What are some of your favorite names and why?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (23 posts)
  1. Sed-me profile image79
    Sed-meposted 9 years ago

I love the name Moira and always have. I love the sound of it. Being an American you think someone's gonna say Myra, and then boom! they switch the sound on you mid word. It's an enjoyable name.

1. Nancy Hardin profile image59
      Nancy Hardinposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Have you ever researched your own name? I have and it was fun and enlightening. In fact I did write a hub about it, but of course won't post it here. But the fun of it was learning that my name is fairly common all over the world, even though it's sometimes pronounced a bit different. And that there's an art glass factory that carries my name, but only because it's the name of the village in France where it's located. All sorts of fun facts made my day while writing the piece. You should try it some time.

Sed-meposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I have never done a formal study like thing, but I have read several times that Beth means "house" (I hope it doesn't stand for "as big as a...") But it basically is House of God or also, God is my oath. I like these very much though "House of God" is very sobering and I'd like to dwell on that quite a bit more.

Your name apparently means, "grace" is that right?

1. Nancy Hardin profile image59
          Nancy Hardinposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes Sed-me, "grace" is what my name means. Beth, meaning House of God is sobering, isn't it? But then, it's a shortened version of Elizabelth, from the Hebrew Elishaba. I think names and their origins are so interesting. I also had my name in actual Hebrew on my page, but it was evidently deleted, I guess for PC reasons? Yochanan is my Hebrew name in our language.

Yes, very sobering. I love that you know your Hebrew name.

2. profile image0
    Motown2Chitownposted 9 years ago

Wanna hear how boring I am?

My favorite female names are Catherine, Anne, Elizabeth, and Miriam.

Male names are Michael, Christopher, and Nicholas.

I'm so old fashioned...lol

The actress, Moira Kelly played Dorothy Day (one of my favorite people) in a biopic called "Entertaining Angels." You might like it. smile

Those are good names. I love Irish names too... really anything Irish. What's this thread about? Oh yeah...

I like those manly names for men... Jacob (Jake), Jonah, Will... all good names. I love both my son's names, but I wont share them here. smile

1. profile image0
        Motown2Chitownposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I like Jacob too. smile

The name Anne means full of grace. I always wanted an Annabella...graceful beauty. I'm very into the meanings of names. My sadness is that so many wonderful names have become so common. They've sort of lost their shine. Liam is a wonderful name, I think. I like Irish names too. Erin is a wonderful name. This is, believe it or not, one of my favorite topics.

smile

Mason, Daniel, Emily, Benjamen, Chloe, Zoe, Christian, Penelope... good ones.
          I like fun ones too... I know the stars name their kids some stupid names, but Gwyneth Paltrow named her kid Apple and I actually think it's kinda cute.

3. Aime F profile image70
    Aime Fposted 9 years ago

Female: Imogen, Abigail, Anna, Ivy

Male: Ezra, Oliver, Oscar, Alfie

I seem to be into old-fashioned vowel names...

I like those. Imogene and Oliver... good ones.

What about Fiona? I know it's Shreky, but man that's a good name.

1. profile image0

I like it...and I loved Shrek. smile  I don't particularly care for this one, but there is an actress named Fionnula (yikes) Flannagan.

You know a name that I really like? Winston. Because of Churchill, it always conjures an image of fortitude.

I had the funniest dream about Lord Farquaad. My friends at work were dying when I told them, and they made me keep telling ppl the story for weeks to come. It was so odd.

1. profile image0

He's one of my favorites, although the best ever villain prince is Humperdinck, of course. smile You'll have to share the dream when you can. I'm always interested in crazy dreams.

It contains a British accent so I'm not sure it would translate here to be quite as funny.
              I do believe it was influenced by our debates here on HPs. smile

2. profile image0
        Mel92114posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Fiona is a name that I've always loved and the one I was going to list here! It's just so British to me, I so love the British. Wow, Beth...you're in my head...better wear a helmet! big_smile

I love the name Elfie as well. I don't know why really, it just has a friendly, pleasant vibe to it that makes me smile smile

Gypsy. Yes, Gypsy. I heard this name called out in the doc's office this past week and hey, I like it!

Elfie, Ive never heard that.

Izzy... I like Izzy... that reminds me of the Grey's Anatomy girl... Her bf on the show is, Im pretty sure, the most handsome actor... ever.

This guy
          http://s1.hubimg.com/u/11886694_f1024.jpg

I am thinking if I were 16, I would have his poster on my wall... Im pretty sure he has a name.

1. profile image0

He sure is purrdy. I don't know his name either. Purdy suits him fine, I think and oddly enough when trying to call him Purdy to describe him as lovely with my country bumpkin accent, the mysterious "it" that corrects grammar and such capitalizes it. Coincidence? I think not!

You mentioned (or someone did) Gwyneth. I like that name very much.

Ok, back on track!

Yes, British names are good.

Did you ever know anyone with a funny nickname worth mentioning?

1. profile image0

Yes. I know a "Bird", a "Chunk" like on 'The Goonies', and a "Buttermilk".  I'm sure I know more but drawing blanks.

Buttermilk... haha. That's cute.

4. Aime F profile image70
    Aime Fposted 9 years ago

That would be Jeffrey Dean Morgan. He is indeed alarmingly attractive.

Though, if you were 16, he might be just a tad old for you. wink

It's like God just had all this left over good stuff and he threw it in to like... 5 different ppl.
      Alarming... good word.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)