Attributions for photos

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (15 posts)
  1. CatherineGiordano profile image77
    CatherineGiordanoposted 9 years ago

Does HP need to see the link in order to know that the picture was legally obtained?They insist on it in boot camp, but what about afterwards?

I know Pixabay and some other free-image sites don't require attribution. I do it anyway and include the link because I feel I should credit the artist/photographer.  Is this good or bad to do?

When I modify a picture, I use this as the source: "Catherine Giordano (via Pixabay, modified)" and show the link to the original picture. I feel I shouldn't claim it as my own when it is 90% someone else's work. If I have combined two pictures from Pixabay, I use the link to the picture that provided the larger portion of the new picture I have created. Is this good or bad?

In another forum thread, someone said that if I had several pictures with the Pixabay link, I would run afoul of the rule that says you can't have more than two links in one hub to the same website domain.  But I often use the Pixabay link as the source for several pictures without any problem.  [Once when I tried to link to the Poetry Foundation 4 times because I was linking to 4 pages related to poems for spring, summer, fall, winter (one page per season), a notice popped up that I couldn't do it. I never get that notice with Pixabay.]

When it is my own photo, I use my name as the source. I know I could just omit the source, but I want to be clear that I own the picture. Is this a good way to do it?

When someone else has given me a photo, I simply say "Courtesy of (name)." There is no link because it did not come from the web. If it is a photo from another website and I have obtained written permission to use,  I say "Courtesy of (name)" and give the link. 

If I get my photo from a site that asks for attribution, I use the requested attribution and the link. If it is a public domain photo, I use "Public Domain" and provide the link. Is this right? Is it better to include the links or leave them off?

Quite a lot of questions.  I am hoping that I find a consensus of what is the best way to handle attributions.

1. Christy Kirwan profile image93
      Christy Kirwanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi Catherine,

We don't require you to link where the license of the image doesn't require it, so it's up to you whether or not you choose to include it.

It's most important that you are citing your sources in line with the requirements of the license the photo is under. For a photo that belongs to you or someone you know, the name (with "by permission" or "with permission" if the owner is someone else who has allowed you to use the image) is pretty standard.

CatherineGiordanoposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I know I am not required to name the source or provide the link when the image is "free", but is it good to do so anyway. Or does it have negative effects? If I take a free image and modify it, should I claim it as my own, just leave the source blank, or do what I have been doing --claiming it as my own by crediting the source.  I think all 3 are permissible, but which is best?

I don't believe it has any effect one way or the other, beyond the legal risk of using copyrighted images and/or incorrectly citing images that require it.

Many Creative Commons images require you to cite the owner, even if the image is modified (though you should mention that you have modified it), but as for public domain images, stock photos you have purchased, and other images you have full rights to, it's completely up to you. There isn't really a "right" or "wrong" way.

I should also add that citation is required (even for public domain photos, stock photos you've purchased, and photos you've taken yourself) in order to participate in many HubPages programs such as certain of our contests, or having your Hub selected as a Hub of the Day. We understand that it may not be legally required, but it's the only way Staff has to verify that you have the right to use the images.

Aha!  That is what I thought and that is why I was taking the trouble to do attributions. Now if I modify the artwork for images which allow modification, how do I credit it?.

The usual format is: Creator via Site You Found the Photo On, License, Modified By

So, it might look something like this: John Smith via Wikimedia Commons, CC-BY, Modified by Catherine Giordano. For public domain photos, you can simply put "Public Domain, Modified by Catherine Giordano," or "Public Domain, modified by author."

When citing yourself, it's ok to use your real name, your Hubber name, or simply "author" depending on your preference.

2. CatherineGiordano profile image77

I haven't seen anyone else do attributions like I do.  Once I have changed the artist's work, it is no longer his work. He may not like what I have done with his art so I claim it as mine. But since I built on his work, I feel he deserves credit too. That's what feels right to me, but I became concerned because no one else does it that way.

This whole discussion about attribution started with a discussion of hub scores. Was incorrect attribution lowering hub scores? Based on the comments in this thread, I believe that my hub scores were not hurt by the way I do attribution.

No, attribution does not play into HubScores, simply because we have no foolproof way of knowing if lack of attribution means a photo is stolen or that the author has rights to it. Some good Hubbers choose not to attribute photos they are legally using as a matter of preference, and we don't want to penalize those Hubbers.

2. LindaSmith1 profile image60
    LindaSmith1posted 9 years ago

Writer For wrote an excellent SEO hub  that covers images. http://writerfox.hubpages.com/hub/SEO-Tutorial-Guide

3. ChristinS profile image39
    ChristinSposted 9 years ago

I was under the impression the links with photo's are no follow links - so I am pretty sure it wouldn't matter if you linked the same source to images many times.  That being said, Pixabay doesn't require links back.  If anything, I'd leave a thank you comment to the pixabay photographer or something on the comments below their photos.  They put them on Pixabay knowing they will be used without attribution so there is nothing to feel guilty about. 

I have a graphics site where I create images that I allow others to use commercially with no link back required.  I am always happy when someone leaves me a little note saying how much they appreciated that or where they are using it.  You can also leave "coffee donations" on pixabay that go to the photographers which I am sure are also appreciated.

If I ever start to make money with HP, I will leave "coffee money." I feel guilty about not doing so already.

4. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 9 years ago

I would say it is a matter of your style/choice whether to link when it is not required by the rights holder.  I tend to do so, but sometimes in a separate attributions box if there are multiple images in the hub.

5. LuisEGonzalez profile image77
    LuisEGonzalezposted 9 years ago

All links can be counted to decide if the hub is overly promotional. Some exceptions are made for sites like Wikipedia and Pixabay because these sites are not commercial. So far as including a link, I think is the right thing to do to as is giving attribution to every photo, even if in public domain. It might not be required but it is just a nice gesture anyway.

I tend to agree, on the other hand without all that source info, the hub might look cleaner.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)