Why do atheists seem to congregate in the religious forums?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (63 posts)
  1. janesix profile image60
    janesixposted 10 years ago

It seems odd to me why atheists flock to the religious forums.

They continue to ask for evidence of God, knowing they won't get any.

It seems that they are there soley to mock believers in spirituality and God.

1. Zubair Ahmed profile image75
      Zubair Ahmedposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I think they flock to religious forums simply because they don't realise that subconsciously their inner soul is searching for GOD.  ONly problem they are too stubborn to agree with their souls.  They ask questions about GOD knowing very well that what they accept about there being no-GOD is nothig but conjecture and misinformation.

1. A Troubled Man profile image59
        A Troubled Manposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That, even when we understand souls, inner, outer, upper, lower, whatever... have never been shown to exist. That's like saying we don't realize subconsciously we are searching for leprechauns riding unicorns.

2. A Troubled Man profile image59

You mean, knowing that believers will never produce any evidence, because they don't have any, but they will dishonestly continue to claim they have seen and spoken with their god.

If you act like kindergarten children, then you will get laughed at. smile

1. Zubair Ahmed profile image75
        Zubair Ahmedposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hi ATM,

I'm glad that we can still have this conversation and not throw our toys at each other like some silly little kids.

3. Uninvited Writer profile image80
      Uninvited Writerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Explore»Religion and Philosophy»Discussions

Note Philosophy as well...

1. profile image0
        Rad Manposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Crap, you beat me to it. It's Religion and Philosophy. Although I'm interested in the phycology of religion and philosophy.

2. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 10 years ago

It does appear that way for a limited number of them. Apparently one, maybe two, at the moment. If they get their jollies off that way, you should be happy for them that they are entertaining themselves. I wouldn't engage in conversation with anyone I found offensive and is solely interested in mocking you. It isn't worth the frustration.

If you notice, they only bother the people they know they bother. The ones they can't find an angle to upset; they leave alone.

1. Disappearinghead profile image60
      Disappearingheadposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'm glad we do have the atheists about here; I think they add much to the debate and occasionally I find ATM hilarious.

I think they bother those who make large claims without a supporting argument. They know that the believer can offer no evidence, that's fair enough, but the believer who makes claims with a "because the bible says" is setting themselves up as a target. If the believer forms a good argument that shows they have thought their position through, then I usually see respect from the atheist follows.

1. profile image0
        Emile Rposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I agree, on all counts. But, I do find some of the arguments presented by the most contentious to be as unsupportable as the ones they are mocking. It devolves into a holier than thou vs holier than thou. I guess we've all caught ourselves in that position from time to time; but I consider a true atheistic view to be separated from that. 

How can simple belief be so insulting? I don't have to believe any of it. But, if all someone said is that they found God it, by my thinking, simply means they were lacking something in their lives and that void was filled. Rampant mockery tells me the one mocking recognizes a similar void in themselves and begrudges the fact another human filled the void.

I get arguing the actions and words which result from belief. An interpretation can ostracize. It can cause emotional harm. It can start wars. However, I don't get open rebellion against belief. It's like the argument in defense of the right to own a firearm. God doesn't hurt people. People hurt people.

1. Disappearinghead profile image60
          Disappearingheadposted 10 years agoin reply to this

OK I'll modify my stance a little. There are atheists here who are respectful and respect a good intellectual debate. There are others who believe they have reached some nirvana of atheist enlightenment and consider believers to be either of lower intelligence, or simpletons that can't think for themselves.

To be honest the old 'where is the evidence for God' debates are rather boring now and I tend to leave them alone. Much more interesting is where the atheist parks their unbelief to one side and takes up a 'hypothetical' position of debating with the believer over what they think God is like; what interpretations of religious texts could mean; or the historical framework in which they were written. For example the ancient historian Bettany Hughes who's done a number of documentaries on British television is not a believer herself, but she marvels at the bible as a great work in itself, finds it a fascinating insight into Jewish culture and history.

It's the intelligent debates on both sides that makes Hubpages interesting.

1. profile image0

Again, agreed.

2. profile image0
            Motown2Chitownposted 10 years agoin reply to this

All so true and well stated, DH.  I've noticed that in my time at HP, as I've developed sincere friendships with folks who believe quite differently from me, that each began with an actual dialogue where we all set aside our preconceived notions of how believers and nonbelievers should communicate and moved on from there. 

I think there is a mindset among those who discuss religion, from whatever side, that every discussion has to be an argument.  Every conversation has to have a person defending a position rather than two people actually attempting to understand the position of the other.  And, the nature of the conversation already determines that neither person can defend their position perfectly due to the ultimately unknown nature of the subject.

It's an interesting and vital subject to discuss.  What happens too often, IMO, is that people lose sight of the subject and because they can't rein it back in, they resort to mockery, insults, and antagonistic attitudes in an effort to continue the conversation. 

Short answer - atheists find the subject interesting or they wouldn't attempt to discuss it.  As do believers.  If they could both find a way to discuss it with continuity and respect, it would be endlessly enlightening.

1. profile image0
              Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

"Short answer - atheists find the subject interesting or they wouldn't attempt to discuss it.  As do believers.  If they could both find a way to discuss it with continuity and respect, it would be endlessly enlightening."

Perfect.

3. profile image0

To all theists within hearing/reading distance.

I've been guilty of asking for evidence. You are right in that I ask and know I'll not receive anything, but I only ask it from those who make the claim that God supplies information to them or they have one on one contact with God. They always say it doesn't work that way and they are correct because that voice they claim to hear doesn't come from outside their head, that's why it doesn't work that way.

When they stop making those claims I'll stop asking for evidence.

1. profile image0

Filipinos 32:4.5 "Thou shall not ask for evidence. This is abhorrent to the Lord thy God."

1. profile image0

LOL Why must you always bring race into the conversation?

1. profile image0

Are you implying the Lord thy God is another ethnic group? They told me he was white, Anglo Saxon and protestant. Is there no end to the lies?

1. profile image0

You just told me he was Filipino.

2. profile image0
                    Motown2Chitownposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Everyone knows Jesus is Catholic.  He's dark, swarthy, and most importantly, poor.  That's what Catholics are.  Hence...

big_smile

lol

1. profile image0

And I had you pegged for a non believer. How many people has God hurt? I've been curious for evidence in his existence. An approximate number (or, heck, any) would be helpful.

2. profile image0

Bingo. We have a winner.

3. profile image0
    Beth37posted 10 years ago

All really good comments.

4. insearchof truth profile image85
    insearchof truthposted 10 years ago

I have often wondered about the question posed by this post too. I don't know what the answer is.

5. profile image0
    Beth37posted 10 years ago

"If you act like kindergarten children, then you will get laughed at."

And he says he never makes personal insults.

1. profile image0

Maybe he was simply explaining why he feels that he is being laughed at.

It isn't, sorry you have yet to understand.

1. profile image0

Right, cause that wasn't even slightly condescending.

Actually, this is what is really condescending...

1. profile image0

Z man said Christianity was make believe. I decided if he could state that as if it were fact, I would also share my beliefs factually. Claiming something is fact does not necessarily make it so. I'm sure we would both agree on that.

But, you will claim your God is a fact, nonetheless.

1. profile image0

And you will claim He is not. Get how this works?

Yes, you claim an invisible super being talks to you and I claim recommended professionals for you to see.

1. profile image0

Would you like to play scrabble? smile

6. Zelkiiro profile image87
    Zelkiiroposted 10 years ago

Because letting people stagnate in make-believe nonsense and ignorance is, ironically, not something Jesus would have done.

1. profile image0

You are not correct in thinking that God is not real.
      You are not correct in thinking that He didn't create you.
      You are not correct in thinking He doesn't love you.
      You are not correct to mock Him.

Now you can't say you were never told.

lol The God Police.

2. profile image51
      Lie Detectorposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You feel the need to rescue people?

7. donotfear profile image84
    donotfearposted 10 years ago

Why do atheists seem to congregate in the religious forums?

Ya know, you've got a good point!  Hah!!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)