Obama - Yes or No ?

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (80 posts)
  1. Army Infantry Mom profile image61
    Army Infantry Momposted 14 years ago

I am just curious to know, if their is any hubbers that disagree with Obama and actually believe electing him was a huge mistake ? And if not, would you be open to hearing the reasons why many oppose him ? Just curious,...

1. Ron Montgomery profile image60
      Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There have been many forum posts on this subject.  You might start by reviewing these.

Army Infantry Momposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I did review a few handful's of them, but I had'nt found one person who seems to think Obama is wrong for the U.S. Perhaps I will keep reviewing,..LOL

2. lrohner profile image69
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

For what it's worth, AIM, I don't think he's the right man for the job. Matter of fact, I didn't vote for him. That said, I was the poster child for wanting an African-American or woman in office, and was totally disheartened to see the choices we had. I do love his laid-back, "I'm just an average guy" style, but that doesn't make him a presidential candidate.

Wow,..Nice to know I am not the only one,...I have many concerns about where he is taking our country, but if every one adores him it's useless to even speak of my concern's.

1. Eaglekiwi profile image74
        Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Actually except for Fierycj thread most threads seems to be kinda against Pres.Obama

I would have voted for Irohner smile or PGrundy

1. lrohner profile image69
          lrohnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

BIG HEART Kiwi! Although I have 2 admit, I probably would've voted pgrundy. PGRUNDY FOR PREZZIE 2012! Let's make it a grass roots movement!

Making the banners as we speak smile

2. tksensei profile image59
        tksenseiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Why would it be useless?

3. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Oh yeah, electing Obama was a huge mistake. At the same time, electing McCain would have been a huge mistake too. smile

The only chance for change was ignoring elections altogether, what I kept saying to everybody, and everybody ignored it. smile

1. profile image0
      fierycjposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Is that your Russian humour at play.

fiery I like ya new pic btw smile HOT and passionate

1. profile image0
          fierycjposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You're so womanly, Kiwi...best way I can describe you. smile thanks.

2. Misha profile image63
        Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No, you can search forums, and see that I was saying exactly the same thing a year ago smile

3. Ambition profile image61
        Ambitionposted 14 years agoin reply to this

yes he always gave diplomatic answers.

1. Misha profile image63

This had nothing to do with diplomacy. I meant exactly what I said, and still mean it. Only if enough people did not show up for elections to make them invalid, would the powers to be have taken a note something did not work... smile

2. Army Infantry Mom profile image61

Ya, I was'nt for McCain either, I like your idea of ignoring the elections all together.

1. SparklingJewel profile image66
        SparklingJewelposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Naw! come on! where's the good ole American Spirit! We don't want to ignore elections...we just need to create the ones we want!
        Like, for instance, we need to kick most of the ones we have now OUT! and give thorough vetting to those that want to try another round...see if they can get it right. If they don't cut it...then when try some new ones. It is us citizens that need to get smarter and the government that needs to get smaller! and less and less manipulative, and remember who is working for who!  HOO-RAH ! big_smilebig_smilebig_smilebig_smilebig_smilebig_smilebig_smilebig_smile

"For the People" hell yeaaaaaaaaa >>this wee guy is really applauding smile

2. Misha profile image63

Jewel, are you being sarcastic? smile

Hey Misha,

No I am not sarcastic, I mean it all. I have been doing a lot of reading about the constitution and the original intent thereof. IT is absurd where our government has and is taking us against the original intent of the Declaration of Independence, the US Constitution and the Bill of Rights.

Citizens need to wake up, stand up and speak out before it gets any further down the road and too many more people are totally lost as to the purposes of American Freedoms.

1. Misha profile image63

Well, the good ole American spirit was long sold for an illusion of safety... sad

3. Army Infantry Mom profile image61

I think we think alike,..

My favorite quote is :
          "The constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instument for the people to restrain the government"
          ~ Patrick Henry - American Revolutionary Soldier

HOOAH !!!!!!!

3. Eaglekiwi profile image74

lol misha ,but apparently it was the biggest voter turnout in US History ?... for many years anyway.

Oh and if im old enough next elections , I will vote YES for Obama ( at this stage anyway)

It was the biggest voter turnout because: #1 The blacks were, for the most part, gonna vote for him even if he was a closet serial killer; and #2 the whites felt that they assuage their guilt from the slavery era by voting for him. What was missing was, is he really the right guy? Or is he just an intelligent, politically-savvy, well-spoken black guy?

I don't know if this is real or not, but listen anyway: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20LmZoM4LFc

He was and is all the above, but just another president that allowed big business and power elites to take charge, while he is the "hump" for show and tell!

Well said, SJ.

2. Eaglekiwi profile image74

Hmmm...makes it difficult then to see , that possibly the American people were tired of Bush n his cronies?

I think George Bush ( and my opinion is purely from media coverage of news etc) that his first term was ok ,but 2nd term messy...also Patriotism  was at an all time high 2001 , which helped propped G.Bush ,least it sure looked that way Internationally.
          If he was my neighbor I would have liked the guy , but he seemed more of a 'yes' man ,and I Obama doesnt strike me as being that way....maybe  Irohner it was the race card ( not just the blacks , but most other immigrants too,).

3. Army Infantry Mom profile image61

Very Intresting,.. Wish I would of thought to run my poll questions like that back then, and people call Howard stupid,..LOL

4. curiozities profile image61
      curiozitiesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I held my nose and voted McCain.  He wasn't my first choice--it was Mitt Romney, and then Fred Thompson, then Duncan Hunter.  But one thing I will say about McCain, re the motto on his campaign bumper sticker, "Country First."  No one can question his truly putting his country before himself in Vietnam, in a way few others have ever done.

McCain was'nt my choice personally,..But what he did for our country, I totally respect and sincerly appreciate his courage and strength.

5. Ultimate Hubber profile image70
      Ultimate Hubberposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Seems like a good thing .... but what next? who would have been in power if people have ignored elections? You need some one to run the country.

4. flread45 profile image59
    flread45posted 14 years ago

I think he isn't going to help the U.S. out one bit and be voted out in four years.
    I will vote for Mark Knowles as he might turn this realestate mess around.smile

5. spidergirl364 profile image58
    spidergirl364posted 14 years ago

I really dissapprove of Obama, for the fact that I believe hes taking all our money.  I watch Glenn Beck almost everyday, and you should hear his take on Obama.  I agree mostly on Beck with everything.

Who is Beck?

Fox News Channel and talk radio personality.

Often satirized on "The Daily Show"

I catch the Glen Beck show quite often myself however I disagreed with him when he said Ron Paul supporters were terrorists,..LOL. I also believe Obama is not only wrong, I can see him taking the U.S. down as we know it.

6. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 14 years ago

Joining late to this debate. Worst criticism I've seen thusfar of Obama is,"Or is he just an intelligent, politically-savvy, well-spoken black guy?"
    Uh -- what else does one need in a president?
    Intelligent. Check.
    Politically savvy. Check.
    Well spoken. Check.

I for one do not think it would be a waste of time to hear arguments against Obama. As long as they are legitimate and not ridiculous and petty like him not wearing a flag pin (which, btw, he has been doing).

black? 1/2 check.

I found some intresting but scary stuff regaurding Obama, just wanted to test the water's first and see how many sharks were in the water,..LOL.

7. profile image0
    Star Witnessposted 14 years ago

O yes.

8. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

LOL

9. bgpappa profile image79
    bgpappaposted 14 years ago

yes and yes

I thought you'd say that,..Aliens are a pretty dam smart race.

10. SweetiePie profile image82
    SweetiePieposted 14 years ago

I like Obama and I am a very educated voter.  I do not consider myself a sheeple either.  I will continue to admire the man, but if others do not that is their choice.  Also, I have heard many of the propaganda against Obama, but some of it is quite slanted to one agenda.  Of course some think Obama supporters are slanted to, but everyone has their own propaganda.  I still believe in the two party system and voting for the best candidate out there, and for me Obama was the man.  I am not drinking koolaid, simply a thoughtful person who likes Obama.

And you know what,..I totally respect your views and thoughts. I hope one day I will see the good in him that you see,..I just can't promise to hold my breath,..LOL (Smiles)

And humble. Don't forget humble.

1. SweetiePie profile image82
        SweetiePieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You tell me not to take your posts seriously, but have you noticed how you dissect those who do not agree with you.  People will just be more convinced about what they believe as you continue to do so. One thing I would like to say is if you do not agree with me, do not read what I have to say.

1. tksensei profile image59

I didn't tell you that. You are thinking about someone else. And how can there be an exchange of ideas if you say "if you don't agree with me don't read what I say"? Do you really want to communicate exclusively with people who already agree with you?

3. hglick profile image81
      hglickposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Why do you like Obama? Is it because he is good looking?  Educated?
      Well Spoken?
      Because he certainly is not a good leader

You can punch holes in everything the man says

Just read this hub by Karrl and If you don't believe what he writes about, do your own research, and you will find that Obama has lied about everything
      http://hubpages.com/hub/Why-Believe-Obama-on-Healthcare

11. SweetiePie profile image82

I do not expect anyone too.  I am a Democrat for reasons because I have read widely and come to conclusion this is the best functioning party under the two party system.  I admire some third party candidates of past years like Nader and Perot, but voting for any one of them is like throwing a vote away, in my mind's eye anyway.  When people say they are scared of Obama that does concern me though.  I think a lot of propaganda out there wants people to feel that way, and as Roosevelt said the only thing to fear is fear itself.

12. SweetiePie profile image82

Howard Stern sort of irkes me though, and he is a sensationalist.  I listened to his show, but I just find myself not agreeing with much he said.  The only reason I am speaking here is because over the last several days I have had several people who disagree with my political stances follow me around, and try to make me feel silly for these.  I shall not succumb to their tactics, but maybe I should make my own thread about how I like Obama.  Of course I am sure they would have a field day with that lol.

I love reading your remarks,..You are so spunky and always try to bring the best outlook to things,...don't let those with closed mind's get under your skin,..Smiles

I always appreciate reading your posts too smile.

13. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 14 years ago

Maybe the only thing to fear is fear itself, but that mindset doesn't always do the trick.  Perhaps the Jewish people prior to the Holocaust thought, "No need to fear Hitler; the only thing to fear is fear itself?"

Truthfully, Obama scared my wife and me LONG before he was elected. And it's not because of any propaganda; it's because of his policies.

He's antigun (except for people with guns who protect him, of course--and I give them kudos for that).  I'm progun.

He's for mandatory health insurance, which I adamantly oppose. (Partly because I'm pretty much against mandatory ANYTHING.)

On the other hand, I'm pro choice, so I can't disagree with him all the way around.

He doesn't scare me any more, though.  I don't believe in being scared about something you can't change.  As in deal with it.  So what will be, will be.

I also disagree that McCain-Palin would have been a bad thing--we voted for 'em--but while We The People were obviously able to ignore color in the last election (and that's a good thing), I really doubt we were able to ignore McCain's case of lumpjaw.  THAT is the thing that scared me the most about McCain.

14. SweetiePie profile image82

To me the fear of Obama seems out of place.  I would have been disappointed to see McCain and Palin elected, but not afraid.  In the past people never said they were fearful when Clinton, Bush, or any others that were elected.  I try not to live my life in fear, and it was my educated choice to vote for Obama.  However, this is not a pro-Obama thread, so I probably should leave before people try to chide me for feeling this way:).  I like Obama's policies, which is another reason I voted for him.

15. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Fear? I did not see fear of Obama. I see growing anger...

16. SweetiePie profile image82

Some people who oppose Obama periodically say they are afraid of him, as if he is the alien other.  Yes those who favor him have dropped in polls, but he still has a large constituency in favor of his policies.  Even if his favor in the polls does drop I will continue to support him as he was my choice candidate.  As far back as 2007 I already favored him over Hillary as I was listen and reading what both had to say.  I am a Democrat and some people may not like that, but as I said I believe in working within the system. 

Our political system may have flaws, but overall it has served us well since the inception of our country.  Liberal thinking Democrats are looking to improve things such as attempting to pass universal health care, which is something I have supported since it was talked about back in 1993.  I pretty much have thought about these things since 1992 when I was only fourteen and not old enough to vote, but I really wanted to.  Maybe I should try to get a job in Washington lol.  I am probably too old for that at this point.

No matter what? There is nothing that could happen - or not happen - that would change your support for him? You have said you are not drinking Koolaide, so...

No I have not been drinking the Koolaid, and people who throw that expression out just to use it are sort of not sensitive towards others.  I like Obama's policies and I am a life long Democrat.  I thought Clinton was a great president and I continued to support him even after the Monica thing because of his policies, and not because of what he did in his sex life.  I am not very fickle when it comes to my political leanings, and some people are just less certain about what they stand for. 

Also, people saying we should be against Obama actually make me more the opposite. When people tell me I should feel differently I usually am more convinced of my stance.

I'm sorry but you didn't answer my question.

Here it is again:

No matter what? There is nothing that could happen - or not happen - that would change your support for him?

I really do not feel like answering it because it is provocative.  However, if you want to answer this question go ahead: will you ever stop trying to change my political views or question me in general? I know you have a problem with me, but if you stop reading what I have to say you might be able to discuss your dislike of Obama with several others on the thread.  Quite a few here share your opinions, so you should go respond to their posts.

You seem to have a 'unique' attitude toward communication. It's unfortunate. I don't "have a problem" with you personally, but I find your hypersensitivity and disinclination to discuss divergent points of view counter productive. But, whatever floats your boat I guess.

Less picking at those who do not follow your world view would do wonders.  I do read what others have to say, but when people need to quote me and prove how wrong I am I begin to tune them out.  One person was even quoting me to prove how wrong I was several days after I left a forum, and I do not consider that a conversation.  That is just wanting to have the last word.

Reading and responding to what others say sure sounds like conversation to me. Simply making declarations and demanding that they be accepted whole cloth with no reaction or analysis lest you feel 'attacked' or 'offended' is not condusive to discussion. This attitude precludes the opportunity to see what others think and to clarify your own positions; positive benefits of 'discussion' versus 'declaration.'

Even Army Infantry Girl who does not agree with me has done so in a positive and productive way.  I never declare anything or force people to accept my opinions, simply share what I believe.  On the other hand tk your quoting people is too assertive, for a few anyway, and you have lost a few people that would discuss things with you.  I am actually one of the people that did not agree with you that has stuck around because I realized this is just your style.  If I were as hypersensitive as you think I am I would simply not post at all.

How about Conservative thinking Republicans? Would you agree that they are trying to improve things too?

Conservative Republicans want to improve things according to their agenda, which I have never supported.  At least I am being honest about my opinions.  I must say you should go dissect the posts of those that follow your line of thinking more.  By the way, you butchered my quote because I said Liberal Democrats are in support of improving things such as health care.  Quoting is overrated.  Respecting divergent opinions would really be cool, on your part.

Ok, just like the Democrats then. Agreed.

2. rastrother profile image40
          rastrotherposted 14 years agoin reply to this

oh and democrats don't do that? if you are always right and every one else is wrong, i see why agruments always seem to get started when your in the thread?

17. SweetiePie profile image82

I have never pretended not to have my own political agenda, just as many people have theirs.

I wasn't referring to you personally, but I would say ALL people have theirs.

18. profile image61
    logic,commonsenseposted 14 years ago

How can you tell them apart?  All they really want to do is run for reelection.
    Obama is proving to be just another politician, just as many of us knew him to be!
    Witness the recent attack on the police.

19. Pamda Man profile image58
    Pamda Manposted 14 years ago

Live Championship Match: Obama vs Osama

Osama just punched Obama hard in the face! That must hurt! Oh, but wait, Obama strikes back! Oh, Osama is down! 1! 2! 3! 4...

We will return shortly after the commercial. Stay tuned.

LMAO,...Thanks,.It was much needed.

20. Greek One profile image64
    Greek Oneposted 14 years ago

I dont get a vote, but I think Americans showed how intelligent they can be as a group when they electing Obama.

As I'm not from the US, I'm neither Republican or Democrat, but when compared to the last guy you had in office, Obama should be on Mount Rushmore

And if the other guy had won we wouldn't be "intelligent"?

Based on what he has accomplished thus far? Which would be...?

21. Pamda Man profile image58
    Pamda Manposted 14 years ago

Fun Fact: Obama's predecessor was the wife of Osama. To put it in a way, Osama > Obama, but I'm sure Obama's life expectancy is longer.

22. BJC profile image68
    BJCposted 14 years ago

Obama spent almost 2 trillion dollars his first 100 days in office.  He rushed through the first stimulus package so the senators had no time to read it.  He has lied about the healthcare bill not funding abortions - it will use tax dollars.  He is friends with ACORN etc.  He tells the world he is sorry.   The list could go on.

Please don't anyone respond with any comments saying the stimulus bill had to come about because of Bush. It is a proven fact approximately ten years ago the banks were coerced into loaning money to people to purchase homes who couldn't afford them.  Bush had a democratic controlled congress the last two years and they wouldn't have agreed with him if their life depended on it, so you cannot in good conscience blame him.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)