Panpsychism

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (47 posts)
  1. janesix profile image59
    janesixposted 8 years ago

Panpsychism is the idea that everything has some level of consciousness, down to individual atoms. I like this idea. What are your thoughts on this?

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image78
      Kathryn L Hillposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Sounds like you believe in God tonight. big_smile

janesixposted 8 years agoin reply to this

If the whole universe is God, then probably I do.

2. BuddiNsense profile image60
      BuddiNsenseposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Do your left hand think differently from right?

3. Live to Learn profile image61
      Live to Learnposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I'm a firm believer in that notion and I think we've seen some evidence to support it.

What evidence? I'd like to see that.

1. Live to Learn profile image61
          Live to Learnposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I hesitate to respond, because this is (as with many questions) dependent upon personal opinion on myriad levels prior to thoughts on this topic. As someone else pointed out, there is evidence which can imply that even on the atomic level there is some possible affirmation of change in outcomes if an observer is involved. The meaning is open to debate. It's simply an oddity which no one can currently fully explain.

But, we do see repeating patterns from the top of what we can observe all the way to the bottom of what we can observe. This implies more to me than a random collection of accidents and mutations. A progression of building on a theme. As we study life, we find that it is more complex than first imagined. Which, to me, implies that the more we study the more complex we will find it to be. Life, as we define it, is simply one of the parts of reality as we know it. I see no reason to believe that as we learn more about reality we will expand our definition of life.

As to showing you the evidence I spoke of; it's all around and in most every study of our universe that you read about. It's simply a matter of where you think the evidence leads. We all have a different opinion on what information ultimately means.

4. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 8 years agoin reply to this

What kind of evidence can be provided to show that a rock or atom has consciousness?  Until that is done, it will remain an idea only but not one that should be accepted as having any truth at all in it.

I'm not sure. I haven't thought through it yet that far.I'm not sure what evidence would show consciousness.

2. Oztinato profile image76
        Oztinatoposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Apparently experiments with atoms shows results differ if human consciousness is observing the experiment just as if there is a mutual consciousness.
        Also DNA itself which is a bunch of molecules act " intelligently " to look after its own survival  (see Dawkins/Cox/Hawking)

1. wilderness profile image95

Does that mean human consciousness has an effect or that the atom is conscious?

DNA only acts "intelligently" if you consider the laws of chemistry and physics to be "intelligent" as well, for that's all they do.

1. Oztinato profile image76
            Oztinatoposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Scientists are at a loss to explain what is happening. There appears to be a mutual interaction between human consciousness and atomic consciousness.
            DNA is just a string of molecules which atheist researchers are always crediting with sohpisticated intelligence and all kinds of motives which manifest in "our" world in everything from the choices we make, sexual preferences etc right down to the very smallest decisions, appetites and feelings. This is not basic or illusory intelligence but a highly sophisticated intelligence operating at an atomic level.

Don't be silly - you cannot draw unwarranted conclusions because you don't know the right answer.  There may be an affect on events from human consciousness, but to declare it is an interaction between consciousness's is not a valid conclusion.  Similarly, giving DNA consciousness because it follows the laws of chemistry, etc. just isn't shown by any actions, events or anything else.

5. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

To me there is a level at which consciousness can really said to occur.  I am not at it at least a third of the time so I doubt that it is a concept that can be functionally applied to my coffee cup.

6. Slarty O'Brian profile image82
      Slarty O'Brianposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I'd say atoms have a rudimentary awareness/precursor to awareness.

What makes you think so?  How can you tell?

its a valid supposition.

Again, based on what?  What makes it valid?

Based on the knowledge retained over centuries in India. Knowledge from more enlightened ages.

2. Slarty O'Brian profile image82

Proximity, forces like the week and strong, and higher energy out puts trigger responses according to physical laws. These cause and effect  auto reactions are needs. The atom needs to lower its energy output and does what it can to do so. I'm saying this is a precursor to basic awareness.

I'm not saying an atom actually feels needs or is self aware. I'm saying that more complex systems develop awareness from this dynamic A bacteria has a basic awareness even though one would wonder and perhaps doubt that it is self aware.

I see it as an evolution from auto response to rudimentary awareness, to awareness, to self awareness.

Since there is nothing but energy, energy in the form of humans is fully self aware. So it seem reasonable that energy and the laws that rule it are conducive to creating full awareness under the right conditions.

Short of there being a god, it seems logical..

"The atom needs to lower its energy output and does what it can to do so."

I don't see that.  Rather I see entropy happening without any need for consciousness.  The atom drops back to a lower state of energy because that's what things do - not because it was conscious of being "ramped up" and wanted back down.

Same for evolution; random events do not come from consciousness and neither does the ability to run away from a cheetah.  It just is, that's all.

Energy and the laws that rule it may be conducive to creating consciousness, but that does not mean that either one is also conscious at all.  Everything we know of (every single thing) that exhibits any consciousness at all is a living thing, with all that implies.  On the other hand, not a single thing that is NOT alive has ever exhibited any form of consciousness; it is logical, then, to assume that only life produces consciousness.

1. Slarty O'Brian profile image82

Didn't mention the word conscious once. smile Aware and conscious aren't the same thing.

Assumed you were using them interchangeably as the thread is about consciousness. 

What is the difference, as you see it?

1. Slarty O'Brian profile image82

Good question. It's a matter of degree. I start with auto response, a sort of hard wired instinctual reaction. Atoms don't just get blown with the wind, so to speak, they are active and interactive. Which I think is a precursor to rudimentary awareness

From there basic biology would have rudimentary awareness, It knows when some thing else is near etc. It uses mostly chemical cues. Then there is basic awareness, at this point feelings might trigger responses as well as chemical cues.

Then there is awareness with full blown emotional cues as well as more complex instinct. And then self awareness, leading to consciousness which includes communication skills, self identity in varying degrees etc, to human consciousness incorporating complex language and heightened self awareness and self identity.

2. Oztinato profile image76
    Oztinatoposted 8 years ago

The Hindus have been saying the same thing for possibly 10,000 years. To give such ideas a new Western label is not totally accurate. Hindus have been saying God is pure energy for their entire history yet many atheists have the gall to say "they got it from modern scientists"!
    There are many such examples of such behaviour. Recently some scientist tried to patent a human chromosome as if they had "invented" it. This kind of inverted thinking obscures the truth that spirituality has preceded science in areas of human thought and endeavour NOT the other way around.

I didn't even know there was a word for it until recently. Then I studied some more and learned the idea is thousands, if not tens of thousands of years old.

3. sparkster profile image85
    sparksterposted 8 years ago

This is something I've written about, I am also a believer in panpsychism, which is one of the oldest philosophies known. Its also compatible with Dr Robert Lanza's theory of biocentrism which says that consciousness continues after death. I've been researching consciousness and these kinds of theories for several years now.

4. cheaptrick profile image75
    cheaptrickposted 8 years ago

It seems we've left out the foundational question of the 'consciousness after death' debate,that is,Does self awareness remain intact after we pass?Lots of earths creatures are conscious but not self aware....so if self awareness doesn't survive death...what does survive wont matter because we wont be aware of it either...I could be wrong...but I'm not.

I personally don't believe consciousness survives beyond death. At least identity and self-consciousness. The consciousness from the life force should survive in a lesser state in the remains of the body, or passed on to bacteria etc.

< "I personally don't believe consciousness survives beyond death….">
        and this idea is based on a lack of evidence:
        A lack of evidence based upon a lack of ability to perceive reality without using the five senses.
        As I say over and over like a broken record, one needs to develop the sixth sense of intuition to comprehend the world beyond matter.

I have plenty of intuition.

"Plenty" is not an adequate amount.

Sure it is. How do you think I communicate with the universe?

If the universe is telling you there is no life after death …
                Never mind …
                You can listen to whatever universe you want to.

There is no death at all.

No, but when we are accustomed to only using the five senses, what happens when we no longer have access to them? (Well, of course, you and I (added: and sincere meditators around the world) will be able to perceive a thing or two after our hearts give out.)

2. sparkster profile image85
        sparksterposted 8 years agoin reply to this

The laws of physics say that energy cannot be created nor destroyed and yet everything, at the subatomic level (including matter and even us) is nothing more than energy.

1. cheaptrick profile image75
          cheaptrickposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Actually everything at the most fundamental level consists of relationships between abstract qualities...like brilliance and verve.You cant even say it consists of nothing cause for nothing to exist it must be conceived of which yields a unit of nothingness.Basically...we're all a bunch of blind mice trying to find the cheese and cant even prove we exist.(see Solipsism)so relax cause whoever's dream it is we exist in may wake up at any moment...then we're all screwed...simple as that

2. Kathryn L Hill profile image78

...yet we feel and have joy. Perhaps love and joy are prompters of energy and atoms and it all goes down-hill from there.

5. profile image53
    shelliwardposted 8 years ago

But I went in with the same amount of things I went in with and didn't leave any tags because the dressing room had other clothes left in it from a previous person. Then the earnings they found in my purse they took the pair if silver ones and didn't take the gold ones or the ring. Then I was told I couldn't use my phone and to turn it off and they took it from me and in the room while waiting for the police they questioned me about the other things in my purse that had nothing to do with their store or were stolen. My personal things they asked me why I had this and why I had the stuff in my wallet like a copy if my husband's social security card and I'd and I was being guarded and the exit was not an option.

6. Kathryn L Hill profile image78
    Kathryn L Hillposted 8 years ago

That knowledge is this:
    Sri Yukteswar said, "The Eternal Father, God, Swami Param-brahma is the only Real Substance, Sat, and is in all the universe." He goes on to explain, "The Almighty Force, Sakti, or in other words the Eternal Joy, Ananda, which produces the world; and omniscient Feeling, Chit, which makes the world conscious, demonstrate the nature, Prakriti, of God the Father." The Holy Science by Sri Yukteswar

7. janesix profile image59
    janesixposted 8 years ago

http://i.imgur.com/od5vz4C.jpg

Even the Universe is conscious.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)