Mesothelioma "In danger of being flagged as overly promotional"

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (21 posts)
  1. RockyMountainMom profile image68
    RockyMountainMomposted 9 years ago

I'm about to publish a hub.  My goal with this hub is to promote the idea of writing for Mesothelioma Awareness day.  I took out one link to cancer information already, but am still getting the warning.

I think that this hub, without links to the information, would be silly.  And I think that not linking to cancer websites for such foolish reasons is also silly.

Any insights on the following would be appreciated:

1. Why would this be a problem?

2.  If the "danger" is realized and it is flagged, what happens then?

3.  Is there something different I should do?

I will likely go ahead and publish this, because I made a commitment to a CANCER SURVIVOR that I would help with this and just told her I was about to publish it.

I would be mortified and deeply disappointed in hub pages, however, if this were blocked or unpublished in some way.

Input appreciated.

1. Judy Filarecki profile image70
      Judy Filareckiposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Could you just put the link information in the Hub without making it a link? Explain to the viewer about cutting and pasting the link info. I know that makes it much more complicated, but if it means the difference between being published or flagged and deleted, I would give it a try.

Good luck. I've had a close friend from mesothelioma and it is not a pleasant death. I'm sure you have important information to pass on.

RockyMountainMomposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I did that in a couple of places, and I think that works----thank you.  I think people can find the organization easily enough.

http://rockymountainmom.hubpages.com/hu … reness-Day

(I just use the organizations' name and for now took out her blog link, but am incorporating advice above, too and may try to put that one back in, at the very least).

2. kenneth avery profile image79
      kenneth averyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

RockyMountainMom,
      Personally, I would email team@hubpages.com and ask for Christy or Matt. Then tell them to discuss with you, the section you are wondering about. Email it to them and they can get a better focus on your question.
      I have had this happen to me and these two helped me a lot.
      Kenneth

thank you kenneth!

2. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 9 years ago

Because mesothelioma has a 100% known cause personal injury lawyers are desperate to get clients with this condition--so they pay huge amounts to affiliate advertisers/spammers for leads leading to massive spamming on this topic.  I think that if you ask for manual review the flag will be removed.

THANK YOU!  I needed some logic to apply to this, as I was getting angrier and angrier as the warnings got more firm.

I took out more links, making sure I was two or less including any addresses on images.  And still was getting warnings.

I took out every single link in the article, because the latest message said it would not remain published.

Still unsure if it will be taken it down: http://rockymountainmom.hubpages.com/hu … reness-Day 

It is interesting that on the related articles list generated by hub pages there were actual lawyer related articles---looked like actual solicitations.

I'm looking for people to help write a bout cancer.....which I hope people will.  At least this makes some sense now.

I would like to put back the link to the survivor's blog/story....so perhaps I can put it back and ask for manual review.  But I'm wary of taking the risk.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
        Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It's nothing to do with the links.  It's the subject.  Unfortunately, spammers have spoiled this subject for the rest of us, because it is the target of so many dodgy internet tactics.   

You will need to submit it for manual review.

Thank you, I am now focusing on the manual review rather than overthinking it link by link....

3. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 9 years ago

That is one of the biggest spam topics out there.  My paternal grandfather died of mesothelioma-related illness, so I also get the grim reality now buried under a precedent of big payouts.

You absolutely need to go the manual review route on this.

Thank you.  Have you written about him?

Is it safer to ask for review with the intention of adding back in the survivor's link, or put it back and ask for review?

For now, I took out everything, because I want to get back to her that it is live.

1. relache profile image72
        relacheposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The link is not the problem.  The problem is the Hub topic:  mesothelioma.

You are going to need a manual review because it's one of the restricted topics, period. You should ask any questions about appropriateness of content or links in the Hub to the moderators.

Perfect, thank you.  That helps greatly, as I tend to split hairs on these things.

4. DrMark1961 profile image96
    DrMark1961posted 9 years ago

I had the same notice a few years ago when I published a hub about a junkyard rescue dog I had that died of mesothelioma. It is just a computer algorithm that recognizes the word and sends you that message.
    1.It is no problem. As relache mentions, some people write on this subject just to spam.
    2. If it is flagged, contact the hubpages team for a manual review.
    3. No, there is nothing different you should be doing.
    Good luck with the title.

Thank you.   It might now be unflagged, in the absence of any links at all in the text.  But I am leaning toward adding the one back in that I value most and requesting a manual review.

5. profile image0
    minababeposted 9 years ago

Just to give people some background about the whole mesothelioma thing...

This goes beyond Hubpages and goes to something that happened nearly a decade ago. Years and years ago, mesothelioma became one of the highest paying keywords in Google Adsense. I think it was paying something like $45 per CPM or something. As you can expect, people went to town building tons of crappy blogs and websites around mesothelioma, so now this topic is considered to be about as spammy as pills promising to grow your libido or make you lose weight fast.

Knowing how much greed there has been surrounding this topic, it's making more sense now.

As a patient of a different illness, I know how hard it is to accept road blocks to proper sharing of information.  It would be hard to have this disease and know that more people could prevent getting it with better information.

My scores and traffic here have taken several hits, and if this hurts them further, that's a risk I'm willing to take.  (I'm not taking your comment to be implying that I shouldn't, by the way)

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
        Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The question is, have you checked what information is already available?  Can you write a Hub that will provide better information than they can find in a simple Google search?    There are several large 'authority' sites on mesothelioma which come up at the top of search already.

This was a commitment I made to a cancer patient in support of this year's awareness day.  So in the end, this particular hub was more about supporting a survivor (at her request) in spreading awareness and possibly inspiring others to write a post to show support.

It is not going to be niche of mine, though I will post on my blogs in keeping with the mesothelioma campaign (described in the hub) to post blogs this week for awareness day.

The hub supports the larger sites which are participating in this awareness campaign.  So it's differently motivated than other hubs I will write here over time.

To somewhat answer the question, though...when I've supported efforts in Lyme disease awareness (my disease) I do sometimes find my blogs, articles, or social media efforts high in search results occasionally when I am googling to find information on specific topics or events where I would not have expected anything of mine to come into view at all (even though these were not topics I'd have thought I'd outrank anyone on).

6. Writer Fox profile image32
    Writer Foxposted 9 years ago

Another problem is that people won't be able to find your Hub on Google because there is so much competition for that keyword and every possible long-tail keyword phrase surrounding it.  It will be difficult for your message to be heard.  Not to mention the fact that Mesothelioma Awareness day is September 26, three days away.  Maybe next year?

For this year, I will be pleased enough if hubpages keeps it up (I'm optimistic) and if even a few people see it and check out the mom's blog and/or watch for other blogs (around the web) this week.  At least one (fantastically talented) writer said they'd post a blog.  So I'm satisfied with my contribution, as long as I also get a couple of posts of my own written and up on my blogs by Friday.

But I like the idea of starting earlier next year and trying to generate more, assuming they do the same campaign again next year (or perhaps either way).

I like the idea of support and articles coming from beyond their illness community.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)