African-American James Bond

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (18 posts)
  1. thirdmillenium profile image60
    thirdmilleniumposted 9 years ago

Today's top level actors cannot but include people like Denzel Washington, Will Smith, Jamie Fox, Weslie Snipe,  Chiwetel Ejiofor  all African-Americans. Above all, there is Morgan Freeman. Each of them as good as any anywhere. But James Bond? I am not for a moment suggesting there should be bias.

Idris Alba is perhaps  more dashing than all the people above - age is on his side, anyway -   and I daresay can prove to be more suave and His being British makes him a most apt actor to play James Bond.  However,my point is this: Do you think Ian Fleming's imagination could have accommodated any one other than a white for the Royal Navy officer?

Going unconventional is fine but surely there things that are best left as they are for nostalgia's sake? I am all for creating a new character, even more dashing, more modern African American spy than Bond but I think Bond is best left to his own old self.

This is not to create a controversy but just a thought spoken aloud. Please do not accuse me of any bias.
    http://s1.hubimg.com/u/12318522.jpg

1. profile image0
      Onusonusposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I wouldn't care what race they are trying to put in the roll. I say let the fans speak for themselves. The money will follow.

Some Asian people protested the idea of the Last Air Bender being cast as a white kid.
      If people were to protest and demonstrate against the idea of a black James Bond they would be labeled racist.

2. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 9 years ago

He had already been four different nationalities, a bunch of different appearances, and not aged in 50 years.  I don't see how making him black is fundamentally different to making him Scottish and immortal.

thirdmilleniumposted 9 years agoin reply to this

But, don't you see the common thread among the actors  of the  four nationalities?

1. janesix profile image61
        janesixposted 9 years agoin reply to this

They're all men?

Did I guess right?

You in deed are perceptive but there is another common thing which is more relevant to our discussion. Have another guess.

2. psycheskinner profile image84
        psycheskinnerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I am saying Bond can change his basic characteristics, race is just one more characteristic.

If you are suggesting race is some special exception perhaps you should say why you think this.

Major superheroes have been recast for race, Bond is really just another of the same ilk.

I have no reservation in agreeing with you but like say, Halle Berry or Vanessa Williams (An all time beauty, to be sure)  can easily be seen more fetching than Marilyn Monroe but can you interchange them? NO, I want to reiterate that race has absolutely nothing to do with what I am saying.

1. psycheskinner profile image84

Bond has changed his characteristics all the time.  But you are treating race as "special" and fixed.  You are saying Bond can become a different nationality, age, shape, weight, and hair color, so why not skin color?  I am asking why you think that.  Because it has everything to do with how you conceptualise race in a way that is clearly different to how I am conceptualising it.

You are saying Bond can become a different nationality, age, shape, weight, and hair color, so why not skin color?

This statement of yours does not belong to Bond. All these people are portraying Bond as a British naval officer. George Lazenby was not referred to as a New Zealander  etc.  Anyway, I can see this is dangerously close to becoming racial and I have no intention of turning it into one. I apologize for starting this.

You think Sean Connery was playing an Englishman, and Daniel Craig was playing a brunet?

If so, a black actor could just play him "white".  It would be just as convincing.

I think by insisting race is different you are in fact showing that your position is based on treating race as a special category with special privileges.

I sincerely think we do not have to see hidden agendas or oversimplify things into black and white. Race is hardly on my mind. It is the images in my mind, the ambiance, the general atmosphere along with the natural surrounding that I am talking about.  I just want to have nostalgia intact for me personally. I am sure many others would want it that way too. I assure you that race does not even enter my mind as long as it is all in place without being disturbed.  Captain Von Trapp and the Austrian Alps, the children, the nun belong in the movie just as the way they are portrayed and I would not want them changed. What about Riverdale, Archie, Betty, Veronica and the rest of the crowd? Do you want to remember them as they were when you were young and had enormous harmless fun out of their tales or do you want the memory to be unnecessarily shaken up with socially correct racially balanced snippets? I mean political correctness does not have to be thrust into every situation and end up making it artificial. I hope people understand my viewpoint. Who can stop Gene Clark or Gram Parsons being played by a black actor? But, will it be natural or politically correct?

(And, please give me Denzel Washington any day of the week and I ready to eat him for break-fast, lunch and dinner. Same goes for Morgan Freeman. Love them both more than my perennial favorites Richard Burton and Clint Eastwood.)

This only makes it even more clear that you think racial privilege is very important and "white" things can be shared across all kinds of age, nationality and appearance boundaries but only with other whites and never people of color.

I disagree. A black Bond would be different in fascinating ways.  But he is a conceptual space not a real person as shown by the diverse people that have already played him. He could be black just like Dr Who, Superman or the president could/can be.  Change can be good.

3. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 9 years ago

p.s. the main black candidate for the role, Chiwetel Ejiofor, is certainly not African American.

4. word55 profile image72
    word55posted 9 years ago

There is only one slick James Bond: The original. Could there be another native, Shaft? No way!

5. FatFreddysCat profile image94
    FatFreddysCatposted 9 years ago

Idris Elba sez that the rumors about him being the next Bond have been so thoroughly beaten to death on the Internet that they've pretty much sabotaged any chance it might have had of actually happening...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/i … mor-787201

"Honestly, it’s a rumor that’s really starting to eat itself," the 42-year-old star of Luther and The Wire told the audience at London's British Film Institute on Tuesday. "If there was ever any chance of me getting Bond, it’s gone."

Elba also confirmed that talks with Bond producers have "never happened," and blamed the man currently brandishing the license to kill for sparking the gossip. "Daniel Craig actually set the rumor off. About four years ago he said Idris Elba would be a great Bond and then it started to creep," he said. "I blame Daniel."

If Craig had manipulated so, it is unbecoming of him. In which case, Elba needs to be the next Bond. big_smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)