New Interface for Hub Groups

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (33 posts)
  1. Marina Lazarevic profile image75
    Marina Lazarevicposted 8 years ago

Hi everyone! Today we released an update to the Hub Groups interface in My Account. The new interface closely matches the About the Author UI and should be familiar to many of you. Please note that we did not make any functional changes to Hub Groups (such as integrating it with About the Author) in this update. For more detailed instructions on how to use the new Groups interface, click on the blue “help” link located at the top right corner of the page.  Let us know if you have questions or experience any problems using the new page!

1. LongTimeMother profile image92
      LongTimeMotherposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Hello Marina. I will be interested to see if other hubbers find this change as frustrating as I do.

Yes, I can see the hubs in each group when I click on 'edit' near the group title, but it annoys me that I can't see them all at once, can't change their order like we used to, and can't see how to add a new hub into a specific slot between existing hubs within that group.

I did click the 'help' link hoping there would be an instruction about how to see the 'big picture' (ie all hubs in a group at once), but sadly there's no such option.

It is of little use to me to view only three hubs in a group at any one time.

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
        DzyMsLizzyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

In the groups box, on the right, you can drag to re-order the titles,   I wondered about that, myself, and it does say that in the 'help' box..although it does seem worded a bit like an afterthought.
        And yes, it would be nice to see at least as many title at once in that box as in the main box.  But, overall, I like the feature.

2. Marina Lazarevic profile image75
        Marina Lazarevicposted 8 years agoin reply to this

We will make the drag and drop functionality clearer in the instructions - thanks for the quick feedback! As DzyMsLizzy pointed out, you can change the order of Hubs within a group by dragging and dropping the titles in the second box on both the Add Group and Edit Group overlays. To add a new Hub into a specific slot between existing Hubs within a Group:

- open a group by clicking the "edit" button
        - add the Hub
        - move it to the position you want by dragging and dropping the title

You can see all Hubs in a group at once by scrolling through the list of selected Hubs. This isn't perfect, but it works.

Could you further explain the benefits of seeing all Hubs in a Group at any one time? Do you see this as fundamental to the Hub Groups feature or more of a 'nice to  have'? I'd also love to hear more opinions about this!

1. sallybea profile image95
          sallybeaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I preferred the way it was, but this does give one an opportunity to assess whether or not each hub was placed in the correct category in the first place. I can clearly see now that I could have done a better job.  How important is it to have the hubs grouped correctly, does this grouping have any impact on the related hubs feature?

No, there's no impact on related Hubs.

1. Jean Bakula profile image92
              Jean Bakulaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I immensely dislike it. I still have Groups, but no individual hubs are listed under them. I tried fixing and dragging the hubs back to the correct groups, and they won't stay there. I don't want to have to re-categorize 152 hubs now. What a mess.

Hi Jean,
                Your Groups should not have changed in any way. This was just a visual update to the page in My Account. brakel2 has the answer here: http://hubpages.com/forum/post/2754970

2. Homeplace Series profile image56
                Homeplace Seriesposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Hate it... cannot add orphan hub to existing groups... awful!!! Why would you do this??????

2. sallybea profile image95

Thanks Marina, that is useful to know.

2. Venkatachari M profile image83
      Venkatachari Mposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Hi, Marina. Thanks for the new features and developments. But, I would like to suggest that when I am seeing my Hub Groups, I see only hubs that have been grouped. The orphan hubs or not visible in my Hub Groups page, right?
      I would like to see my orphan hubs also here itself, if you can include one group titled "Orphan" there itself and put all orphan hubs in it. I hope it can be possible.
      So, when I am viewing my Groups page, I can immediately know that I have left some hubs without grouping. For example, my total hubs are 32. But, when I am viewing my Groups page, I am seeing only 30 hubs when I add the totals in each group. So, balance 2 hubs may be shown as Orphan there itself so that I can immediately put them in the group that I may want.
      Thanks, in anticipation.

1. Glenn Stok profile image96
        Glenn Stokposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Venkatachari, When you edit any group you will see the orphans on the left. You can click the "add" button to add any orphan hub to the group you are presently editing. Or click " remove" and it goes back to the orphan list.

1. Venkatachari M profile image83

That I have noticed later and added orphans to the groups. But, still, I recommend for adding a "orphan group" by default to show how many hubs are lying orphan, so when you total all groups, the total is equal to your number of hubs at a glance.

I agree. it would be good to have the orphan groups together.  I deleted one and then clean forgot which one it was when I was interrupted whilst I was doing it.

1. makingamark profile image69
              makingamarkposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I agree - I always thought the problem with the last system and this one is that it's difficult to spot orphans AND then move them.

Having an Orphan Group would mean that they would automatically be added to that when removed from another group

3. Homeplace Series profile image56
      Homeplace Seriesposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for getting the Groups interface 'fixed' - it works fine, now. Much appreciated... better than ever!! ;-)

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
    DzyMsLizzyposted 8 years ago

I LIKE it!!  This is going to be SO much easier than trying to drag single titles one at a time, halfway or more up the page.

Thank you, team, for this new feature!

Just wonder where I find the orphaned Hubs as I noticed I had one categorized in the wrong section and I deleted it and could not remember which one it was:)

1. LongTimeMother profile image92

It should be in the box on the left, sally. That's where available hubs hang out, waiting to be added to a group.

I think I took it off because it was in the wrong place.  Will have another look, thank you LongTimeMother.

3. paradigm search profile image54
    paradigm searchposted 8 years ago

My thoughts...

The old way was the "map" method. I liked it.

The new way is a different gestalt perception, "listing methodology" as it were. It made me consider scrapping everything back to orphan and redoing using the new method. Still contemplating that.

I'd like both methods available, Map method and List method buttons. I think each is useful in its own way.

4. LongTimeMother profile image92
    LongTimeMotherposted 8 years ago

Marina, you asked "Could you further explain the benefits of seeing all Hubs in a Group at any one time? Do you see this as fundamental to the Hub Groups feature or more of a 'nice to  have'? "

Here's my thoughts on why it is so valuable to be able to see all hubs within a group on a full page ...

1) Every now and then I write a new hub that expands on a previous thought, or looks at a similar issue from a slightly different perspective, or is similar to one or more existing hubs and I can see it would be logical to position those hubs together within their group so they appear in the 'previous' and 'next' positions for readers.

2) Occasionally I write a hub that (intentionally or unintentionally) 'bridges' the gap between two hubs, and suddenly it makes sense to put those three hubs together.

3) I've also been known to look for alternatives as the 'previous' and 'next' - particularly if I'd like to draw a little more attention to a particular hub that's not getting much traffic - so perhaps a better strategy would be to embrace a popular hub with lesser known hubs for a while, just to see what happens.

In all those examples, it is essential to see the full list of hubs within a group. The new system prevents me from viewing the 'big picture' and by the time I scroll up and down the list, I've lost interest and therefore won't bother trying to make improvements and alterations.

Is it possible to add an option for viewing the 'full list' on occasions such as those I've outlined?

I understand that I could make many more groups than I currently have, with just a few hubs that are very specific ... but I feel that kind of defeats the purpose of 'grouping' to catch the attention of readers who may also be interested in other hubs relevant to a theme,

5. Glenn Stok profile image96
    Glenn Stokposted 8 years ago

Marina,

At first I liked the new design. I was immediately able to use it without a learning curve because it uses exactly the same interface as the Author Bio feature.

But after playing with it, I suddenly realized a major lose. For those of us who monitor "visitor flow" on our Google Analytics, this new interface limits our ability to manage our Groups well.

Just as LongTimeMother explained in her comment above, I also like to view the entire layout as "the big picture."   This allows me to compare to what Google shows me as drop-off points where I am losing visitors.

I routinely go into my Group Management page and move things around accordingly to improve the flow so visitors find something more related to what they just read, in an effort to keep them around.

Now with the new interface I can't do that anymore. 

This new interface is like peeking through a tiny peephole to view just a few hubs at once. This makes it impossible to see where we have placed things and how they relate to one another in our group lists. 

I totally agree with all the points LongTimeMother had made in her comment above.   

I hope this feedback is helpful so that a decision is made to leave the old interface, or at least give us both options. 

One last thought - I perfectly understand what DzyMsLizzy was saying in another forum thread about dragging hubs so far that you drop it in some unknown place and can't find it anymore. May I suggest a solution - using the old method - but adding a holding location where one can drag a hub into, scroll up or down to the new location, and then drag from the holding location to the desired location. The holding location will be accessible no matter where you are in the list.

1. Venkatachari M profile image83

Good points raised by you and Long Time Mother. It is really difficult to arrange hubs when a group contains even a bit more than 10 hubs.

2. Marina Lazarevic profile image75

Thanks for the detailed feedback, Glenn and LTM. You concerns have been noted, and upon discussion, we've decided to implement a compromise solution that allows you to view the "big picture" on the main page without having to open the overlays. This will be a view-only thing, i.e., you will not be able to move Hubs between groups via dragging and dropping like before.

One of the reasons we updated this UI to match About the Author was to streamline some code. Technically speaking, the two features work very similarly to one another. If they can share much of the same code, that means less overall code for us to maintain. It's important to do this type of cleanup wherever we can so that the site runs more reliably and efficiently.

I hope this solution will work well enough for those that like to frequently view and update their Hub Groups.

1. Glenn Stok profile image96
        Glenn Stokposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Marina. At least it's a compromise. I appreciate that. It's still a two-step process now to maintain our groups, but at least we can do it in an efficient manner as before. Thank again.

2. LongTimeMother profile image92

Thank you. It is nice to be able to see the full lists within groups again!

6. Nell Rose profile image89
    Nell Roseposted 8 years ago

I love it! thanks! I do keep forgetting to add a new hub to a group so this is really helpful!

7. makingamark profile image69
    makingamarkposted 8 years ago

I investigated - and then tried to add an Orphan Hub into a group - at which point I got a message that the name of my group was "not allowed".

Not allowed? Duh?

This is the name of an EXISTING GROUP which has been around for nearly a year.  It includes an ampersand. I suggest somebody edits the software to make absolutely routine symbols usable within group titles!

1. Matthew Meyer profile image71
      Matthew Meyerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Group names currently do not support special characters like the ampersand.

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
        DzyMsLizzyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Well, why the H-E-double-toothpicks not??!!  lol

1. Matthew Meyer profile image71
          Matthew Meyerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

We have plans to address this soon and remove the limitation for special characters. We will make an announcement when that feature has been added. Thanks for your patience.

2. makingamark profile image69
        makingamarkposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Well it has done for the last year!  So what changed?

Does Hubpages not now use the standard symbols used in everyday English Language?  That's a backward step in my book!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)