Mental health issues

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (10 posts)
  1. janesix profile image59
    janesixposted 10 years ago

Many people here know I'm bipolar. I've been rediagnosed as schizoaffective. That's besides the point though, I want to talk about the mental health care system. It may be different for people with money, but I don't know. I know it's super tough for poor people though.

The past couple weeks have been horrible for me. I was fully manic, with obvious psychosis. I knew I was having problems, and called 911 three or four times, and went to the ER. I kept getting sent back home. They refused to even look for a bed in an in patient facility for me.

Beds are supposedly hard to get. I don't think they really are though, for reasons I will explain later.

After the third ER visit, my sister took my to a hospital two hours away to try to get me a bed. They refused because I missed an appointment, and was "noncompliant" in taking my meds, because I forgot to take them. Because I was psychotic. My meds weren't working. And I didn't miss my appointment, my doctor cancelled on me. I had also refused the Ativan they offered, because I just wanted to get the psychosis treated, I felt I could deal with the anxiety on my own.

Anyway, I called 911 again a fourth time, this time asking them to arrest me because I wanted to be helped in some type of facility because my psychosis and mania were so bad. The ended up getting me a bed in an inpatient facility, finally, but only because when they asked me if I was suicidal, I said yes.

The thing that makes me the maddest about the whole thing is that the facility was only half full. They had plenty of beds, and still do. Luckily I got help BEFORE I actually committed suicide. I am surprised the system is this messed up.

(I am not seeking sympathy here, I just wanted to tell my story, and discuss how the system might be made better.)

1. profile image0
      Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

My dear Jane, my heart breaks for you. I'm so sorry, I know you're at the end of your rope. I wish I could help. Please do not give up, whatever you do. I know firsthand what life can do to you; chew you up and spit you out. A few years back I was hallucinating and was in the darkest place. I was desperate for help and couldn't find any. I hung on though, God did not let me go, but He did not immediately take me out of my circumstances. He let me survive them with His help. I am stronger now and in a few years you will be too. You will get help of some kind, in time and you will look back on this time and wonder how you ended up here, but you will also see the miracle that brought you out of it. Do not give up! You are important. You are wanted. You are necessary. You are loved!

janesixposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Beth. I'm OK for the moment. I'm trying new meds right now, and home. I have a very supportive family to fall back on, so I consider myself extremely lucky.

1. profile image0
          Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

You are. You are blessed. I'm so glad you have someone. God bless you.

2. profile image0
    Motown2Chitownposted 10 years ago

Jane, is there any sort of community mental health network where you are?  I've been blessed to live in two counties in different states where I was able to be treated by such facilities.  Normally, they are able to get you a psychiatrist and/or therapy (in an individual or group setting) at very little or no cost depending on your ability to pay.  I found them both by googling "community mental health in (X) county" or "free mental health care in (X) county." It's not ideal, but it works. 

If county searches do no good try your specific city or zip code as well.  Often there's a short waiting period.  In that case, if you're able, maybe you can find a primary care provider who will at least help with scripts in the interim.

Peace.  Know that you have a support network out here too of people who have been there.  I hope it works out.  Also, feel free to email me through my contact link if I can help in any way.

It might be worth checking into support groups through the Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance (DBSA) online as well.  Sometimes they have resources they can point you to locally.

Thanks, Motown. I just recently got insurance, and I have appointments all lined up, starting Wednesday. I still need to get a therapy session worked out, but right now I'm just trying to get the meds straightened out.

1. gmwilliams profile image83
        gmwilliamsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Jane, you are a truly brave woman admitting to what you have.  Get the proper treatment and also meditate.  God wish you well always.

Thank you GM:)

2. profile image0
        Motown2Chitownposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'll be praying for you.  I truly know what it's like to be where you are.  The best advice I can give is to not give up...persistence is the one thing that paid off for me!  Hang in there, sister.  It will work out and your new stability will be completely worth it! big_smile That insurance will be a huge, huge help!!

3. Christopher Jay T profile image70
    Christopher Jay Tposted 8 years ago

If you get that bad again tell the people you are suicidal or homicidal, and they will have to take you, it's the law. I know it's lying, but you gotta do what you got to do. Although some states have more resources for the mentally ill, the industry needs an overhaul. I believe every state should have mental health services for people with no money or insurance.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)