Together We Stand …

Jump to Last Post 1-1 of 1 discussions (12 posts)
  1. Jacqueline4390 profile image82
    Jacqueline4390posted 9 years ago

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/12156577.jpg
    I think that it’s extremely sad that people are finding more and more reasons to throw up the “this was done because I am …” and you can fill in the blanks yourself. There comes a time when we the people need to embrace our differences and not use them as an excuse to gain sympathy … empathy … or whatever! I choose my friends because of their intelligence, enthusiasm, courage, positive outlooks on life and willingness to listen/share! And—if they happen to be a different race than I am—well that’s an ADDED BONUS!

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I totally agree.  It's all a bunch of excuses, and no matter the race, nationality or religion, all of it is basically a lack of personal responsibility and morality.

I taught school for many years.  It was then that I saw problems coming for kids of all races.  The system began to allow them to misbehave and break rules with few if any consequences...thanks to all the do gooders in the world.  What we have as a result, now, is a society that does not expect consequences and wants to blame everything on somebody else.  You see it right here on HP...and we are all adults here.

If people don't wake up and learn civility and morality, this whole world will die off..it's happening already.  Heartbreaking!

Jacqueline4390posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes ... very heartbreaking ... the extinction of man (and not by technology ... or maybe technology is to blame. All the violent movies and video games just fans the flames)

2. rhamson profile image70
      rhamsonposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Celebrating one's differences has nothing to do with uniting anything. Even as you state there is a need to congregate with like minded individuals. It would then be more in keeping to celebrate what we have in common. If there are differences then that should be a side note and accepted as part of the whole person.

I believe that celebrating one's differences as a lot to do with it. If I ate mashed potatoes and eggs every day I would soon learn to despair but every time I added variety to the meal it would give me that extra lift. I can understand your point of view but perhaps it should be share without totally disclaiming the views of others.

1. rhamson profile image70

But the crux of the matter is that celebrating a difference is in effect distinguishing apart from rather than relating too. It is fine to be different and have respect for the differences between yourself and others but to relate to each other on the same level is what binds and not separate. If I ate mashed potatoes and eggs I could truly relate to your penchant for them. We would have a common thread. But if I ate french fries and bacon how could that relate or help us really know the other?

I don't mean celebrating in the general sense perhaps the term I am looking for is respect or appreciate it. As far as liberty is concerned we are equal but there are distinct differences in our character and practices. When the Europeans came to America they considered the Native Americans as savages. This was because they equated their practices with their own. But in reality they were different and because of their environment their customs required a different lifestyle.

Understanding the unique culture, dialect and heritage is what I mean when I refer to "celebrating" and not in any other sense.

I accept your explanation and definition. My only take was to distinguish what binds us and not separate. America is made up of so many diverse cultures, languages and races that if we were to become a respecter of all of the differences we would very quickly drift apart and begin criticizing and blaming others for all its woes. We all have a love of family, security, community and opportunity. When any one of those principles is compromised we should be alarmed and united in rectifying it.

I understand your generalization but I would believe that some of us would be able to appreciate those differences and not totally "count them out." True, there are some customs that I don't necessarily agree with but I just move on. I suppose there are some people who have not "evolved", so to speak, to that phase of development but that is their unfortunate state of affairs. As long as there is no violation of a person's liberty, no threat to the safety of the country or a community, and it doesn't impose sanctions that are in violation to the right to worship then I am not in conflict. I suppose that my method of thinking has become less cynical since I have gotten older. I find life much to precious to look for the negative.

There is nothing negative in my depiction either. As a matter of fact it goes farther. You can never appreciate another's feelings or frailties unless you live in their skin. So why not find common ground to celebrate. My indications of love of family etc. is just the tip of what people have in common and should celebrate. No two people can agree on cultural, racial or religious controversies so why make it a point of celebration. Instead look to the good and relate to what we do share. I too have mellowed with age but we all like to live in harmony at some point in our lives.

As you stated, no two people can agree ... and I will leave it at that!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)