Obamacare ruling even bigger victory than anybody expected

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (19 posts)
  1. profile image0
    PrettyPantherposted 8 years ago

1) Chief Justice John Roberts displays judicial temperament instead of conservative pandering. Victory.
    2)  Conservatives once again on the wrong side of history (Social Security, anyone?). Sad, but typical.
    3)  While we (including me) often fret that it doesn't really matter who is President, consider this victory and head to the voting booth every time with a well-prepared resolve to select the person or initiative that will move our country into a better future.

The Obamacare ruling is an even bigger victory for the law—and the president—than anybody expected.

1. profile image0
      ahorsebackposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Lets see now , a better future huh ?   Taxes will rise from Obama Care  , watch and see , that's a given .   More and more people on the system  of an already depleted  Social security system = higher taxes . Ya , a better future !

1. wba108@yahoo.com profile image77
        wba108@yahoo.composted 8 years agoin reply to this

The obamacare ruling is an exercise of raw power without reference to common sense or the Constitution. I wholeheartedly agree with you that obamacare is a travesty, its a major step towards centralized government power and away from the individual liberty our country was founded on.

1. Quilligrapher profile image73
          Quilligrapherposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Good evening, Will. Nice to see you join in the discussion.

While I truly respect your opinions and your right to express them, it appears you reached a conclusion about the Supreme Court decision in King v. Burwell without really knowing very much about the what the case was all about. The plaintiffs argued that the IRS rule implementing individual tax credits did not comply with the language embedded in the act by Congress. The final ruling had nothing to do with common sense or the Constitution and even less about “raw power.”

The Supreme Court described the basic issue as follows:
          “Petitioners challenged the IRS Rule in Federal District Court. The District Court dismissed the suit, holding that the Act unambiguously made tax credits available to individuals enrolled through a Federal Exchange. The Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit affirmed. The Fourth Circuit viewed the Act as ambiguous, and deferred to the IRS’s interpretation under Chevron U. S. A. Inc. v. Natural Resources Defense Council, Inc., 467 U. S. 837.”  {1}

In presenting the majority opinion, Chief Justice Roberts pointed out, "This case is about whether the Act’s interlocking reforms apply equally in each State no matter who establishes the State’s Exchange. Specifically, the question presented is whether the Act’s tax credits are available in
          States that have a Federal Exchange."
          {2}

In a nutshell, the majority held that ambiguities in the text should be interpreted in a manner consistent with the overall objectives and purposes, expressed and implied, in the law as was intended by the Congress. The dissenting opinion, written by Justice Scalia, contends the ambiguities in the text should be interpreted literally even if this totally obstructs the expressed purpose intended by the Congress when it enacted the law.       

Your opinions are always of interest to me, Will, but, in a discussion about this Supreme Court decision, partisan rhetoric about common sense, the Constitution, or “raw power” are, IMO, both irrelevant and pointless.

It’s good to run into you again, Will. I can imagine that you have nothing but good things to say about Andrew Cuomo. big_smile
          http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6919429.jpg
          {1} http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/14 … 4_qol1.pdf  p.2
          {2} Ibid. P. 6

2. profile image0
    PrettyPantherposted 8 years ago

Article from Forbes:

Key study on Obamacare 2015 premium rates is out annd you won't believe what's going to happen

Excerpt:

"One of the best sources of actual facts is the annual study done by the McKinsey Center for U.S. Health System Reform.

Any self-respecting conservative knows all too well that McKinsey is immune from attack as an organization committed to presenting a left leaning political slant as it remains a bastion of business advice and a company that simply cannot be painted with a blue brush.

Here are the bullet points of the study:

- Despite the cries of the Obamacare bashers that insurance companies would leave the exchanges in droves once they discovered how much money they are losing , it turns out that competition and choice  are increasing as we head into 2015.
        - While 65 percent of existing policies will see an increase in premium costs for 2015, the median increase will be just 4 percent.
        - Cost of premiums for those being subsidized are all over the place with some likely to pay more and others likely to pay considerably less.

Conclusion:

"So, if you are all about the politics of being anti-Obamacare, you’ll want to simply pretend you never read this article as any rational individual will find it hard to continue to terrify the nation with predictions of fewer policies, smaller competition, and double-digit increases in premium rates.

However, even if you are committed to bashing the ACA at all costs, do yourself a favor and go check out the policies available to you come November 15th. You are likely to find something to your liking at either a lower price or at a very small increase.

Should you find such a policy, buy it and be secure in the knowledge that the next time you trash Obamacare nobody will have to know that you benefited personally from the program.

It will be our little secret."

3. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 8 years ago

One finds it very interesting that in the present ,past and future  idealistic intellectual drivel of liberal mindset - That  one would NOT want a central government meddling in its pocket books , its own  health directives , its mandatory ......Anything's ! 

And yet those who decry government intervention the most - will absolutely  take Obama-care as a freebie , Anytime !

1. profile image0
      PrettyPantherposted 8 years agoin reply to this

"intellectual drivel"

Do you mean facts and reason peppered with imagination and the will to create positive forward movement?  lol

1. profile image0
        ahorsebackposted 8 years agoin reply to this

A far,  far more positive movement WOULD have been if  the RE - regulation  of insurance companies AND   the health care Industry  were put  in place instead of putting the burden on the purchaser  again . for one thing .

4. Kathleen Cochran profile image77
    Kathleen Cochranposted 8 years ago

I've never understood the right's angry opposition to universal health care.  The main objection seems to be that it will cost "me" something.  Yet the right likes to represent itself as the keeper of the religious flame in America.  Churches do provide many services to those in need, but they can't provide health care.  Why is this particular need not part of our command to help "the least of these"?

1. profile image0

Eh, they'll get over it like the always do.  It's unfortunate that the uninformed, angry 30% of the population will seemingly delay progress until the end of time, but the key word is "delay," not "stop."  Conservatives are almost always on the wrong side of social change, and they cry and scream until whatever they fear comes to pass, then they realize their fears were unfounded.  Death panels, anyone?

5. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 8 years ago

I am happy for my taxes to go to making poor people healthy.  There are literally hundreds of other stupid things they could cut rather than healthcare to reduce the tax burden..

1. profile image0

Exactly. It's simply a matter of priorities.

1. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Unfortunately, the priority is not to give charity so much as it is to force everyone else to do it, whether they agree or not.  Obama perhaps said it best when he talked about taxing wealth (not income, but wealth) because he knew better than the owner what to do with it.

1. profile image0

As I keep pointing out, we are all forced to pay for something we don't like.  I don't like paying for that immoral and stupid war perpetrated by that little man surrounded by narcissistic, sociopathic war mongers.

Are we even?

Right.  So why not add more?  It is the way of the liberal, as much as religious control belongs to the conservative in this country - squeeze as much as  possible from the population because the politician knows better than the owners do how it should be spent.  It's why I like neither party and view them both as necessary evils, but also as something that must be limited as much as possible.

(Did you notice I did not fill my post with emotional terms such as immoral, stupid, little man, narcissistic, sociopathic or war mongers?  It makes the poster so much more believable and acceptable when they don't simply rant from a built in, unreasoning, prejudice?)

1. profile image0

I'm not sorry you find those terms to be "emotional."  War is that way, you know?  It's not just a matter of how much it cost in dollars; it is more a matter of what it cost humanity.  That is far more important, don't you think?

By the way, I stand by the terms I used to describe--let's be specific--Bush (the little man), Cheney (the sociopath and war monger), and Rumsfeld (the narcissistic war monger).  History will not treat any of them kindly.  I hope history will also not treat kindly the rah-rah media and cowardly legislators who enabled such a foolish and immoral endeavor.

But I digress.

My point is that, while you view using taxpayer dollars to help fund Obamacare as stealing from you (apparently funding a war isn't stealing from you?), it is merely a different priority for use of our shared resources.  One that actually helps people.

And of course you have the psych evaluations on all of those people, giving that diagnosis.  Or you've just grabbed some highly connotative terms in the hopes you can raise disgust in a reader. 

Of course it helps people!  Giving charity always does!  Today, anyway, and the needs of our children and grandchildren as the country goes bankrupt is irrelevant.  I understand that.

1. profile image0

We shall see if your dire predictions come to pass.  Typically, historically, they do not.  Only time will tell.

With regards to the other diagnoses, I actually do have a psychology degree.  lol  Although I confess they are merely an educated opinion, to which I am entitled.  big_smile

2. profile image0

By the way, it is not charity.  It is a policy decision implemented by representatives of the electorate.  Just like that costly and inhumane war. 

Personally, my values support the former and not the latter.  I'll continue to vote accordingly.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)