Do you fancy doing a little sleuthing?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (48 posts)
  1. sallybea profile image93
    sallybeaposted 9 years ago

I challenge you to type your Profile name + HubPages into a search engine.  You might be very surprised to discover what it reveals.
    I put a few names of people who are well known on these forums into Google.  Just one line of their work and name will appear in a Google search engine but click on the links and you will be taken to a site, not their own but that of another person selling anything from spread betting to clip art for profit.

Now it is your turn

1. Shinkicker profile image53
      Shinkickerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I did this and it was interesting. I saw  quite a few of my links quoted in other pages, not stolen but just quoted. Nice to know some of my hubs get shared

sallybeaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hmm many of these quotes are being used to entice people in to sell something completely unrelated to the quote.

2. csmiravite-blogs profile image74
      csmiravite-blogsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yep. I saw some of my work in HubPages, and one site that mentioned my name. It was grouped with lots of unrelated links. I don't know whatever it is for,  as my readers would not be interested on those links.

That is what I find, a small piece of my work is being used to entice people into sites which are completely unrelated to my subject, usually the person trying to sell their own products.

3. Faith Reaper profile image83
      Faith Reaperposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Oh, I know, for a good while ago, I became quite disturbed for I had typed Faith Reaper on HubPages and saw my normal page here on HP, but then I started scrolling down and found sites who actually are using my hubber name and using HubPages, but there are no links to anything I write, and what they have written has nothing to do with me or anything I write.  I would not write such and plus some are, as you have stated, trying to sell stuff using our hubber name and HubPages title!!!  I call it fraud and misrepresentation.  But as soon as you find one, there is another one out in the world!  Very upsetting to me, for I do not want my name to be used on something that is not me and certainly something I would never support!

Beautifully summed up, that is exactly what I found..  What to do about it is the question:)  Don't think there is much one can do.

4. brakel2 profile image72
      brakel2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

The first time I tried it, nothing came up except my stuff. Then I realized if you keep scrolling, more pages come up. Then it started to happen. The first one was a hub quoted partially on a hairstyle article, I went no further, as it made me sick that folks are using our hubs to advertise their own information and products. I know we can't do much about it, but they could at least put links to our hubs. The Internet has gone wild. I need to check out Bing and Yahoo.

2. Elderberry Arts profile image93
    Elderberry Artsposted 9 years ago

I got links to my actual hubs but also to other pages that had quoted or shared my hubs. It was mainly one hub which is also my most popular.

Have you taken a piece of your most popular hub and put it into a Google search engine?

1. Jayne Lancer profile image91
        Jayne Lancerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes.

I'm most annoyed by a hairdressing salon in Beverly Hills that has copied about a third of one of my hubs on its website. I discovered it by entering random sentences from various hubs into Google. The salon has kept the article up despite a DMCA notice and multiple emails, including two to the website hosting provider.

I did report this to Google, and the salon's website no longer appears in search results, but it's still very annoying to see my words on that website. They've also used photos of Katie Holmes, Helen Mirren and Gordon Ramsey to illustrate the effects that can be achieved when applying the hairdressing techniques explained (by me) in the article. There is no mention of me being the author, nor is there a link to the original article. The audacity of it!

1. relache profile image72
          relacheposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I've never not been able to get a site to take material down.  Have you filed a Notice Of Infringement with the domain registrar? (Where the hair salon registered their name)

Thanks for that. The only notice I sent was to the salon, while complaining to the host, which is listed by whois. com as also being the registrar. I'll get to work on it again. This started some time ago, and I finally gave up out of frustration.

2. sallybea profile image93

I have just found another stolen one - the person is using Blogroll - do you perhaps know where I can file that one.  This particular person even has had someone post a DMCA on their Blog for the world to see and they have taken no notice of it at all.

1. Writer Fox profile image32
              Writer Foxposted 9 years agoin reply to this

What is the URL?

My pictures to painting which has been stolen by two separate people - one twice as below.  The lower one I filed a DMCA but there was no outcome.

http://kauyoreemkg6m dot mywapblog dot com/pictures-to-painting-turn-your-photograp.xhtml
                http://kauyoreemkg6m dot mywapblog dot com/atom.xml

http://sfhqeelley dot dot blox.pl/html

1. Writer Fox profile image32
                  Writer Foxposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Mywapblog is hosted by an American company.  Just send a normal DMCA request to the host: core.desk@hostdime.com

Blox.pl is a huge company in Poland and I'm sure it will honor your request.  In the subject line of your email put:  Copyright Infringement
                  Begin your email to them with this:

Pursuant to The Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works, to which Poland is a signatory, and the provisions of the Act of 4 February 1994 on Copyright and Related Rights Act of 27 July 2001, this communication serves as a statement that:

Then, just use the normal wording for a DMCA request.

Send the email to the host at: pomoc@agora.pl

Remember that both of these are the hosts and not the actual plagiarists.

Writer Fox,
                    Thank you I appreciate your help as always.
                    Will deal with these and then tackle a few more of the other outstanding ones which I have thus far not been able to shift.

2. tirelesstraveler profile image60
          tirelesstravelerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

In the case of the hair salon,  I wonder if a bad Yelp review would help you?

I have a vague recollection of a woman being sued for leaving a bad review on Yelp. Apparently, reviews shouldn't be completely negative, which hers was.

Anyway, I sent a notice to the host/registrar this afternoon, but have run into the same problem I did last time I tried to contact them, as I now recall. They send an automated reply with a link to a form. The form asks for barely any information, and there's no opportunity to add information. They didn't respond last time I went through this, so I don't suppose they will this time. I'll send the notice off by snail mail in the morning.

2. relache profile image72
            relacheposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I would only go this route if the plagiarized content were on Yelp, and even then, you'd get better results filing an infringement complaint with Yelp.

2. Elderberry Arts profile image93
        Elderberry Artsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I have in the past and found it entirely copied. Which I eventually managed to get removed.

I had a couple of links that where at a hairdressing site too but is just a muddle of titles and sentences.

3. aesta1 profile image90
    aesta1posted 9 years ago

I have stopped doing this as I just get mad. It is hard to report some of them because they take a paragraph and mix it up with others things but it bears your hubpage address which links to whatever. How do you report this?

I wish I knew, even those who have the whole content seem impossible at times to get hold of.

4. Sed-me profile image79
    Sed-meposted 9 years ago

I tried it,but no one is interested in my hubs. If only I could get someone to steal my work.

Time to change tactics then, you are going to have to give them exactly what they want.

1. Sed-me profile image79
        Sed-meposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Isn't that the secret? Figuring out what they all want? You know, even if I knew... I'd probably still write what interests me. (sigh)

I think you have the right recipe, write what you enjoy writing.

2. Huntgoddess profile image67
      Huntgoddessposted 9 years agoin reply to this

LOL, yes, that is my situation also. Maybe not a problem, right?

5. tillsontitan profile image82
    tillsontitanposted 9 years ago

I checked on six links and they were all legitimate.  However, I'm having issues with my hub content being stolen.  I guess its a risk we take being on a public forum.

I guess it is unfortunately, love your hub score:)

6. Jodah profile image91
    Jodahposted 9 years ago

I checked mine Sally and all links were legit...either Hub Pages, Google+ etc. I'm lucky my type of writing doesn't seem to appeal to thieves.

You are lucky Jodah.

7. Stacie L profile image87
    Stacie Lposted 9 years ago

Wow...there's a lot of gibberish out there using my name in vain! lol

Many hubbers and I have our profiles on a site called Pearltrees.

I took a look, at least there is a link to the actual hubs ............eventually.

2. brakel2 profile image72

My most popular hub has two pages of results. Some are links and some are at Japanese sites, and two are at sites that I cannot get into, and only part of the articles are outside the actual site. What about a hub that is hidden in the cloud? Is that possible? Writer Fox may have an answer for this one, or anybody.

I have the same issues.

1. brakel2 profile image72

Sally, this is all so crazy. I am sorry you have similar problems. It just gets worse all the time. Good luck.

8. Huntgoddess profile image67
    Huntgoddessposted 9 years ago

OMG!! That's horrible.

9. Huntgoddess profile image67
    Huntgoddessposted 9 years ago

I do see a bunch of things that mention my profile name and HP, but they all seem to have proper attribution.

There's something called, "SiteGlimpse" --- which I have no idea about? But, it's not doing much, I think?

10. profile image0
    Robilo2posted 9 years ago

Hey Sally - I tried both Bing and Google and the results returned are authentic so far... I have 15 hubs. 
    I have developed a habit that may help others here.  Whenever I publish an article on any site, I immediately add it to this free website submission tool: freewebsubmission.com.  I do this to initiate the search engines indexing my URLs for my own website pages too.  This will not help stop the plagiarism and copyright infringement..... but it should help prevent the Hubpage URL Impersonation problem.

I am sure there are other free engine indexing sites out there.  I found this one 2 years ago when learning about SEO.  Hope this helps...

Sounds good. I entered a popular username and found all sorts of weird entries including ads on FB for other sites and products using the HP user name. People have nerve getting business off other people's popularity. I guess it is done all the time, unfortunately. GRRRR.

11. Uzochukwu Mike profile image78
    Uzochukwu Mikeposted 9 years ago

I typed mine and noticed that some writers quoted my works in some of their articles.

That is not bad anyway as they were just references.

They could have given a link to your actual page.

12. tlcs profile image62
    tlcsposted 9 years ago

Looking at the comments made in the discussion review I really am not going to look!

13. Ramkitten2000 profile image91
    Ramkitten2000posted 9 years ago

When searching Google, keep in mind that it will personalize your results unless you change your settings. So you'll naturally see your own hubs at the top of search results because you've visited your own hubs. But that's not necessarily what other people see.

I wonder if some of those who are saying they see only their own hubs at the top of results aren't turning of that personalized feature.

I always turn off the personalized feature, but I am sure some people don't know to do that. At one time, I would forget and then see my hubs from Google+ that disappeared when I turned off that feature.

14. Jayne Lancer profile image91
    Jayne Lancerposted 9 years ago

Just an update for anyone who might be interested: the article that was copied by a Beverly Hills hair salon has now been taken down. Having not reached anybody by email, I sent a DMCA Notice of Copyright Infringement by snail mail to the host/registrar and a copy to the salon.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)