What are the different names of God and what do they mean in the Bible?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (45 posts)
  1. Faith Reaper profile image83
    Faith Reaperposted 10 years ago

What are the different names of God and what do they mean in the Bible?

Each of the many names of God describes a different aspect of His many-faceted character.  What are some of the many names of God in the Bible?  I will start: 

El Shaddai " God Almighty"
    Jehovah Jireh "The God who provides"
    Elohim  "God ... Creator, Mighty and Strong"

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/8524670_f260.jpg

2. mattmilamii profile image61
    mattmilamiiposted 10 years ago

Dear Faith,
    In ancient Hebrew, vowels were not used when writing. This probably has a lot to do with why the vowels, YHWH, were used to form God's name. The early Israelites, out of reverence, believed that the name of God should not be spoken or spelled out. With vowels not being written... no one knew for sure how God's name should be spelled or pronounced. This same tradition is also responsible for the many descriptive names that were written in the Old Testament. The use of LORD, in all caps is usually a replacement for YHWH. This practice is known as the Tetragrammaton. When Lord, is used instead, it's generally a reference to the title Adonai. The Hebrew word Elohim, a general term, is usually rendered God. In any event, much can be gained as to His character and nature: as recoreded in the way the Hebrews understood and revered Him. 

Here is a list of the different names of God,

El Shaddai (Lord God Almighty) - first used in Gen. 17:1
    El Elyon (The Most High God) - first used in Gen. 14:18
    Adonai (Lord, Master) - first used in Gen. 15:2
    Yahweh (Lord, Jehovah) - first used in Gen. 2:4
    Jehovah Nissi (The Lord My Banner) - used only once in Exd. 17:15
    Jehovah-Raah (The Lord My Shepherd) - as used in Psalm 23
    Jehovah Rapha (The Lord That Heals) - as is used in Exd. 15:26
    Jehovah Shammah (The Lord Is There) - used once in Ezekiel 48:35   
    Jehovah Tsidkenu (The Lord Our Righteousness) - first used in Jer. 23:6
    Jehovah Mekoddishkem (The Lord Who Sanctifies You) - only appears twice... first in Exd. 31:13
    El Olam (The Everlasting God) - first used in Gen. 21:33
    Elohim (God) - first used in Gen. 1:1... appears over 2000 times in Old Testament
    Qanna (Jealous) - first used in Exd. 20:5 
    Jehovah Jireh (The Lord Will Provide) - only once in Gen. 22:14
    Jehovah Shalom (The Lord Is Peace) - only once in Judges 6:24
    Jehovah Sabaoth (The Lord of Hosts) - first used in 1Samuel 1:3

Blessings

Faith Reaperposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Dear mattmilamii,  Thank you so much for answering.  I belief you have covered it!  You have included the three I started out with and then some!  God bless.

2. Romeos Quill profile image76
      Romeos Quillposted 10 years agoin reply to this

@ mattmilami
      YHWH are consonants, not vowels ( probably a typo; I make them all the time. I hope you would do the same for me in relation to important commentary ).
      Kind Regards,
      R.Q.

3. profile image0
      Deborah Sextonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

sorry I posted here didn't mean to

3. Romeos Quill profile image76
    Romeos Quillposted 10 years ago

Good Morning Dearest Faith,

There is still much debate about the name of God, amongst scholars, even today. This is what I found, and trust that this will be helpful to you. Viz:-

And God said unto Moses, “ I am that I AM “; and He said, “ Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, ‘ I am Hath sent me unto you’.” Exodus 3:14 ( King James Version ).

Also, “ Ehyeh Asher Ehyeh “ – “ I am/will be what I am/will be “  ( Complete Jewish Bible ).
    “ Ehyeh “ is a first person singular imperfect form of the verb; the name by which God is known to Himself; a personal name of divine, self-identification.
    There is no proper translation of the word ‘ Asher ‘, into English as far as I’m aware, because Hebrew translation denotes action, not time.
    His proper name is  ‘ YHWH ‘, transliterated as ‘ Jehovah ‘.
    The personal name of God is ‘ Ehyeh ‘, which in English, is ‘ I Am ‘.

Take Care,
    R.Q. ( nom de voyage : )

1. Romeos Quill profile image76

@ mattmilamii
      Now I have your name right this time. With two ' i's '. lol!
      All the Best,
      R.Q.

2. Faith Reaper profile image83

Hi Dear Romeos, I am sorry I missed you this morning, before leaving for my commute into the City.  Thank you so much for taking the time to answer and especially with such very interesting answers here!  God bless you.  In His Love Always

3. profile image0

God's name is Yah said ee-ah
      Psalm 68:4
      Sing unto God, sing praises to his name: extol him that rideth upon the heavens by his name Jah, and rejoice before him.

4. Sparklea profile image60
    Sparkleaposted 10 years ago

Hi Faith, you have wonderful, wonderful answers here. 

This is a Great Question...which I would have a hard time answering because I have always referred to God, as "God" or the "I Am".  Of course I've always been aware of the name Jehovah, Everlasting King, Wonderful Counselor from reading the Bible.

A long time ago I read a book by Norman Grubb titled, "Yes, I Am" that emphasized how we, as Christians, are actually carrying the Spirit of the "I Am" inside us, so that gives us a right to say, 'Yes, I AM.'   Norman Grubb passed away some time ago, he was in his nineties.  But I did have the privilege of meeting him at a Bible study.  He was a very wise man, and his books and testimonies have inspired many people over the years. 

That being said, God is God...and since I am a simple person, I guess I will always refer to Him as God.

Thank you so much for addressing this.  I learned valuable lessons today from the responses of mattmilamil and Romeo's Quill.  God bless.

1. mattmilamii profile image61
      mattmilamiiposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Dear Sparklea,
      So glad you found something of value. The better we understand, the more glory is given to Him.

Blessings

2. Faith Reaper profile image83

Hi Sparklea, yes, me too!  The Great I AM.  Thank you for sharing.  How interesting that you were able to meet Norman Grubb!  I refer to God as God too, and what made me think of all of His other names is during Christmas in the songs, those names!

@D.S. P.S. It gets complicated.Personally, I don't like to use the name 'Jehovah', as it has a dubious background for its formation.I'l just stick with G-d. smile

4. profile image0

YHWH are all vowels not consonants
      Said: ee-ah-oo-eh
      ee is the y sound in levy
      ah is the sound of the a in father
      oo is the sound of the os in mood
      eh is the sound of the e in set

5. profile image0
    Deborah Sextonposted 10 years ago

God’s name is Yah. The only place it says His name is in Psalm
    Psalm 68:4
    Sing unto God, sing praises to his name: extol him that rideth upon the heavens by his name Jah, and rejoice before him.

There is no J in Hebrew. In the English Bible they translate it incorrectly as Jah but it is Yah.

In Hebrew a name and the character of someone or something is the same thing. These are God’s attributes. The name tells us the nature and substance of the person or thing named

Hebrew is read from right to left. Here are a  few name/attributes of God and their meaning

ADONAI means Lord

EL-SHADDAI..God Almighty

EL-OLAM The everlasting God

EL-ELYON The most high God

YHVH-GMOLAH The God of Recompense

YHVH-SHALOM The God of peace

Eheieh=I am that I am-Most divine and pure

Eheieh Chasdi=My kindness

Eheieh Kedem=The Beginning-He is eternal No one was before him.

Kedoshim=Holy

Chaiyim=Living

Eheieh Mishpat=Justice

Selichot=Forgiveness

Marom=High Places

Jehovah is not God's name, it is a mistransliteration of YHWH/YHVH

God's name is very important

1. Romeos Quill profile image76

A ' translation ' gives the meaning of a word from a different language. A ' transliteration ' gives the word from a different language in letters that one can understand, so as to be able to pronounce it correctly.Your list are epithets,not names

2. profile image0

I speak Hebrew and names/attributes and a characteristic of the person or thing are all the same.
      Jehovah is not how you pronounce YHVH/YHWH

@ DS.The original pronunciation of YHWH was lost hundreds of years ago, that is why modern Judaism substitutes 'Yahweh' with 'Adonai'.Jehovah is the Anglicized form of YHVH/YHWH. An epithet highlights different aspects of Himself in His various roles

4. Faith Reaper profile image83

Hi Deborah, God's name is certainly very important!  Thank you for answering.  Hi Romeos, thank you for the clarification!  God bless you both!.

5. profile image0

Just a couple of  letters in the Hebrew alphabet has changed. All these YHWH/YHVH are vowels and are the same today accept the W. The reason they called God  Adonai was so as not to speak God's name not because they didn't know how.

6. Writer Fox profile image32
      Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The God of Israel only has one name and it is: יהוה.  All of these letters are consonants and Biblical Hebrew has no vowels.  I don't know why Deborah claims to speak Hebrew when it is so clear that she cannot.

7. profile image0

God has many names. I wrote Hebrew phonetically under your post.and you couldn't read it. Anyone who can speak Hebrew should know what it says. It is the sound of the words. But you couldn't read it. Oh, I also speak Greek. Stop pretending, It's ugly

8. M. Allison profile image61
      M. Allisonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Deborah,
      Psalm 68:4 is one of the places where God's name is mentioned, but not the only place. The personal name of God, Yahweh, or Jehovah, appears almost 7,000 times in the Old Testament, or Hebrew Scriptures.

9. profile image0
      Deborah Sextonposted 9 years agoin reply to this

M. Allison, I was saying in the English bible, "Yah only appears once as Jah in Psalms. The Jewish bible written in Hebrew gives all the names God is called + His personal Name YHVH, and Yah. Read before commenting

10. Writer Fox profile image32
      Writer Foxposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You know, Deborah, what I don't understand is why you use a picture of Ashley Benson (from Pretty Little Liars) as your avatar picture and claim on HP that that is really a picture of you? http://sandy.claws.free.fr/avatar/ashley-benson

I think, by

11. profile image0
      Deborah Sextonposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Fox, Not hardly, I've never heard of Ashley. Show me please. Here are my pictures. Show me ones of Ashley Like mine
      http://deborah-sexton.hubpages.com/hub/ … ical-Chart

12. Writer Fox profile image32
      Writer Foxposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I think you damage your credibility – especially when answering questions about the Bible. To quote yourself, "Stop pretending, It's ugly." Ashley's pictures are all over Pinterest. See pics at this link: goo.gl/Ngm3ye

6. welch moore profile image60
    welch mooreposted 10 years ago

God answers to his name and all the names of God bring miracles

Hello welch moore,  thank you so much for answering.  Yes, indeed!

2. profile image0

You are so right Watch that's why we must know it Read my hub about the Hebrew letters http://deborah-sexton.hubpages.com/hub/ … In-Writing

7. Writer Fox profile image32
    Writer Foxposted 10 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/8562822_f260.jpg

God only has one name and this is it:
    יהוה

He said, "This is My name for ever, and this is My memorial [name] unto all generations."
    (See Exodus 3:13-15)

The actual name of God is used for the first time in the text of the second chapter of the Book of Genesis.  There is no other name for God.  Biblical Hebrew has no vowels, and these four letters are consonants. I have a Hub about the Hebrew alphabet which you may read for further explanation of the language. You can go to that resource using the Table of Contents and learn about each letter of God's name:
    http://writerfox.hubpages.com/hub/Jewis … ew-Letters

The actual name of God is a unique Hebrew word because it is made up of four consonant letters and all other Hebrew words are from root words of three consonants.

The actual pronunciation of God's name is only used publicly during the Yom Kippur prayer services.  This is in keeping with the third of the Ten Commandments in which God forbids "taking His name in vain" (Exodus 20:7). All transliterations of God's name into the English language are entirely wrong.

All other references to God in the Hebrew Bible are to personality traits or are respectful references in reverence. In modern Hebrew and in Jewish communities throughout the world, His name is simply referred to as 'HaShem' which means, 'The Name' and is a substitute for יהוה, the actual name of God.)  Again, this is done so that His actual name is not taken in vain as happens to the gods of other religions where names of their gods are used in offhand remarks or are actually used as curse words.

You may never learn how to pronounce his name correctly, but you may always address him as "the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob" (Exodus 3:15). However, it should be remembered that it is primarily important to listen to what God has said before one addresses Him. 

And His promise to you is, "You will seek Me and find Me when you search for Me with all your heart" (Jeremiah 29:13 and see also Deuteronomy 4:28-30).

Thanks so much, Writer Fox, for answering.  Very interesting.

2. profile image0

YHWH are vowels and said ee-ah-oo-ah
      You do know some vowels and consonants are interchangeable.His name is Yah (ee-ah) and found in Psalm 68:4

3. Writer Fox profile image32

Hi Faith: Thank you.
      To Deborah: The four Hebrew letters which form the name of the God of Israel are not vowels; they are consonants.  The name of God is not found is Psalm 68:4.  And your transliteration is incorrect as well. You've been misled.

4. profile image0

God's name is found in Psalms 68:4. English have it Jah but it's Yah. You would have to speak Hebrew to know Yod, Vav, and Heh are Long vowels or Vowels letter. When you learn Hebrew come back

5. Writer Fox profile image32

I live in Israel and I speak Hebrew.  Deborah, you're information is incorrect and the name of God is not found in Psalm 68:4.  Find a Hebrew teacher where you live.  There are no vowels in Biblical Hebrew and your transliterations are wrong.

6. profile image0
      JoelMcLendonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I was born in Israel and I'm Hebrew. Deborah is correct. Yod, Vav, and Heh are vowel letters aka consonant vowels. They are used as consonants and vowels. The secret to enunciating the name. You might look up the name Yah

7. profile image0

I can believe you live in Israel, but not that you speak Hebrew. I speak it fluently and lived in Savyon and studied Hebrew nearby. If you speak Hebrew you would know about Yod, Vav, Heh and the name Yah

8. profile image0

Fox I’m using phonetics, what am I saying?
      Bevakasha, Ata yakhol laazor li? beyt hamirkahat?

9. Writer Fox profile image32

That is not a known language.
        לא תשא את שם יהוה אלהיך, לשוא:  כי לא ינקה יהוה, את אשר ישא את שמו לשוא.

10. profile image0

I am using English letters to pronounce Hebrew words. Anyone can go to a translator and get the Hebrew words as you did. If you can't understand what I have written you can't speak Hebrew. I thought not. Stop pretending

11. Writer Fox profile image32

Nobody who speaks Hebrew uses the English alphabet to communicate in Hebrew.  It's a pity you couldn't read what I wrote because there is a judgment and it falls on you.

12. profile image0

The Hebrew word for peace is שלום
      When we write Shalom , it is not a translation but it is how you write Phonetically the way it sounds. If we translate it in writing it is peace.

13. profile image0
      JoelMcLendonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You do write phonetically to express pronunciation of words in other languages, and you should know what she said. Hint, it starts out "Excuse me," Now you finish what she said Fox
      She can read what you wrote

14. profile image0

I have written a hub on God's name explaining the YHVH letters
      http://deborah-sexton.hubpages.com/hub/ … ame-Of-God

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)