The 13th Floor

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (13 posts)
  1. Jacqueline4390 profile image82
    Jacqueline4390posted 9 years ago

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/12003724.jpg During early construction of skyscrapers, there were warning against creating buildings that included a 13 Floor. "Reasons for omitting a thirteenth floor include triskaidekaphobia on the part of the building's owner or builder, or a desire by the building owner or landlord to prevent problems that may arise with superstitious tenants, occupants, or customers" (Wikipedia.) Today, many buildings have floors designated as 13th.

Would you reside on the 13th floor or in room 13? Why or why not?

Jacqueline4390posted 9 years agoin reply to this

According to Wikipedia: Triskaidekaphobia (from Greek tris meaning "3", kai meaning "and", deka meaning "10" and phobos meaning "fear" or "morbid fear") is fear of the number 13 and avoidance to use it.

2. Millionaire Tips profile image90
      Millionaire Tipsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I worked on the 13th floor, didn't have any problems.  When we moved there, we knew that the ladders on the fire engines could only go up to the 13th floor.  It is actually safer to be on 13th floor instead of higher.

3. profile image51
      snhsbposted 9 years agoin reply to this

14th floor is looking just like 13th when we see to the structure starting point its definitely 1 then from 1 to 14 if you not show the 13 then 14th is also like 13th according to the math counting sequence like 1.2.3....12..14 equal to 13th then what can u do it automatically stand on 13th

I think it is more of a "mind-set" when some people don't actually see #13 even when in reality is it there but it is not referred to as #13.

4. Paul K Francis profile image85
      Paul K Francisposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I do not know if this conversation ever really took place (I got it from the movie), but I like Jim Lovell's, the leader of the Apollo 13 mission, response to his wife's concern about the number 13. He said, "It comes after twelve."

5. AshtonFirefly profile image69
      AshtonFireflyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I would. Superstitions and their origins intrigue me. I'm not particularly concerned about the number 13, but if I was, it would be all the more reason for me to attempt to stay at room 13 on the 13th floor. Just to see what happened and make a note about it.  I've done similar things with other superstitions I had and it proved quite interesting. For the most part, it seems that people's expectations shape their perceptions about events surrounding the particular superstitious element to fit their expectations. But I've had my share of personal weird phenomena directly related to [sort of] common superstitions, well before I was aware that they were [sort of] common at all.

2. Kiss andTales profile image59
    Kiss andTalesposted 9 years ago

There is nothing to fear .but fear itself. People listen and create their own fears based on superstitions that people create for them self.
    If I decided I would if it was a beautiful view of nature and tree, and lighted up surroundings .

Just out of curiosity, what if you heard that there were a number of unexplained mishaps associated with a hotel that had a 13th floor; it had a breathtaking view from the balcony of room 1313; would you decide to stay there for a visit?

1. Kiss andTales profile image59
        Kiss andTalesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Well just say no one informed me I would be just fine ,but if some one said that unexplained things were happening I would be cautious . Why ? It could be the spirit realm of bad angles causing the problems many call them ghost. They are very old if you want to say ancient they are. They point is to scare you and make you in fear of what you do not know. Since I know they are behind the many problems . I leave it up to the highest supreme being of the universe to handle the matter.
        There is a scripture that says. Reference Bible Ro 10:13 For “everyone who calls on the name of Jehovah will be saved.” 
        Reference Bible Jas 2:19 You believe there is one God, do you? You are doing quite well. And yet the demons believe and shudder.

Lu 4:33, 34 Now in the synagogue there was a man with a spirit, an unclean demon, and he shouted with a loud voice:34“Ah! What have we to do with you, Jesus the Naz·a·reneʹ? Did you come to destroy us? I know exactly who you are, the Holy One of God.”

They are very active today and yes they do scare people but they are more afraid of who loves and care about us.
        So for me I put my trust in my God Jehovah. ( Psalms 83:18). Get to know him. He loves you!

FYI, I do know Him. My discussions are here to stimulate interest and get people into thinking and not to be judgmental (I have been a Bible scholar since age 10.)

3. Kiss andTales profile image59
    Kiss andTalesposted 9 years ago

Well there are many people that live and experience these things. But we are not alone in how we can be free from the unknown.
    I had a mom who was raised superstitious .she believed you are not to let a women in your door the  first  day of New Year's Day. They call it bad luck. You are not to sweep any ones feet. Because you will sweep their life away. I found that out the hard way I was looking up after I did it .and it was only then I found out why, lol!
    But I learn truth about all of that and I am free from all superstitions.

4. Cheeky Kid profile image97
    Cheeky Kidposted 9 years ago

I would. 13 is one of my favorite numbers after all. For me, it's lucky instead of unlucky or whatever dark rumor the world has about it. big_smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)