Allow author subdomain ownership for Norton to rate HubPages account

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (21 posts)
  1. ecogranny profile image83
    ecogrannyposted 9 years ago

I was delighted to find my whole wheat sourdough biscuit recipe on the first page of a Google search today. Unfortunately, Norton gave it a gray question mark, showing it is unrated and may not be safe. See the screen shot attached.

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/11962342_f1024.jpg

If I found that gray question mark on a search link, I would not click on it. Since I don't own this site, I cannot ask Norton to review and rate it. What can I do to help Norton see that my pages are safe?

Edit: Changed screen shot in hopes of making text large enough to read.

1. bravewarrior profile image86
      bravewarriorposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Maybe it just needs time and traffic in order for Norton to recognize it.

I stopped using Norton years ago and switched to McAfee. They seem to be more secure and up to date with testing, updating, and blocking viruses than Norton. I've never regretted the move from Norton to McAfee.

ecogrannyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

bravewarrior, thank you for responding. I've been on HubPages for two months now, with more than 100 hubs (transferred from Squidoo), and Norton still has not tested my subdomain. Only the owner of a site can ask Norton to test it, so I'm out of luck until HubPages fixes this problem.

Thank you for sharing your views about Norton/McAfee. I could discuss my Norton and McAfee experiences in another thread, but won't get into that here.

Ecogranny, I just typed in the title of a product description I wrote and posted on HP last year. It comes up on the first page in Google and has a green check to the right of it. I also tested a more recent article and Bravewarrior on HubPages. They have green checks, too.

Maybe you just need to be patient until Google indexes your articles.

Have you tried putting ecogranny on HubPages into the search bar to see what kind of results you get?

I did a search regarding how Norton deems sites as safe. I found this link:  https://safeweb.norton.com/

Not sure if this helps or not.

2. ecogranny profile image83

@bravewarrior, thanks again for thinking creatively about this. Yes, when I discovered this, I did try searching. While all other search engines find ecogranny.hubpages just fine, both Google and Norton Safe Search seem not to know my subdomain exists except for the links other people have made to my lenses or hubs.

When I first joined HubPages two months ago, Google continued to send traffic to my lenses-turned hubs. My pages continued to show up on Norton Safe Search, which I use most often, just fine. So I think they were indexed then.

Now I get less traffic every single day. Many of my hubs are down to zero views. Does that mean Google has de-indexed my entire subdomain? If so, what would that have to do with asking Norton to rate it?

I have never been an SEO person. I don't know what Panda or Penguin mean. I try to write good quality material about topics with which I have a history and some knowledge. I'm still updating my pages as quickly as I can get to them. I'm about half way through that process.

I hope there is a mechanism in place to let Norton know that we would like them to recognize our subdomains, since we cannot do it ourselves, not being owners of the site.

I hope one of the HubPages staff knows what it is and where I can find it will point it out to me.

ecogranny, have you added ecogranny.hubpages.com/ to your Google Webmaster tools? Maybe that's the problem. I have my HP subdomain and my blog listed in my Webmaster tools. I get reports monthly for each account and can check traffic whenever I want.

Yes, Bravewarrior, I get those reports too. This is not about checking traffic. This is about getting Norton to review my subdomain for safety so people know it's safe to click through when they find one of my hubs in a search.

2. Matthew Meyer profile image71
      Matthew Meyerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That message just says that they have not tested the domain.
      That does NOT indicate that there is any issue with the site or the content.

This isn't something over which we have control as Norton is treating each subdomain as separate.

They have a site ownership process, but it involves adding some code to confirm you own the domain/subdomain, so that is not something you can do for your subdomain at this time.

(See "Web site ownership verification tips")
      http://safeweb.norton.com/help/site_own … ting_rated

Thank you for responding, Matthew Meyer. The problem is that after nearly two and a half months, Norton still hasn't rated my subdomain, which means anyone getting one of my articles in a search is going to see that grey question mark and know the site has not been verified as safe. I don't click on links with that grey question mark, and I doubt anyone else does.

Re the link to Norton's FAQ about getting our sites rated. I actually started there, before searching the Learning Center for an answer to this problem and subsequently posting here.

As you say, I cannot add the code that verifies I am the site owner, since I am not.

Only HubPages can do that. Will you please? I would appreciate it deeply, as I'm pretty much dead in the water here without it.

1. Matthew Meyer profile image71

If you would like to make a request for a feature to be developed for the site, you can do so here.
          http://hubpages.com/forum/category/6634

I moved this one there.

3. ecogranny profile image83

Well, it's been almost five months now since I joined HubPages and all my former Squidoo lenses were transferred here. Norton still deems my subdomain, ecogranny.hubpages.com unsafe because it has not been verified.

Neither Norton nor Google find the subdomain in a search on either "ecogranny" or "ecogranny hubpages."

Both Norton and Google will return Pinterest, Facebook and other sites that link to ecogranny on HubPages, but neither return any of my pages in a search.

My traffic remains zip. Is there any way at HubPages to get that little code Norton needs from the owner of the site so Norton will begin indexing my pages, please?

1. Writer Fox profile image32
        Writer Foxposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Google shows your subdomain and 64 of your Hubs in its index: http://goo.gl/JmiYQl.

If you have more featured Hubs than that, open a Google Webmaster Tools account and submit the Hub URLs for featured Hubs that Google doesn't have.

2. Tembrooke profile image84
    Tembrookeposted 9 years ago

It sounds like this is something HubPages would have to do, since you can't register as a site owner. :-\

Yes. Exactly. Thank you, @Tembrooke.

3. Dressage Husband profile image66
    Dressage Husbandposted 9 years ago

I hope you got this solved Ecogranny I never seemed to have this problem, but I think Writer Fox made the best suggestion on this.

4. ecogranny profile image83

@Writer Fox, thank you for your advice. I'm glad to know Google can see the pages, even if it doesn't bring them up in a search.

But did you notice the little grey Norton question mark next to them? That means Norton doesn't know whether my pages are safe. This is a HUGE problem, because if Norton thinks they aren't safe, then people like me will never click on them if ever they do come up in a search.

Only HubPages can ask Norton to review the subdomain, and after all these months, it still has not done so. I am at a loss. I never had this problem on Squidoo. Many of my lenses came up above the fold on the first page of a search, and all were verified by Norton.

I would be most grateful if someone at HubPages would fix this problem so my pages can start getting traffic again. Five months is a long time to watch years of one's work going down the drain.

5. ecogranny profile image83

@Dressage Husband, thank you. I appreciate your encouraging support. As more and more of my hubs become unfeatured for lack of Google traffic, my hopes dim. Webmaster Tools, as Writer Fox mentioned, are useful only for featured hubs. I'll go through the list and see if Google missed any, but it's Norton's review that is the focus of my inquiry. With Norton showing every. last. one. of. my. hubs. as. suspect, I have little hope of ever garnering traffic here.

Just to be clear, Norton liked all my hubs when they were on Squidoo, and so did Google.

1. Writer Fox profile image32
      Writer Foxposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Try posting the problem with Norton in the Technical Forum: http://hubpages.com/forum/category/3001
      If you do that, someone on the tech staff will see it.

I don't use Norton so I didn't see a notice when I looked for your Hubs.

Better yet, try posting here: https://community.norton.com/en/forums/my-website

Thank you Writer Fox. I've already discussed with Norton and they say HubPages admin is the only answer.

1. Matthew Meyer profile image71

Norton's own site lists HubPages as safe, so there is a problem with the accuracy of the information the software is presenting to you.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)