my first article, i need some critisism

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (8 posts)
  1. profile image57
    Kevin Kristoferposted 8 years ago

So I decided about a week ago to try my hand at writing, being as I am extremely opinionated. However my writing skills are way out of practice and I'm not very good at sourcing pictures to use, nor do I have the money to buy stock images. So i could use some advice on that also. My hub doesn't have any pics right now but I would like some feedback on the writing quality if some of you don't mind helping me with that.

http://kevinkristofer.hubpages.com/hub/ … rn-Society

1. Koomarko profile image59
      Koomarkoposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Writing Qualities comes from the heart and perseverance, If you have that, I believe you can succeed in a few times.

2. Millionaire Tips profile image91
      Millionaire Tipsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I agree with DrMark about breaking up the text into separate capsules.  That makes it easier to add the images, polls, etc.

The Learning Center has lots of information about how to write hubs.  This one about the use of images will useful to you.

http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/legal-image-use

3. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Here are my two cents, for what they are worth:

You lack a clear introduction
      You have some spacing problems where sentences have a wide space on one line before finishing on the next.
      You have not used any capsules or capsule titles
      You need to be more specific:  for example, instead of saying "many philosophers have stated..."you should specifically name each philosopher you want to quote and then paraphrase what he said.

As for photos...you do not have to buy stock photos.

You can obtain great free, public domain photos from Pixabay.com and Morguefile.com and then edit them as desired with Picmonkey.com...also free.  Wikimedia Commons also has good photos, but they are a bit trickier to use because they require attribution.  If you check out a few of my hubs, you will see some examples of pix I obtained, edited and am now using.

You have a good start, but you need to do a better job of organizing your thoughts.

Remember:

Introduction
      Body
      Close

2. DrMark1961 profile image96
    DrMark1961posted 8 years ago

Hi Kevin I was interested in your subject so went ahead and read the whole thing. Not everyone is going to, even if they find it.
    First, I would reccommend a title change so that people are more likely to find it. How about "Does Slavery Still Exist Today?" or something like that. If someone is looking for an essay on slavery, what is he most likely to type into the search engine? The current title is unlikely to draw many searchers, so do some work on this first.
    Second, your test should be broken up into capsules to make the reading a little easier for most readers. When most people are reading a book, and each page is one paragraph, they may get bored and skip that page entirely. Your hub is a lot like that. Use title capsules like "History of Slavery", "Are We Still Slaves", and "Why Do We Accept Slavery" to get people to read more of your article. (Those are just examples, like the title, but you get the idea.)
    Third, add some relevant images from pixabay or flickr. Both have free creative commons images, just search. If you use pixabay you do not even have to cite the source, but I find a lot more at flickr.
    Fourth, if someone reads this, and feels worked up, encourage them. Ask them to make a comment and tell you how they feel about how we are all slaves. Make a poll and ask people to tell you the most oppressive part of being a slave in this modern life.
    Interesting post, but it still needs some work. Good luck.

1. profile image57
      Kevin Kristoferposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Wow, thank you. I did not expect so much useful information from a single person.  I see I have a lot to work on.
      I did not think that naming the capsules would make a significant difference but now that you pointed it out, I can see how it is very useful in hubs made by others.

3. Dolores Monet profile image94
    Dolores Monetposted 8 years ago

HI Kevin - you can always take your own pictures to illustrate a hub, as long as the images relate to the article. For instance, you could take a picture of chains at your local hardware store. Or a picture of your phone or computer, since these are mentioned. Take a photo of heavy traffic from a bridge as I think you mentioned travel time to work. You could add a video from youtube.

1. profile image57
      Kevin Kristoferposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Actually I didn't put that much thought into that. I'm don't really see myself as a photographer but I guess I have never seen myself as a writer either.  I think I will give it a shot. Thank you.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)