What would you say to that...

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (26 posts)
  1. RanaKm profile image42
    RanaKmposted 9 years ago

Some writers on here told me that I can never get traffic for my posts and articles because of my bad writing and English.
    I just don't pay enough attention for articles and I don't revise or care about whether they have that high quality or not - but it's never about my English because I've always took the highest grades in the English subject during high school times.
    They said that if I wanna have traffic then I better make my articles get a better quality and edit them, however, I know that getting traffic does not fully depend on having quality articles because I've seen many bad and horrible articles getting a traffic 1000000 times better than those written with perfect English, Punctuation and a word count of 700+..
    Don't believe anyone who tells you that the more words you write, the more views you get. No, that should not be necessarily true as well.
    Do you really think that people will be having the mood to read an article of over 600 words? Well, the people who read more than that are just rare, unless you're having a super interesting topic ( A topic which may interest and concern a lot of people ).
    If you want it from my experience, I really believe that titles, keywords, unique topics and pictures are the most important things to focus on for your articles in order to get good traffic. ( Don't forget to put relevant descriptions to your photos).
    I myself have many bad written articles in my own website, but guess what? These articles have got a lot of traffic from Google search and I can show you my reports stats.
    My website is currently having an index of 1 as well because I follow the things that I've just mentioned here.
    Having an index of 1 makes me get a lot of traffic, no? So, who's more right now?

1. Kylyssa profile image90
      Kylyssaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I think your attitude is extremely disrespectful to your readers.

I also think that your attitude is extremely rare. Not many people would brag about taking no pride in their work and doing the absolute minimum to get by. If you have such disdain for writing and you don't care about doing it well, why bother writing? Why not do something you can take pride in instead?

I wouldn't expect a positive reaction to your assertion that the quality of writing doesn't matter at all when you post it on a forum mostly populated by writers and readers. Just because you don't think writing is a skill or an art and you think it's OK to be a hack it doesn't mean that your attitude is an ideal to strive for. There's plenty of crap on the Internet already so there's no need to encourage people to create more.

Yes, I think people read articles much longer than 600 words all the time. Many people enjoy reading and like it as a way to take in information at their own rate. People who don't like to read will search for videos or for slideshows instead of articles so we don't need to cater to them.

RanaKmposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Why is it disrespectful? I include all the info that a reader might need and I also write with a good grammar and vocab so what's so disrespectful about my attitude? What does my attitude have to do with my writing anyway? I never mentioned that I write about things that bother readers or are disrespectful. Sorry for this Q now but are you out of your mind ? - no offence though- Are you really posting this comment for me? Hehe because I don't see any relation with your comment and my post or my articles.

Did you forget what you posted? Let me remind you that you said this:

It's disrespectful of your readers to not care about the quality of your writing. It's disrespectful to purposely not deliver the best that you can. You're bragging about getting views on articles you consider bad, as if delivering the absolute minimum is good enough. It's like being a cook proud of making food just up to the bare minimum standards your customers will accept. How would you feel about such a cook making your food? You're saying your readers don't deserve your best, that they aren't worth any real effort on your part. Is that really something to be proud of?

Your attitude comes through in your writing because writing is communication. If you don't care how good a product you deliver to your readers, they're smart enough to figure it out. Weren't you aware that your writing is your voice?

Look at your post title - "What would you say to that..." If you don't want to know what people think about what you've said, why bother posting it in a public forum with a title that asks a question?

People who like to read appreciate quality writing and they seek it out. People who write, by and large, strive to improve their writing. You are telling the first group their preferences are unimportant and the latter that they needn't bother- and you expect them to agree with you?

No, I;m not bragging about this and no my articles aren't bad. Well, some of them are written without a LOT of attention but others are well written.
            You got my whole point wrong sweetie, my point is that our articles can work good even if they're not well written and if we don't focus a lot on them.
            I'm just giving some facts and opinions and that getting traffic can be done without sticking to some silly rules ( not all rules are silly though ).
            Okay?
            How would I disrespect my readers by giving them the info they need? Yes, I might have some mistakes in my writing ( we all get these ) but that doesn't mean that these mistakes will be affecting my readers by 100%.
            I just mean that us writers don't have to worry a lot about the mistakes that we have in our writing, yes a check up is good but I'm sure that there would still be some mistakes and these mistakes wouldn't affect our traffic or the people that would be interested in reading our articles.
            And no, I'm not purposely making my mistakes lol.
            I write comfortably and I like to be spontaneous in my writing ( example: Not following some writing rules and things), I have a lot of readers who leave me emails saying that they like my way of writing and how spontaneous my articles are so I guess I'm on the right track.
            Thanks for your opinion. * Much appreciated*

Then why did you say your articles were bad if you don't think they are? Why did you say you don't care about the quality of your writing if you actually do?

"<snip>...I don't revise or care about whether they have that high quality or not -<snip>"
              "I myself have many bad written articles in my own website, but guess what?"

If you don't want people to think you are saying you write poorly and don't care that you write poorly, maybe you shouldn't say you write bad articles and don't care about quality after bragging about how good your English skills are? One can really only judge what you think based on what you say. No one can read your mind and know you don't actually mean what you have written.

Also, in the US, it's considered extremely rude to ask a person if she is crazy and to call her sweetie because she's challenged your statements or finds them offensive.

In my opinion, some of articles are not that good and not that bad either, however, they might be pretty good to readers and to some writers and editors..
                I don't know why I always under-estimate what I do, Or perhaps it's because I always think that I'm not the best and there are many other people who do things better than me ( speaking in general).
                Yeah, I don't revise or care about revising my articles because I know that they were good enough but I would still think that they're not the best of what I can present so I would think that they're still bad heheh tongue
                And no, my English skills aren't good enough ( in my opinion) but I know that I still qualify to be a writer and I would still think that I'm bad though...
                Ughh, I'm confusing. Did I get you confused? I don't know how my mind works hehe.. big_smile
                About the sweetie/crazy thingy, no don't take it as such. I'm not living in the US and I didn't mean to offend you or anything so pardon me if you've felt offended ( that wasn't my point).
                Sincerely smile
                * kisses *

2. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Looking at your Hubs, it appears as if your entire collection of 118 Hubs all contain what are now considered unrelated links.  But it will be up to the moderators to review your entire account and decide what is "more right."

Some of them have unrelated links and are unedited - I have to edit them soon.
        So far, I've edited a lot though and there are a lot of articles which contain related links now. Thanks for the note. smile

2. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 9 years ago

What do you mean an index of 1? If you mean page rank, that is the lowest rank other than unlisted/0

1 means that a lot of my articles are getting shown on the first and top pages in Google search..

1. Richard-Bivins profile image79
        Richard-Bivinsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Nobody is questioning the length of content and yes short content has value.  Here on HP, articles over 700 words do much better because they fit into the QAP parameters set by the site owners.  HP is looking for magazine quality articles to set them apart from other content mills so the use of proper English is taking a higher priority than it would on your own sites.

2. galleryofgrace profile image72
        galleryofgraceposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Your score is 79 -google is not indexing your hubs!

1. SmartAndFun profile image94
          SmartAndFunposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Not true. A score below 85 means links in the hub are no-follow, but Google doesn't know what your hubber score is. Hubs which are unfeatured are not indexed.

Galleryofgrace, I would have believed you if I didn't find any traffic from google coming to my articles in the traffic source section on hubpages. Hehe, thanks for the great note. tongue

2. RanaKm profile image42

SmartAndFun, Thanks! Now I know why I have no-follow links... My score is rising though so I hope it gets over 85...

3. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 9 years ago

Even when it is not strictly necessary, I think technically correct English is always a desirable feature of web content.

4. SmartAndFun profile image94
    SmartAndFunposted 9 years ago

I think perhaps what people meant is not so much that content with broken English and bad grammar will never get views from Google, but that without proper English it is difficult for your articles to remain published on HubPages. Because HP is a content farm, and Google basically hates content farms, HP has to be extra careful about what it publishes, with a goal of offering up only the best to Google (not that this is what always happens). This is also why HP is redefining and tightening up on what it considers over-promotional. Google watches content farms like a hawk, just waiting to find reasons to downgrade them even further.

You might not need good grammar to succeed with Google, but these days you do need it to succeed at HP.

Writing for your own site is going to be a different experience with Google than writing for a content mill.

5. Uzochukwu Mike profile image78
    Uzochukwu Mikeposted 9 years ago

Ranakm, from your post, your English is good one. I do not understand the other kind of English you are talking about.

Contents, correctness and keywords are three determinant factors through which Google rate sites. Wikipedia for example shows first in Google because of content.

6. sandeep15r profile image72
    sandeep15rposted 9 years ago

Writing simple and clear is a must for web content writing. It is good to avoid advanced punctuation marks in the writing as it slows down sentence speed. The lesser punctuation you have, the better your writing will be for the web.

7. Maffew James profile image95
    Maffew Jamesposted 9 years ago

Bad content doesn't rank in spite of the way it is written. It ranks because either the competition is very low, or the webmaster is using black hat SEO. In either case it's fleeting and the position will not hold. All it takes is a new competitor to enter the niche, or for Google to analyse the SEO tactics used and adapt its algorithms, and the page falls off the radar.

Sure it doesn't.
      I guess my content is not bad hehe tongue
      My site doesn't have a specific niche btw, it has various topics..

1. Maffew James profile image95
        Maffew Jamesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

As an example, your website ranks for the keyword "cashinsurf". The first result is the actual website cashinsurf . com. The second position is a website that analyses websites. Your website is in third then. After that there's only websites that are auto-generated and don't contain articles or are just nonsense and spam.

Your website ranks 3rd, not because the quality of the page is necessarily good, but because there is simply nothing better out there. You're the only one with an article around the keyword. That's a lack of competition. If another website came in, they could very easily write a superior article and it would take your position.

In any case, the keyword only gets 720 searches a month. Approximately 42 percent of those searchers will click through to the first position result. This generally drops significantly for lower positions. Take into account that most of the people using this keyword are trying to find the actual website that the keyword is based on and it's very unlikely you get any significant traffic from it. The keyword itself is also worthless for Adsense income.

Another example: "surfwithmoney scam"
        You rank in position one. Second position is a small forum. Your site is again, the only one with an actual article. It is also one of few websites in that search to have the keyword present in the title, URL, and a heading. All of this allows you to rank for the keyword because there is no able competition.

As for why there is no competition, the keyword only receives about 50 searches a month and is worthless in Adsense. It's just not a keyword that any quality website would care to rank for because it's not going to bring in a decent amount of traffic and you can't make money from Adsense advertisements with it. If another website did decide to write an article around that keyword though, they would out-rank you very easily.

"If another website did decide to write an article around that keyword though, they would out-rank you very easily."
          Seriously? So, any other website should be better than mine? How would you know? Perhaps another site would write about the same keyword but it wouldn't be a good site or at least better than mine..And perhaps it would be better, who knows? Just don't speak in general about this because you never know.
          I get your point in all of what you said but I have other articles which generate good traffic for me and not just the ones which you've mentioned.
          As for the ads, I'm not currently using google adsense yet because I find difficulties receiving payments from them so that's why I'm not using it. I would hopefully use it in the future though.
          Thanks for the notes.

8. gamers prophet profile image61
    gamers prophetposted 9 years ago

having read some of your hubs, i think you are a superb writer. My only concern is your bio on your profile, it has your website that has a redirect to a search engine, which promotes spam related alert on my browser.

Oh thank you, it means a lot to me!...
      About this search engine, gosh I'm fed up with the banner codes that have pop under codes automatically written with them. I tried to remove them several times but I'm not figuring out which advertising network is having these.. hmm

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)