EC/HOTD

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (24 posts)
  1. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
    DzyMsLizzyposted 9 years ago

Pursuant to the discussion going on over the HubPro issues, and the "opt out" selection, I visited my profile to double-check my that my settings were set to "opt out."  They were.

I then saw that my EC option was also set to "opt out," as I had made that change back in October of 2014, in an attempt to regain some traffic, since my earnings had dropped to a ridiculous point, I thought that reclaiming those articles to my own subdomain might help.  It has; marginally so.

However, under the notification that you can only make this change once every 2 months, I decided to click on the "why?" link, for a refresher and any updated information.

I see that in addition to the reasons given, there are also 'benefits' assigned to EC hubs, one of which is eligibility for HOTD status.  (So does this mean that we must be opted in to the EC program, and  that a hub must first be an EC hub to become a HOTD?)

I had a couple of hubs that got HOTD prior to the EC program being launched, and a few others since, for a total of about 5 or so HOTD selections.

I am now wondering, having opted out of EC, do those HOTD hubs also lose that status?
    It seems to me, we used to have a place where we could search how many such we had, under  the "designation" filter, and I now do not find that.

Since the HOTD symbol is not displayed to us under our list of hubs in our account, how do we find this information? (and it seems to me that the HOTD symbol could be displayed as easily as the EC symbol was.)

1. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Click the HOTD icon on your profile; it will show you which hubs have attained that status.

DzyMsLizzyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Oh.  Ok, thanks, wilderness.  I got lost in all the tabs on the hubs list....LOL

2. PegCole17 profile image93
      PegCole17posted 9 years agoin reply to this

You're right DzyMsLizzy, In order to find a Hub of the Day among the sliders of hubbers, we have to be diligent and perhaps accidentally fall upon the symbol. It makes me wonder if the criteria for HOTD will now be linked with being opted into the program.

3. Marina Lazarevic profile image76
      Marina Lazarevicposted 9 years agoin reply to this

HOTD status is permanent, so your old HOTD Hubs will not lose their status. To have new Hubs eligible for HOTD, however, you need to be opted into the EC program.

Bah--phooey!  That did take away traffic!  Isn't there a way to make the EC hubs not  be removed from our subdomains?  What was the idea/point behind that action?

1. Barbara Kay profile image74
          Barbara Kayposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I made a mistake myself and opted out, because everyone was saying all the negatives of the Editor's Choice program. I had about 36 of them, not thinking that the status would be taken away when I opted out. I made a big mistake!

2. Marina Lazarevic profile image76

DzyMsLizzy, Paul E explains the reasoning for keeping EC Hubs on the main domain in his post here. On average, there isn't a big traffic benefit (or drawback) to moving EC Hubs away from subdomains but keeping them on HubPages.com gives us some interesting data to track over time.

2. janshares profile image93
        jansharesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Marina, isn't that a new policy with the updated EC benefits, that we now must opt into the EC program in order to be considered for HOTD? I do recall reading something like that in the blog post but didn't realize it was required. I thought it meant that EC hubs have an advantage but all hubs would still be considered. Bummer.

1. Christy Kirwan profile image89
          Christy Kirwanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi jan,

Hubbers must now be opted into EC in order to have a Hub of the Day since only EC Hubs will be considered for that honor. EC Hubs will also have priority on our social media channels, but we will be sharing some Hubs that are not EC as well. Hope that clears things up!

1. janshares profile image93

Yes, it does, Christy, thank you. It feels weird, though. Hmm. It feels like being invited to the party but you can't get in unless you bring the right bottle of wine. And all that's at the party to drink is wine. But you don't drink. Not because you're anti-social but you prefer stability when things seem unstable. If you get thirsty enough, you will end up drinking the wine and run the risk of getting drunk.
            That's the best analogy I could come up with off the top of my head to the tips of my fingers and onto the keyboard. I think for now I'll let this sink in, remain opted out, and be grateful for the one HOTD I already have. After all, it's not about ECs and HsOTD, right? That's just icing on the cake for the love of writing, the views we get, and the earnings we receive. Yup. smile Carry on.

1. Christy Kirwan profile image89
              Christy Kirwanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi jan, thanks for taking the time to explain (very eloquently). Hopefully you'll decide to give EC a chance at some point, but I'm wishing you the best on HP either way. smile

1. janshares profile image93

I probably should have made it a hub. You're welcome.

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image85

Okay--so, if I opt back in to the EC program, do my hubs that were formerly EC selections get reinstated to EC, or does it re-set everything back to square one when you opt out?

2. LindaSmith1 profile image60
    LindaSmith1posted 9 years ago

If I am not mistaken, a hub has a URL that gets indexed.  Then the URL gets changed for the EC url it is given.  But that is only for so long, and then it reverts back to the original URL.  No wonder traffic drops on these hubs.  This is like having and article that ranks high in search engine and then moving it to another site, which will result in a new url. Now that article has to start all over again where ranking is concerned.

3. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 9 years ago

Interest shift in emphasis there.  If there is no benefit to the shift at this time, I am not sure why it is still being incentivized. It was a sensible experiment at the time but maybe now HOTD should be made openly available again?

1. Marina Lazarevic profile image76

The goals of the revamped EC Program are to: reward Hubbers for creating creating great content and help HubPages readers discover great content. When the program first launched over a year ago, there was also the hope that EC Hubs might see a traffic benefit. It turns out that on average, they did not (on average traffic changes were a wash), but we decided that the other benefits of the program justified keeping it and giving it more attention.

By our metrics and standards, EC Hubs represent the very best of HubPages.

4. WriteAngled profile image73
    WriteAngledposted 9 years ago

"On average, there isn't a big traffic benefit (or drawback) to moving EC Hubs away from subdomains but keeping them on HubPages.com gives us some interesting data to track over time."

Oh, so no benefit to the author whatsoever, only statistics for HP management. Well that clarifies things, thank you. I've just opted out.

1. Writer Fox profile image31
      Writer Foxposted 9 years agoin reply to this

smile
      At least we know now that EC didn't improve traffic for Hubs.  We've been waiting since August, 2013, for this feedback.

2. Marina Lazarevic profile image76

I was just explaining the reasoning for keeping EC Hubs on the main domain.

We (along with many others Hubbers) think there are plenty of benefits to the EC Program that are unrelated to short-term traffic.

5. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 9 years ago

What other these benefits for hubbers themselves?  To get buy in and support calling it a "reward" it would be kind of helpful to say what the benefit is?

6. Solaras profile image95
    Solarasposted 9 years ago

Here is my experience with opting in and then out of the EC program. 

Initially, when I opted in, I had few hubs (20) and not much traffic.  Opting in brought attention to one of the 6 EC hubs, and increased its traffic considerably.  Because it linked to several other hubs on the same topic, views went up across the board (50% over several months time).

In November I noticed one of my hubs had been returned from the EC subdomain, and was no longer considered EC material.  Based on a comment by Dr. Mark, that he had taken the advice of Writer Fox and left the EC program with no ill effects, I reconsidered participating in the program.

As I still only had about 38 hubs and 5 were on the EC domain, I decided it might behoove the other hubs to bring these back and increase the number of articles on my subdomain.  So in early January I opted out of the EC program. The result was a decrease in traffic to the one hub performing well as an EC hub, but its return brought increased traffic to the other hubs. 

The net result is an overall increase in traffic of 25%, which has remained in effect for a month now.  My thoughts are, if you have very little traffic to your hubs, EC can get views that can boost other hubs on your subdomain, and perhaps help catch Google's notice.  However, once that is accomplished, having the best of your content together on one subdomain will improve overall views.

7. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
    DzyMsLizzyposted 8 years ago

Okay--since I posted the original question, I've re-opted in to the EC program.
    (As of about a week ago--that is, around the 2nd or 3rd of April, 2015--I didn't write it down; I'm guessing.) 

At this point, I've now seen my daily earnings almost double since taking that action. (That's not to say I'm raking in huge amounts; I am not.  I still get less than a buck a day.)  But if this is a trend, or result of the EC status, then it may be worth keeping turned on.

1. psycheskinner profile image82
      psycheskinnerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

It would be worth hearing from staff again, because last time the comment there was no average traffic effect of opting in.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)