Free Pictures On Pixabay

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (18 posts)
  1. TheShadowSpecter profile image85
    TheShadowSpecterposted 8 months ago

Has anybody noticed that Pixabay is requiring Hubbers to download more and more of their free pictures rather than allowing us merely to copy the URL address of them and then paste it in the import feature for embedding pictures?  More often than not I try to import a picture over to an article and I get this message:
    "Unrecognized file type. It is possible that the site is blocking our request for the image. You could save the file to your computer and upload it directly."

What is even stranger is that whenever I attempt to import that same picture over to an article of mine on a different writing platform, I am able to do so successfully.  If anyone else is experiencing this problem, I'd be interested in knowing about it; and if anyone has a solution to it, I'd like for you to tell me what it is.

I'd rather import a picture to my article than do the entire download process.  I don't want to use up space in my computer downloading pictures if I don't need to do so.

1. eugbug profile image95
      eugbugposted 8 months agoin reply to this

How big is your hard drive? If your computer was made in the last 6 or 7 years, image size is unlikely to be a problem because of the huge capacity of drives. An image might be 6 or 7 MB max, a drive will typically have a capacity of at least 500 GB or 500,000 MB. Pictures displayed on the Pixabay site are webp images, so that explains why they can't be imported. Only jpg, png and GIFs can be used. Maybe bmp too. I haven't checked, but it should say.

TheShadowSpecterposted 8 months agoin reply to this

My hard drive is 454 GB.  What is concerning is that many pictures that I try to import to my articles but generate that annoying message I described above are in the jpg format.  When I first joined HubPages back in 2016, I never had any difficulty importing pictures in that format to my articles.  Now it seems that just about every one of them generate that same annoying message.  However, when I am on the Hive writing platform, even the Steemit writing platform, I never run into that same problem whenever I import pictures to my articles there no matter what format they're in.  It's most bizarre.

2. Jan Stepan profile image91
      Jan Stepanposted 8 months agoin reply to this

The download process is super smooth, and as Bev says, you can delete them directly after you've uploaded them to your article. So storage shouldn't be an issue.

You can also find all your uploaded photos in the photo section of your account. So there's no need to keep them on your computer, although I usually have them on my hard drive, just in case.

It looks like I'll have to go about it the way that you and Bev do so.

2. theraggededge profile image97
    theraggededgeposted 8 months ago

I've always downloaded images. Never had a problem. You can always delete them once uploaded.

When I first started out on HubPages back in 2016, I was downloading the images so that I could embed them in my article later on.  However, I found that it was much quicker to import the images.  Back in 2016 and 2017, I never ran into any problems doing so.  However, now it's as though just about every picture on Pixabay doesn't allow for me to import them.  I guess if push comes to shove, I may have to continue doing it the way you do.  That is, downloading them and then deleting them once uploaded.

As far as I recall, up until recently, you could just right click on an image on Pixabay and save it to your computer as a jpg (or import it to Hubpages) All the images displayed now are webp types, so when you import from the link, you're not importing a jpg. It tested this and tried importing from Pixabay and it says that the file is an unrecognised type.

That's interesting information.  However, it stil baffles me why the Hive writing platform and the Steemit writing platform allow me to import pictures from Pixabay to my articles regardless of the format.  I'm thinking that eventually HubPages will figure a way to get around this same hurdle as the Hive writing platform and the Steemit writing platform did.

I presume they can just use import webp images and then use them in that format or convert to jpgs.

2. Miebakagh57 profile image69
          Miebakagh57posted 8 months agoin reply to this

When I download photos from pexel or pixabay, I saved such by right clicking. Then I upload on my story, and delete.                                       Now, if I need that image that I deleted again, I go to hubpages and get it from the first article. Hubpages has a link for that on its word or article writing form.

3. PaulGoodman67 profile image94
    PaulGoodman67posted 8 months ago

Yeah, Pixabay don't seem to be allowing importing. You'll have to download.

1. Miebakagh57 profile image69
      Miebakagh57posted 8 months agoin reply to this

But you can import from hubpages, provide you've alreay download and upload that image on your article on hubpages.

2. TheShadowSpecter profile image85

It appears that the Hive writing platform has found a way around that obstacle.  I wonder if HubPages would also be able to do so.  Every time I import a picture from Pixabay to an article of mine on my Hive channel, I have no problem doing so.  On HubPages, I run into the above-described issue 90 percent of the time.

I would think such a feature would be low priority.
        What is the thing you find most inconvenient about downloading images from Pixabay? If you're using a computer, you can set it up so that it asks where images are downloaded, or even download automatically to the desktop. Then images can easily be found and deleted without doing a lot of navigating to find them.

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image94
          PaulGoodman67posted 8 months agoin reply to this

Yes, importing is a slightly quicker way of adding the images but it doesn't seem important in the grand scheme of things when so much time is spent on researching, writing, and editing the article.

That said, I do like the Medium feature where you can search for and insert an Unsplash image directly and it will add all the attributions for you automatically. I wouldn't say no to something like that at HP.

1. Jan Stepan profile image91
            Jan Stepanposted 8 months agoin reply to this

That's a nice little feature, indeed. It's not something I necessarily crave, but I would welcome it.

I feel that the faster way I have of doing things, the better my time will be economized whenever I'm piecing together an article here on HubPages.  So, yeah, the picture-import feature is an important one to me.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)