collections needs more options, though not sure what they'd be. Those of you who focus on that would know better.

Home needs Off Grid Living if there isn't a category for that somewhere else. (Green Home and Gardening isn't quite the same thing. It could also use a Bath category and maybe even a Bedroom one. I'd also like to see a Unique Houses/Handbuilt Homes category or something similar.

Activism could use a History category.

Subcultures needs a LOT of categories. Just a few that come to mind are Goth, Cosplay, Survivalism.

Under Social Issues, I'm surprised to not find a category on Volunteering.

Animals needs Mythical, Cryptozoology, Extinct Animals and Dinosaurs.

Specialty Travel & Tourism needs EcoTourism and Volunteer/Work Tours.

Those are the ones I noticed so far.

There is a whole category devoted to mythical creatures: http://hubpages.com/topics/education-an … ptids/4594
        Subtopics like:
        Burrowing Creatures (2 Hubs)
        Dragons (13 Hubs)
        Flying Creatures (6 Hubs)
        Forest Creatures (57 Hubs)
        Bigfoot (47 Hubs)
        Gryphons and Hippogriffs (1 Hubs)
        Pegasus (1 Hubs)
        Phoenix (creature) (6 Hubs)
        Sea and Water Creatures (25 Hubs)
        Loch Ness Monster (6 Hubs)
        Unicorns (9 Hubs)

Note that 'flying creatures' would include elves and fairies wink I thought this was a lot of fun when I discovered it.

Wow. Under sociology and anthropology. About the last place I would EVER have found it. We should probably request that they move it somewhere logical. Putting it under Animals would make a lot more sense.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)